Author Topic: Black Holes  (Read 30102 times)

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Black Holes
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2010, 11:45:45 AM »
talking about the inside of a black hole is like talking about the future:

you can say a million different things and one is bound to be correct, but it doens't mean you were right.  Until we can somehow find a way to build a probe that can survive past the event horizon, we won't ever know about the center.  Therefore, asking such questions is futile.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Zardox Xheonov

Black Holes
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2010, 12:58:27 PM »
I don't know about blackholes/darkholes w/e, but...
There is infact a theory of what occurs inside wormholes....
It's like a sideways vortext with lightning going through the edges.
Ever heard of the bermuda triangle? because of the Eath's magnetic field and all the lead at that area, there have been some mysteries that scientist are still trying to solve. Like how one of our air planes arrived at miami from latin america within 30 mins of flight.... It's un realistic, but it happens. Plus all those people who have gone lost within that region..... Yes there are scientific theories behind this.
But there is no clear explination for them as of now.
Worms holes bend the fabric of space and time (according to scientists).

so any comments questions? (i'll be back on 5 hours from now to check).
Hit me up on discord, if I am online, you know I'll be gaming.

(Lord Of Pain is no more, I am currently now "Zardox" and have been for awhile on other platforms.)

Offline Kayedon

Black Holes
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2010, 02:13:38 PM »
talking about the inside of a black hole is like talking about the future:

you can say a million different things and one is bound to be correct, but it doens't mean you were right.  Until we can somehow find a way to build a probe that can survive past the event horizon, we won't ever know about the center.  Therefore, asking such questions is futile.
And of course, then we'd have to deal with all the possibilities. If it just destroys everything, that's gonna be one strong-ass probe. If it's a wormhole, we're gonna need a bigger antenna. etc etc.
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Offline evecolonycamander

Black Holes
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2010, 03:11:01 PM »
uhh... if only they where lost. the planes have been are found(♪under the sea♪). now back to the topic. do you think that at pressures that high fission/fusion can occur. i know that neutron stars have "earth"quakes so that means some form of geological activity is occurring. can that mean that a small bit of fusion is occurring too even in the point of no return, BH's?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 03:11:32 PM by evecolonycamander »
''The blight cant get us up here!''
-famous last words
--------------o0o--------------
Outpost 2: EoM project status: Re-planning

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Black Holes
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2010, 03:27:22 PM »
well, some planes have been found, there's still no full confirmation as to whether they are the missing ones or drug cartell planes that were dumped.  Back on topic, though:

Fission is unlikely, but fusion seems almost garunteed due to the high gravitational forces.  As to the seismic events of neutron stars, I believe that is caused by energy variations, but it's been a long while since I've seen anything on the 3 odd-balls (neutron, pulsar, magnetar (yes, I know the other 2 are types of the first, but you can have a neutron star that is neither of the other two...if I remember right))
CK9 in outpost
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...

Black Holes
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2010, 04:40:04 PM »
well what about the fact that right at the event horizon fission is occurring. that has been proven  
-famous last words

Offline Kayedon

Black Holes
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2010, 04:59:53 PM »
well what about the fact that right at the event horizon fission is occurring. that has been proven
Here's an idea.

Cite your sources or stop talking.
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Black Holes
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2010, 05:02:55 PM »
Brand new school edition Textbooks the NASA website and numerous others, also the daily Washington post(newspaper). ill post there names tomorrow.  
-famous last words

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Black Holes
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2010, 07:55:57 PM »
that's the event horizon, not the core.  It makes sense for it to occur there because the ammounts of radiation that come off of a black hole.
CK9 in outpost

Black Holes
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2010, 07:17:33 AM »
well wouldent it make sence to have it uccor at the sigulary as well. it could help explain why the magnetic felds are so strong. rotation dosent explain the magnitism entirely.
sorry bout spelling.
-famous last words

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Black Holes
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2010, 09:34:58 AM »
magnetic feilds on stellar bodies are formed because of the cycling of conductive materials.  Earth has one because the molten core has a lot of iron that is constantly being moved around by thermal variation.  For stars, it's conductive plasmas forming the magnetic field.  Fission has nothing to do with magnetic fileds beyound the use of such fields to contain the reactions in theoretical power sourcces such as the tokamak (which has been dropped for a new design because it could not produce enough energy even to cover the energy cost to power it up and run it).

Sometimes, I hate that the i and the o are right next to eachother, makes me misspell quite a few words >.<
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 12:08:35 PM by CK9 »
CK9 in outpost

Black Holes
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2010, 11:27:48 AM »
well i managed to find one of the text books
Astronimy today
sorry bout spelling
-famous last words

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Black Holes
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2010, 06:06:53 PM »
first off till you get hawking on the forums to post a equation to implode all of our heads.

A black hole beyond the disk of hot gas it makes cant be directly viewed.  I suspect black holes are really what the aborigonies are really scared of taking there soul.  Also EVERY scientist referres to the inside of the black hole as a singularity which is a term of ignorance. Basicly meaning they have no f***ing idea.  And dont mix wormholes and black holes together.  theroies that they cant possibly do the same thing but one is magical and cant kill you and can only be held open by a exotic negitive matter that cant be created very easily at all or for very long. POOF.  Black holes and fission is possible but at the same time the current running idea is that its gravity is so great that it smashes every thing down to smaller then a atom.

And from what I remember Gamma ray bursts are made from the Mega Super Nova and not black holes themselves the energy given off the axis of the black holes is nothing but energy.  And seeing as black holes give off massive Xrays i believe it to be xrays coming out the axis.

