Poll

Should we do away with the 5-mark warnings, when 10-mark warnings are active?

Yes
7 (46.7%)
No
8 (53.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: 5-mark Warnings  (Read 2258 times)

Offline Hidiot

5-mark Warnings
« on: June 15, 2010, 11:35:21 AM »
This question is put forth from a pure game play perspective. If approved, it still may not make it into the game, unless someone who is skilled with modding the game implements it, or someone who is not so skilled manages to succeed.

Would people find it better that, once a disaster is covered by the 10-mark warning, the 5-mark warning be turned off?

You currently have the following three disaster warnings:
- When it happens (vortex / electrical storm / volcanic eruption detected and meteor approaching)

- 5 marks before it happens (vortex / electrical storm / volcanic eruption / meteor impact imminent)

-10 marks before it happens (vortex / electrical storm / volcano / meteor watch initiated)

The 5-mark waning becomes redundant and often clutter when a lot of disasters happen. If we get a 10-mark warning for a particular disaster, we already know what area we want evacuated / idled.  
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Kayedon

5-mark Warnings
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 10:09:09 PM »
While I voted Yes, I do see a reason to keep them. If a lot is going on, one might accidentally miss a 10-mark warning and then end with a meteor taking a vital structure or something. The 5-mark is both annoying and a very useful back up.  
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Offline Sirbomber

5-mark Warnings
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 11:19:07 PM »
I voted no.  For one, to "fix" this would be a massive waste of time to get rid of something inconvenient at worse.  Personally, I like having the double warnings.  The warnings at ten marks lets me know whether I have to worry or not.  If I need to move some vehicles or idle some structures, the five-marker is a more urgent reminder of that, and generally I put a bit more thought into ensuring the safety of vital units/structures during that period of time.

So, I guess this is my thought process.
At ten marks (assuming the danger is relevant):
-Wrap up whatever I'm doing elsewhere on the map so I can focus on the impending disaster.
-Start idling structures and moving units out of the way as applicable.

At five marks:
-At this point my full attention is on the upcoming disaster.
-Make some predictions about the size, direction and damage potential of the disaster as applicable.
-I make some last minute calculations and judgment calls.  Combat units are relocated safely away and spread out so at the very least my defenses aren't crippled.  Cargo Trucks and ConVecs are moved as well, though they're generally kept closer so they can get back to work as quickly as possible.
-Vehicle Factories start to produce Repair Vehicles to fix up any damage as quickly as possible.

So while it may bother some people, to me having two warnings for the same disaster is a pretty important part of my disaster management process.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials