Author Topic: Outcasters Starship  (Read 44280 times)

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Outcasters Starship
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2010, 04:18:45 PM »
Ok, let me clarify my shout:

It was medium difficulty and I had salvaged the second wreckage and brought it to my spaceport. I was on the way to the third wreckage, when I lost. I was under attack, but that were some combat vecs on the open map. My base was not under attack. A disaster destroying both of my ccs in different lokations is unlikely.

Apart from that, the map has some more issues:
1. when I attack the Plymouth base in the north, some Panthers just sit there and don't defend it.
2. when I destroy a mine in that base, the ai sends a robo-miner to rebuild when my combat vecs are still in the way.
3. you should think about splitting the first objective into four or maybe even eight. Its sometimes hard to keep track of which lighttowers I have already visited and I sometimes fail to have the evac ready after I scanned the tower.
4. in another try my sf got destroyed by a disaster. You may argue that it was my fault to have only one sf, but imo disasters should not be so powerful.

And another thing that you may judge for yourself: After I built up lynx production and built some lynxes I was able to easily destroy any enemy base on the map. Thats, because Eden has so many bases that the vec limit allows only a few vecs per base. And when they attack me they often come one by one and thats how I destroy them.

All of this is not meant to discourage you. I rather want to give you the info that you need in order to make this map fun to play.

Offline Flashy

Outcasters Starship
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2010, 04:39:42 PM »
1)Some Guarded rects will help there.
2)Thats the automatical rebuild function, it's not easy to change it.
3)I want to wait with that since there are quite a few triggers and i didn't ount them all.
4)u.... I know those situations. In Eden population i experienced the same after 10 marks. Thats frustrating.

The Eden attack problem is already fixed(In the source) and will be available later.
Praise the mighty light towers!!!

Offline evecolonycamander

Outcasters Starship
« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2010, 05:44:14 PM »
three things...
one) remember my glitch i found? the one with me suddenly losing... well i now believe they are one end the same. i had done all of the same things described here for it to happen.

two) change some of the extra Eden bases to Plymouth... its just not realistic to have them hold the world by shear force

three) storyline complete
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 08:30:53 AM by evecolonycamander »
''The blight cant get us up here!''
-famous last words
--------------o0o--------------
Outpost 2: EoM project status: Re-planning

Offline stillhere

Outcasters Starship
« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2011, 02:09:14 PM »
i downloaded and finished the colony game and was wondering if you are still working on it or has it been postponed?

as for crashing i know that it crashed on me 3 times in a row when i went to build a gorf, and then i didnt build one after that

Offline Zardox Xheonov

Outcasters Starship
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2011, 08:45:38 AM »
its postponed, although i do have plans. I will be using my ICE tileset mod to run the next colony game... i also have an exciting novella to go with it that yours truly is working on... though i only work on it when im in the mood.

So anyways i have the novella that explains alot of the story line, but not the missions yet. Chapter one is done.... need to finish chapter two then chapter three will explain the new setting for the story.

Are any of you wounderful people curious about my novella? or my ICE tileset mod?

(the ICE mod is not that good according to my critics; it required little effort, but i think it looks cool)

so yeah talk to flashy about that crash...

EDIT: i will be releaseing my first of many cheats to my colony; i only say it once in shout box, from there it all ears and listening.... XD beware only use it once and dont forget the / key. anyways this cheat was designed to make the game more fo a chalange.... see for yourself :P
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 10:01:24 AM by Lord Of Pain »
Hit me up on discord, if I am online, you know I'll be gaming.

(Lord Of Pain is no more, I am currently now "Zardox" and have been for awhile on other platforms.)

Offline Flashy

Outcasters Starship
« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2011, 02:56:35 PM »
Im getting no problems with a gorf here. I really should have added a version number. Do you have a savegame?

Outcasters Starship
« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2011, 11:11:38 PM »
EDIT: i will be releaseing my first of many cheats to my colony; i only say it once in shout box, from there it all ears and listening.... XD beware only use it once and dont forget the / key. anyways this cheat was designed to make the game more fo a chalange.... see for yourself :P
Oh great. you realize that this is going to be abused and make the game worthless. besides, if i need to cheat i just open up my old trainer or CE. unless the cheat has some sort of repercussion(spawns attack force in your base or makes blight appear at CC), then it should be removed
-famous last words

Offline Hidiot

Outcasters Starship
« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2011, 01:18:20 AM »
Good point for the first half, ecc.

My suggestion: Work more on making the difficulty levels balanced, instead of using artificial methods.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 01:18:40 AM by Hidiot »
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Zardox Xheonov

Outcasters Starship
« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2011, 07:54:41 AM »
it does spawn fight groups... this was merely an easteregg for my colony game. If it becomes a problem i won't release my uber scorpion cheat XD
Hit me up on discord, if I am online, you know I'll be gaming.

(Lord Of Pain is no more, I am currently now "Zardox" and have been for awhile on other platforms.)

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Outcasters Starship
« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2011, 09:40:20 AM »
If you want to add easter eggs, you should use something more original than a text message. Sensible easter eggs don't make the game harder nor easier, but merely add some fun to it.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Outcasters Starship
« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2011, 04:28:07 AM »
perfect example of a good easter egg: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DDsARMTdAg  *uploader incorrectly lables it an outtake, there is a sequence of items to click in game to unlock it)
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Hidiot

Outcasters Starship
« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2011, 10:13:36 PM »
Your present upload, crashes my game on start up.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Flashy

Outcasters Starship
« Reply #87 on: March 13, 2011, 11:54:05 AM »
Really? Try this one and tell me if it works.

Outcasters Starship
« Reply #88 on: March 13, 2011, 03:10:04 PM »
that Easter egg... hmm.. i have that particular game. i guess i will be looking for it now :/
-famous last words

Offline Leviathan

Re: Outcasters Starship
« Reply #89 on: October 10, 2015, 09:43:17 PM »
Hi

First time I have seen this project. Its really nice work, lot of effort has gone into this. Nice Colony Game for people!

Do you still have the source code Lord of Pain ?

Here is current download: outcasters101.zip

:)

Offline dave_erald

« Reply #90 on: October 23, 2015, 10:22:55 PM »
Just found and started playing. I would really like to try and make my own colony game one day. I've got VS2015, maybe I should learn to code.
-David R.V.

-GMT400 fan
-OPU Influencer

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2015, 08:13:26 PM »
Yes you should :)

I think it would maybe be a good idea for as a community we start work on a new open source colony game on the SVN. Do some planing first.. open a new thread maybe :)

I also have not worked on a colony game and would like to.

Offline dave_erald

« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2015, 08:53:39 PM »
Honestly if I had an end goal for a new colony game it would be to have one with more variety at startup. I literally have just recently gotten the bug to code and give this game a full one two.

Would VS2015 read the code for this map and be able to alter it? I have the time and can do this I just need some reading material to get started.

I guess I should ask this guy if he would let me even do it...
-David R.V.

-GMT400 fan
-OPU Influencer

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: October 26, 2015, 03:53:17 AM »
There are some sample starter level projects in the SVN. I suggest taking a look at those first.

To access the SVN you'll need an SVN client. A good standalone client is Tortoise SVN. There might be some built in SVN functionality with the newer versions of Visual Studio. You can use the SVN address: https://svn.outpostuniverse.org:8443/svn/outpost2

Let us know how your attempts go so we know how to help you along.

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: January 05, 2016, 01:38:08 PM »
Just finished Outcaster's Starship. The map was fun to play with a lot of wreckage locating and some unique objectives like having to repair a colony. I also found the AI in-fighting interesting to watch.

The first playthrough I did get stuck. I blew up the advanced lap of the enemy Plymouth colony and then could not get the wreckage out of the lab. On a second playthrough, I left the lab intact and was able to salvage the wreckage and complete the map. Has anyone had trouble with the advanced lab, or was it just me?