You also have to remember how scientists works to.  There is this group and that group they will both say the opposite of each other.  And then there are people like the time cube guy who are completely bonkers.

freeza has spoken  

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Black Holes
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2010, 10:08:48 PM »
If I'm remembering right, there is a black hole that is giving off a fairly constant gamma-ray stream that goes straight through another galaxy (it was a special on the search for earth-like planets, talking about how that killed off any life that might have once existed there).

There is evidence of nano-scale/smaller wormholes existing through experiments that show sub-atomic particles traveling through a solid metal bar (can't remember if it was lead or something else) faster than light speed.  If I could remember which channel and what special I would link it :/
CK9 in outpost

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Black Holes
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2010, 05:52:36 AM »
Yes I know what your talking about the super massive black hole that has a plasma stream hitting another galaxy.  I dont think any one has said they are gamma ray or not tho. What is known is Gamma Ray bursts are the deaths of super massive stars before the black hole is born.  As for the earth like planets I think you are referring to the the 2 planets that orbit pulsar stars.

As for sub atomic particles travelling through things That could very well be tachyons.  The fact that we dont know what it is and we call it wormholes is just a sign of ignorance till we actually know what it is. theories are just paper till they are proven right. much like super symmetry and string theory.

Black Holes
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2010, 06:14:43 AM »
the science fiction of today could very well be the science of tomorrow
if you look back at history you will find this very true. at one point the idea for black holes was just that, an idea. it was such a bad one that the guy who proved it, Albert Einstein, thought that "Nature Can not and will not allow this." then in the center of our very own galaxy, we found proof, 7 stars are orbiting an massive unseen object.
on Monday i will post the images and simulations of the black hole
-famous last words

Offline Hidiot

Black Holes
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2010, 07:28:38 AM »
Could does not imply will.

Basically, we are trying to define an unknown by observing its effects and assuming our math is correct. A similar thing is happening with artificial intelligence, but that's another story.

I haven't delved into black holes and other modern theories, but the number of theories in circulation indicates that the end of these questions will only come once we are able to make actual measurements from within or at least around these mysterious celestial objects, be it black holes, wormholes, or others that have yet to come (the idea of yet more other objects/entities hidden to us at the moment should not be foreign to us).

On the subject of our universe's history: due to some similarities in areas of the universe that indicate their origin in the same area and their distance (which is greater what distance light could have traveled during the same time period) has led to the theory that, at least sometime during that time period, the speed of light was not the highest speed attainable by matter. Another possibility would be of some "shortcuts", possibly through real dimensions through which passage is conditioned... So, so many theoretical explanations that cover a few aspects but fall on other simultaneously applicable aspects.

Anyway, of interest is the theoretical possibility that the speed of light is not the absolute maximum. Since we can't even comprehend what happens past the speed of light, we might not even be able to detect entities found in the state of above light speed manifestation.

Are we so sure that the limits of nature we claim to know are constants? We have only been able to define and watch some of these for no more than a few hundred years. In astronomical terms, our observation of constants could be only an infinitesimal area on the graph of their evolution (those who have studied calculus should understand)

I have lost track... I might return later.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Black Holes
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2010, 08:21:06 PM »
As for the earth like planets I think you are referring to the the 2 planets that orbit pulsar stars.

No, I was talking about how astronomers are looking for earth-like planets for signs of life and possibly possible places of future human colonization (though, that is something that isn't anywhere close to the near future)
CK9 in outpost

Black Holes
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2010, 11:35:46 AM »
i forgot that i couldnt upload to this part of the forum. so sorry none of my simulations can be shown
-famous last words

Offline Sirbomber

Black Holes
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2010, 01:18:24 PM »
Then upload your "simulations" somewhere else...

Like, I dunno, the File Forum?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 01:18:47 PM by Sirbomber »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Black Holes
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2010, 03:29:15 PM »
WOW the world is full of smart A**es. lol. i find that funny. i am doing that tomorrow when i am at the computer i saved the stuff to.
-famous last words

Offline Kayedon

Black Holes
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2010, 04:30:28 PM »
Smartass is a word used to describe someone who points out the obvious to dumbasses.
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Black Holes
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2010, 07:20:39 PM »
and then there's the wiseass, but noone pays him any heed
CK9 in outpost

Offline Simpsonboy77

Black Holes
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2010, 07:38:23 PM »
I wanted to post in this earlier but I couldn't let myself get distracted from studying for finals.

There is also a thought experiment where a person approaches a black hole, and then another person watches.

The experiment goes on with the victim (person heading for the black hole) get closer and closer to the event horizon. Neglect any gravitational spaghettification that would kill him for now. From his point of view the entire universe would be speeding up and appear more blue (Doppler). From the observer the victim would get redder and more faded.

Now the instant the victim hits the event horizon (kinda need to think of a person as a point for this to work) he will see the universe end. Additionally any chance of survival is destroyed (with some exceptions explained below) because there will be so much radiation on the victim from the outside universe that he will disintegrate. This has a name, which escapes me at the moment.

Now about the odd exceptions.

I don't know much background behind this but one of Hawking's theories states that if the black hole is rotating or supermassive then a ship with large charged plates on the side could fly in without problems.

I typed this up after skimming over the thread, so please forgive me for any repeated comments.
My tutorials
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Black Holes
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2010, 11:30:56 AM »
i think the reaion is that chaerged plates alow for the magnetic fealds to not in hibit any thing at all
sorry bout spelling
-famous last words