Author Topic: Outpost Monopoly  (Read 43724 times)

Offline elwood_s

Outpost Monopoly
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2010, 08:22:20 PM »
You're right about collecting rents while in jail.   Although it's been quite a while since I played the board game, I remember in the latter part of the game, when most or all of the streets were already bought up, going to jail and staying the full four turns was considered to be a good thing...  The little bit of salary you lost was more than made up for by the rent that you avoided paying.

Another thing I noticed. Shouldn't you be able to build on the extra roll you get after rolling doubles?  That's not currently possible since the structure factory explodes every time you build a convec/residence, and doesn't regenerate until your turn comes around again normally.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 09:40:12 PM by elwood_s »

Offline evecolonycamander

Outpost Monopoly
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2010, 08:43:49 PM »
i thought this may help with what you are doing

http://mospaw.com/monopoly/monopoly-game-rules
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 08:45:54 PM by evecolonycamander »
''The blight cant get us up here!''
-famous last words
--------------o0o--------------
Outpost 2: EoM project status: Re-planning

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost Monopoly
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2010, 09:13:47 PM »
Uhh, rather than post a big spammy post, maybe you could just provide a link?
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Spikerocks101

Outpost Monopoly
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2010, 02:38:24 AM »
or used Spoilers if this forum has them...
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 02:38:50 AM by Spikerocks101 »
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Hidiot

Outpost Monopoly
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2010, 02:39:55 AM »
Well, I'll keep that list around and implement whatever doesn't cause too much havoc with my current system. You can now reduce the post to links, ecc.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 02:40:01 AM by Hidiot »
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline elwood_s

Outpost Monopoly
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2010, 09:37:26 AM »
Found a minor error.  

When Player1 landed on the Plymouth Advanced Residence (immediately below Go to Jail) the message "Pay player 2, 26 ore" was displayed, even though the lot was mortgaged.

Are these the kind of issues you're trying to weed out?  I've played a couple hundred turns through three games and haven't had a crash or other serious problem.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 07:15:18 PM by elwood_s »

Offline Hidiot

Outpost Monopoly
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2010, 10:29:09 AM »
Anything that doesn't work properly, since I'm certain there are no more crash-causing problems left. I'll look into that.

EDIT: Yeah, this was another stupid mistake of mine... I actually forgot to check if a lot is mortgaged or not when looking up the rent. Expect an update within two or three days, since I'm also working on a few other features.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 10:32:09 AM by Hidiot »

Outpost Monopoly
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2010, 08:47:49 PM »
okey like you asked it is now in link format... so do you want a tileset for this? or a map for that matter?
-famous last words

Offline Hidiot

Outpost Monopoly
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2010, 01:47:44 AM »
AtW, modified to fit the board, works fine so far. No need for any new maps or tile sets.

EDIT: An update has been released.

Pretty much everything stated in the official rules ecc posted, except auctioning (a feature which I am debating whether to add in or not) and bankruptcy (which is not automatic) has been implemented.

As always, please report bugs. Crashes, inconsistencies, things that don't work as they should, everything that looks abnormally functioning.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 08:50:26 AM by Hidiot »

Offline elwood_s

Outpost Monopoly
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2010, 03:00:17 PM »
... I actually forgot to check if a lot is mortgaged or not when looking up the rent. Expect an update within two or three days, since I'm also working on a few other features.
EDIT: An update has been released.

The June 16 update took care of the mortgage issue.  (thumbsup)

There's one problem that's been bugging me.  I hope it's not something you're already aware of that simply can't be resolved.  

In a normal Op2 game clicking on an event in the Communications Report centers the location of that event in the Detail Pane, and hitting the space bar centers the location of the most recent event in the detail pane.  In Outpost Monopoly there are many voice messages that have different replacement messages (text) in the Communications Report.   Mining location surveyed/Lot can be bought for $$$ seems to be the only replacement message that the Detail Pane centers on correctly.  The other replacement messages, when you click on them or hit the space bar, center the Detail Pane on some random location on the edge of the map.  Because of this I end up wasting a lot of time scrolling around the map looking for scouts.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 05:32:38 PM by elwood_s »

Outpost Monopoly
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2010, 08:22:37 PM »
is anything supposed to happen when you enable weather?

« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 09:02:36 PM by evecolonycamander »
-famous last words

Offline Hidiot

Outpost Monopoly
« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2010, 01:02:40 AM »
TethysGame::AddMessage has two forms, one of which takes a unit to centre on, the other which takes coordinates in pixel format.

I only used the unit form. So, it would, in theory have to centre on a unit every time. Yet, it goes to (1,512) every time. There is not much I can do about this.

The right-hand side settings (Morale Steady, Day/Night, Disasters, starting units) are disabled, because they don't really have a use. I could easily enable Day/Night (though it would still be static), if demand is high.

Offline elwood_s

Outpost Monopoly
« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2010, 06:03:31 AM »
TethysGame::AddMessage has two forms, one of which takes a unit to centre on, the other which takes coordinates in pixel format.

I only used the unit form. So, it would, in theory have to centre on a unit every time. Yet, it goes to (1,512) every time. There is not much I can do about this.
Thanks Hidiot.

I was afraid of that. :(

This may be a crazy idea but, as a work around, might there be a way that you could automatically bookmark the player's scout each time it's re-created?  That would at least provide a fast way for the player to re-locate his own scout.  I've tried bookmarking scouts manually, but of course that didn't work...  I guess the bookmark is cleared  when the scout disappears/is destroyed every time the dice are rolled.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 06:05:54 AM by elwood_s »

Offline Hidiot

Outpost Monopoly
« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2010, 06:21:51 AM »
My suggestion: don't press space bar, ever, and only move the camera around if you have anything to do.

I'm not sure if I can fix that problem without having to retrieve the Scout's location every time a message needs to be sent (Not hard, but very ugly). Be sure that if I find a viable way of fixing it, it will be fixed.

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost Monopoly
« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2010, 06:37:57 AM »
Code: [Select]
TethysGame::AddMessage(Unit1, "Test", 0, sndMessage2);
Worked fine for me.  So did this:

Code: [Select]
TethysGame::AddMessage(Unit1.Location().x*32, Unit1.Location().y*32, "Test", 0, sndMessage2);

You sure you're doing everything right?
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline elwood_s

Outpost Monopoly
« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2010, 07:26:30 AM »

If nothing else can be done, perhaps you could use the other form of AddMessage.  If "takes coordinates in pixel format" means that you specify the coordinates when you give the command, you could tell it to go to the center of the game board every time.  That would be better than the edge of the map.  

Offline Hidiot

Outpost Monopoly
« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2010, 07:30:52 AM »
Sirbomber, I'm sure I do it right, except the message gets sent to all players, so -1 in the player field.

It works in one case, but not in the others, despite the call always referencing the same unit and all players.

Offline elwood_s

Outpost Monopoly
« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2010, 02:25:11 PM »
Hi Hidiot,

I found another little hiccup.  Player2 landed on Player1's Rare Ore Smelter (lot 18) with three houses and was charged 0 Ore rent. See below.

Should have been charged 550 Ore.

Hope this helps.

Edit:

Another curious anomaly.  I'd just started a game with four players (all me).  This was the first game I'd tried with more than two players.  On his first roll, Player2 rolled a seven, which starting on GO should have put his Scout on Lot 7(Chance). Instead, Player2's Scout landed on Lot 39 (the Spaceport).  
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 08:46:04 PM by elwood_s »

Offline Hidiot

Outpost Monopoly
« Reply #68 on: June 19, 2010, 10:09:51 AM »
That picture sure hints to a bug. I'll look into it today.
Update on the above bug: Yeah... I wrote 81 instead of 18 when assigning that value. This is an ancient bug that never got found. I've added a new message I thought could be useful, so I've uploaded a new version, fix to this bug included.

There's a chance card that takes you to the Spaceport. You just got lucky.

Also, I would like to thank you, elwood, for your continued bug reports.  

Offline elwood_s

Outpost Monopoly
« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2010, 08:36:35 PM »
There's a chance card that takes you to the Spaceport. You just got lucky.
Yeah, I remember now! From the board game:  "Take a walk on the Boardwalk". :lol:

I'll try the latest and let you know if I run across anything else.

Outpost Monopoly
« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2010, 10:46:30 PM »
how are you doing the text commands? i really like the idea of trading ore between players... if only it was in the other multiplayer games.
-famous last words

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost Monopoly
« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2010, 11:26:53 PM »
i really like the idea of trading ore between players... if only it was in the other multiplayer games.
Have you by chance ever heard of the Trade Center?

Offline Spikerocks101

Outpost Monopoly
« Reply #72 on: June 20, 2010, 12:16:23 AM »
Trade Center = Evil
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Hidiot

Outpost Monopoly
« Reply #73 on: June 20, 2010, 04:09:56 AM »
Sirbomber, ecc is talking about the trade commands.

You can read the lower part of my first post here about them.

Basically, Hooman wrote a basic code hook attached to the game's chat system. I then made that hook search for certain keywords that indicate custom-built commands. If the first word is identified as a key word, the code breaks down the command and executes whatever it is supposed to, based on what kind of a command has been used.

One of those commands is for ore trading. The command allows you to trade a precise amount of ore to any other player via a simple command. Trading in lumps of 1000 was highly impractical, due to the usual numbers only ranging in the hundreds.

This is a custom map and so far, so good, this trading system works well. As for the standard Outpost 2 system, there's a very good reason as to why trading is done the way it is. It's not going to be changed.

Offline elwood_s

Outpost Monopoly
« Reply #74 on: June 20, 2010, 06:51:07 PM »
Sirbomber, ecc is talking about the trade commands.

You can read the lower part of my first post here about them.

Basically, Hooman wrote a basic code hook attached to the game's chat system. I then made that hook search for certain keywords that indicate custom-built commands. If the first word is identified as a key word, the code breaks down the command and executes whatever it is supposed to, based on what kind of a command has been used.

One of those commands is for ore trading. The command allows you to trade a precise amount of ore to any other player via a simple command. Trading in lumps of 1000 was highly impractical, due to the usual numbers only ranging in the hundreds.

This is a custom map and so far, so good, this trading system works well. As for the standard Outpost 2 system, there's a very good reason as to why trading is done the way it is. It's not going to be changed.
The Hidiot's Monopoly does trading system does work as detailed in the first post of this thread, but seems more like a transfer or gifting system to me.  

Player1 for example, can agree to "trade" his Garage/Railroad (Lot 15) to Player2 for the price of 200 Ore.  There's the potential for a problem though, because "/trade lot 15 to 2" and "/trade 200 to 1" have to be executed as two independent and non-contingent transactions. When Player1 transmits the command "/trade lot 15 to 2", Lot 15 is instantly and irrevocably transferred to Player2.  No problem as long as Player2 keeps his end of the bargain by issuing the "/trade 200 to 1" command to transfer the 200 Ore; but if he doesn't then Player1 is just hosed.

Don't get me wrong, this "trading" system is a useful and ingenious adaptation of the existing OP2 chat system, and Hidiot & Hooman deserve our recognition and thanks for their good work. (thumbsup)  But perhaps if the commands were "/transfer lot <x> to <y>" and "/transfer <x> to <y>" the nature of their actual functions would be more clear.  You can negotiate trades with other players through the chat system and use these commands to transfer the goods. But it only works on the honor system: There's no way to enforce the terms of the trade.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 08:39:44 PM by elwood_s »