Author Topic: Server Issues Lately?  (Read 9374 times)

Offline Sirbomber

Server Issues Lately?
« on: March 11, 2010, 07:34:16 PM »
So it seems that several of us (myself included) have been unable to connect to certain areas of OPU (main site, forums, IRC).

Any idea when this might be resolved?

NOTE: Please don't add useless "I'm also having this problem!" posts.  They won't do any good.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Simpsonboy77

Server Issues Lately?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 07:55:19 PM »
Here is a useless "I'm NOT having this problem."

Are you sure it is your side?

Does it occur on all browsers, and IRC clients?

What if you use multiple computers at once (just for a test)? I recall you said you couldn't connect to the IRC and the forums at the same time. Apologies if I misunderstood.

What OS, and is it updated?

If you go on any other forums do you experience similar problems?

Did it recently start becoming a problem? If so it might help admins if you can approximate a date.
My tutorials
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Offline Kayedon

Server Issues Lately?
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 08:26:30 PM »
Personally, my ability to connect to the forum/main site alternate between outpostuniverse.net and outpost2.net
Last I tried, I could only connect to IRC through the (supposedly) unused irc.outpost-universe.net
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Server Issues Lately?
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 08:44:37 PM »
Kayedon, we try not to use that domain because it's owned by lev, and his actions with it have pointed to a potential threat to the already volitile nature of the community.

And bomber, check your firewalls/antivirus/antiadware.  Some programs have a tendency to cause issues similar to what you're saying.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 08:45:30 PM by CK9 »
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Server Issues Lately?
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 09:04:30 PM »
I'm assuming you've tried ipconfig /flushdns?

Outpost2.net and Outpostuniverse.net always work for me on RoadRunner.

Offline Sirbomber

Server Issues Lately?
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 10:39:12 PM »
Well, considering others have complained of the same/similar problems...
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Server Issues Lately?
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 01:41:20 AM »
I had issues for a period of two or three days, but they seem to have stopped. It's been at least a few days now since I've had any issues.

It appeared to be a DNS problem, rather than an issue with the server itself. That would also explain why both the forums and IRC were hard to connect to, since they are on different machines. Maybe there was an issue propagating DNS data somewhere on the net?

Offline Hidiot

Server Issues Lately?
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 08:32:29 AM »
I find it interesting that the site won't work for me usually in the evenings, and sometimes mornings (UCT+2). Yet, it only rarely occurs that it won't work during the day.

Also, while this happens, every other site I check on a regular basis works fine.

I'm suspect that it's an issue with a local, or at least close-by routing node that the forum/IRC/site use. I suspect this because we have people from different continents with the issue.

EDIT: Huh, something weird happened just now, something I might need to investigate further, in time.

Since the forum wasn't working, I tried restarting the router a couple of times, until something changed in the DNS. Happened that after the secondary DNS managed to change by one digit and a few more seconds, it works. I also noticed how the router had reconnected whilst I wasn't using the internet, which led me to try a few restarts.

IRC not working, no matter what, though.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 12:56:24 PM by Hidiot »
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Simpsonboy77

Server Issues Lately?
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 08:16:40 PM »
If you think it is a DNS problem, you can set your computer to use google's DNS, 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4.

Source http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using.html
My tutorials
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Server Issues Lately?
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 12:09:54 PM »
Maybe this helps, find the cause of the issues:

Some days ago (~1 week) I couldn't connect to forum.outpost2.net (with any browser I tried). The error messages suggested that it was a dns problem. I could, however, connect to outpost2.net. And on the next day everything worked fine.

Offline Hidiot

Server Issues Lately?
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 02:14:03 PM »
Well, it may be a DNS issue, but nothing I try works. Not even simpsonboy's solution. And I've just been able to connect from another period of no connectivity. Maybe next time I'll try to trace the issue.

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Server Issues Lately?
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 01:35:27 PM »
What you could also do is, work around dns completely. The IP of the website is currently 69.10.40.42 and that of irc is 129.24.33.22. There are two alternatives: 1. use the ip instead of the servers name (e.g. "129.24.33.22" instead of "irc.outpost2.net") or 2. set up a hosts-file (I'm not going to describe that here, since it may depend on your os).

Offline Hidiot

Server Issues Lately?
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 02:11:26 PM »
Thank you TH300 for this little fix to the problem.

And this also makes it really clear that it's a DNS issue... How come it only pops up at certain times for the forum is well beyond me.

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Server Issues Lately?
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 04:12:22 PM »
Having the same problem here in CZ
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Server Issues Lately?
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 03:15:26 PM »
I found some DNS configuration issues where the secondary nameserver used for most of the OPU domains could resolve to IP's of servers that we don't rent anymore. I fixed these, hopefully you should start seeing fewer DNS issues in the next few hours or days as it propagates out to ISPs DNS caches.

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Server Issues Lately?
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2010, 09:11:23 AM »
That was the amazingest wow pow story ever.
Feel free to delete both that and this post when you see fit :P

with wedding dresses on the top.. (thumbsdown)  
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2