Author Topic: Outpost Monopoly  (Read 43722 times)

Offline Hidiot

Outpost Monopoly
« on: March 19, 2010, 12:52:23 PM »
My little attempt at making Monopoly playable in Outpost 2. Outpost Monopoly is built around the rules of the monopoly board I own and official Monopoly rules.

Current stage: 2nd Beta

Map details:
 * Scouts are your pawns. To buy a lot, move the scout to the marker on the Scout's lane of that lot. You can obviously only buy a lot your scout/pawn it present at.

* To end a turn, the number of vehicles on the field must be equal to, or less than the total amount on the dice. That means that destroying the Robo-Miners that represent your dice will end your turn.

* You can build houses (Residences) at your Structure Factory. Once the kit is built, the factory turns into an empty ConVec (I don't want people building residences all over the place). Move the ConVec to an accessible beacon that corresponds to the lot you want to build on.
You can only build on a lot if you own the whole "neighbourhood". The first two and the last two lots constitute neighbourhoods. Every other neighbourhood comes in groups of three lots. Another condition to build on a lot is to build evenly. That means that you cannot own a lot with three houses and one with just one house in the same neighbourhood.
I gave ConVecs (the house builders) a speed of 0 so the process of building a house goes faster. They are not intended to enter the pens which house lots. Demolishing anything with the ConVec may break the game. DO NOT DO IT!

* To mortgage a lot, idle the main building on it. To un-mortgage it, activate that same building. You cannot mortgage a lot that has houses on it. It costs you 110% the mortgage value to reactivate a lot.

* To sell houses on your lot (for half the price you bought them for), simply idle them in the reverse order in which they were placed.
The houses get placed as such: lower left, top left, top right, lower right, central Advanced Residence.
You can only sell evenly. That means that you cannot own a lot with three houses and one with just one house in the same neighbourhood.

* High resources give 1500 Ore, Medium give 1000 and Low give 750.

* To leave jail before 3 jail turns are up, use the "/pay jail" command. You will be charged 50. If you own a GOoJF (Get Out of Jail Free) card, you will not be charged. A double roll will let you out of jail, but with no re-roll.

* To trade a lot, use the "/trade lot" command. The format is: "/trade lot <x> to <y>", where <x> is the lot number (GO is 0, count clockwise), and <y> is the player number (1, 2, 3 or 4).
You cannot trade upgraded lots.

* To trade ore, use the "/trade" command. The format is: "/trade <x> to <y>", where <x> is the amount you want to trade and <y> is the player number (1, 2, 3 or 4).

* To trade GOoJF (Get Out of Jail Free) cards, use the "/trade goojf" command. The format is :"/trade goojf to <x>", where <x> is the player number (1, 2, 3, 4).

* To quit the game, use the "/quit" command. This formally removes you from the game. you can continue to watch, but you can not interact with the game anymore.

* Hosts only: To kick a player use the "/kick" command. The format is "/kick <x>", where <x> is the player number (1, 2, 3, 4).

* When one one player is formally left, the game will end.

* The archive now contains an .xls file with complete information on prices, rents and mortgages.

* Hosts only: To modify the amount of starting money use the "/start" command. The format is "/start <x>", where <x> is 10 * the intended modifier. This also allows for reduction of starting money.

* Messages are forcibly accompanied by a source (internal restraint). However, the game seems to send players at (1,512), instead of the actual specified source (always a unit), in just about all cases.

This being beta stage, testing is what it's all about. Please test the map as best as you can, and PM me with problems.

Finally, a link to the download: Get it here.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 07:31:19 AM by Hidiot »
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Outpost Monopoly
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 01:23:08 PM »
Sounds interesting. Can't wait to play it.

Offline Hidiot

Outpost Monopoly
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 11:01:28 AM »
Updated to final demo.

I might not be able to proceed with implementing trading (lots and money) for a while.

Offline jcj94

• http://techfusion-279.com
Outpost Monopoly
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 04:05:37 PM »
Okay this is shear irony, my mom just did a real boardgame monpoly for a T.V. show, Leverage, and she got a whole lot of appreciation.  I realy like monopoly so, if it can be finished, i will surely play!!

Offline Hidiot

Outpost Monopoly
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 04:21:18 PM »
The main reason I released these demos are so that people can test them for bugs. It's largely playable (assuming I didn't let some serious bug slip through).

Offline Simpsonboy77

Outpost Monopoly
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 08:44:38 PM »
I played against myself, but I stopped after a bit because the creation and destruction of the light towers made it spam the sound and message system. Is it possible to make it so it wont do that?

Additionally could there be another option when you land at a property to have it display the stats of that property? Like rent, and rent with different amounts of houses?

Is there a way to implement mortgaging? Please tell me if I am mistaken.
My tutorials
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Offline Spikerocks101

Outpost Monopoly
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 10:17:42 PM »
Mortgages = idling a building? XD
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Hidiot

Outpost Monopoly
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 03:42:24 AM »
I probably should take some time to expand that project description.

I could change those Light Towers to a unit. Just hope they keep their positions when being recreated.

I will compile a table with all the info later, but I can't it include in the game. I might add some more messages about what just happened, though I hope to not overcrowd the map with messages.

And yes, Mortgaging, as well as selling houses are implemented. Just idle the main building of the lot you want to mortgage.
To sell houses, you must respect the order in which they are built and must sell them in reverse order.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 03:43:05 AM by Hidiot »

Offline Hidiot

Outpost Monopoly
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 02:11:43 PM »
Ok, this is the very last time I'm releasing anything before I get the next big phase of the project working.

Because Light Towers were too much of an inconvenience, I have replaced them with Robo-Miners.

I've also added some very informative messages here and there.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Outpost Monopoly
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 02:17:09 PM »
such as "you have started moving" and "you have finished moving" :P

jokes aside, I think you deserve a cookie for your continued efforts into this rather unique project here :)
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Hidiot

Outpost Monopoly
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 05:36:56 AM »
2 months later...

Aaand, we're back. I've recently spent a while checking the source, adding more comments, modifying little bits, adding an optimization or two, making sure I don't break it. I might release the first beta sometime this week, if I can pull myself together enough to work on it (instead of the end-school exam thing).

I'm going to try to rewrite the end turn handling. It's currently handled by AIProc and I think I can (and should) handle it via triggers.

So, once I finish that, along with a more voluntary use of the GOoJF cards, as well as the last missing major aspect, namely players losing, you shall get the first beta release.

Beta stage will consist mostly of bug testing, minor alterations and additions.

The first full version will be released when I can release a working save/load system.

Uh, anyone still interested in this?

Offline evecolonycamander

Outpost Monopoly
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 05:39:01 AM »
its a game thus im interested in it
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 06:31:40 AM by evecolonycamander »
''The blight cant get us up here!''
-famous last words
--------------o0o--------------
Outpost 2: EoM project status: Re-planning

Offline Kayedon

Outpost Monopoly
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 05:40:20 AM »
^Got a lot of trust in ya, mate.
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Outpost Monopoly
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2010, 05:58:55 AM »
spell check did not recognize that one
-famous last words

Offline Moley

Outpost Monopoly
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2010, 06:24:44 AM »
interested?  that makes seance although i had to read it a few times to find the word... :P
I HATE SPELLING!!!!!!
if i spell something or screw up grammer,
ignore it or tell me if you dont understand what i typed.

Outpost Monopoly
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2010, 06:31:59 AM »
thanks... i think
-famous last words

Offline Hidiot

Outpost Monopoly
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2010, 06:36:47 AM »
I would point out that the 3rd last word from my last post was the correct spelling of interested... Just to poke, it's sense, not seance.
Wikipedia will tell you why seance is a funny mistake.

Well, for the sake of adding some marginally useful information: I've finished a long test-run and fixed various slip-ups and made sure a lot of things are working right. Maybe, just maybe, I'll manage to rewrite turn ending by tonight.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 06:38:31 AM by Hidiot »

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost Monopoly
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2010, 06:38:10 AM »
Wait, why do you need to save/load if this is multiplayer?
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Hidiot

Outpost Monopoly
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2010, 06:39:17 AM »
Wait, why do you need to save/load if this is multiplayer?
It's Monopoly, it can last for hours upon hours.

Also, it's going to be done with the use of external .txt files.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 06:40:18 AM by Hidiot »

Outpost Monopoly
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2010, 06:51:26 AM »
the problem with txt files is someone can effectively cheat on it. its okey at home but when it is with some one sitting in lets say, japan there will be issues
-famous last words

Offline Hidiot

Outpost Monopoly
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2010, 06:54:30 AM »
I will obviously install a bunch of checks to prevent desyncs. But all in due time, the save/load system will only be worked on after beta is released.

Outpost Monopoly
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2010, 07:01:46 AM »
you should have it check for ANY running memory editors and have it not run if it it detects one.
Edit do it from a update-able list
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 07:02:46 AM by evecolonycamander »
-famous last words

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost Monopoly
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2010, 07:17:05 AM »
Memory editor = desync anyways, so that's really not a problem.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Moley

Outpost Monopoly
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2010, 09:48:20 AM »
I would point out that the 3rd last word from my last post was the correct spelling of interested... Just to poke, it's sense, not seance.
Wikipedia will tell you why seance is a funny mistake.

Well, for the sake of adding some marginally useful information: I've finished a long test-run and fixed various slip-ups and made sure a lot of things are working right. Maybe, just maybe, I'll manage to rewrite turn ending by tonight.
that's one of the words that even spell check can't help me with... i can't remember witch of the corrections it is...

On Topic... i would be interested in this... and if you have to much time on your hands, hot seat would be a cool feature...  :heh:  
I HATE SPELLING!!!!!!
if i spell something or screw up grammer,
ignore it or tell me if you dont understand what i typed.

Offline Hidiot

Outpost Monopoly
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2010, 10:29:08 AM »
and if you have to much time on your hands, hot seat would be a cool feature...  :heh:
How'd you guess the very last thing on my list? Yes, within the decade I will make a single player / hotseat version.

Just to fill space, here's a new update: turn ending and voluntary use of GOoJF turned out to be easier to handle, though I am not going to take the time to test the GOoJF system (since there's no easy way to go abut it, without forcing anything).

So, I'm now working on implementing player loss.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 10:38:57 AM by Hidiot »