Author Topic: Codecs For Op2 Videos?  (Read 8789 times)

Offline Ezekel

• http://ezekel.deviantart.com
Codecs For Op2 Videos?
« on: February 02, 2010, 07:16:45 PM »
i can get the game to run the videos just fine, but VLC and WMP both fail to do the vieo :(

anyone know what i'd need to do to make it work?

in particular i'm also looking for the introduction video for the op2 pre release demo. because i want to use some of the footage for reference (i remember it gave some good close ups on some of the buildings)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 07:20:59 PM by Ezekel »
My mind is quicker then your eyes!

Never fight what you cannot see!!!

----------------------------------------------

The sleeper has awakened... and boy what a hangover!

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Codecs For Op2 Videos?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 07:42:30 PM »
They work fine for me on WMP, so I'm not sure why it isn't working for you...you can always try GOM.  I used it a few times before when WMP gave me codec errors
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Codecs For Op2 Videos?
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 07:48:58 PM »
Indeo 4 or 5 I think.

Offline Sirbomber

Codecs For Op2 Videos?
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 08:02:27 PM »
Misc. Downloads page.

Xvid Codecs

EDIT (leeor_net): changed link to xvid.com
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 03:15:45 PM by leeor_net »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Codecs For Op2 Videos?
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 01:04:54 AM »
Well, xvid is fine for the recorded-game-videos on our website, but for the videos that came with op2, you will need the Indeo Codec, as Arklon said. You can find that on one of our download pages as well: http://outpost2.net/dlmisc.php

EDIT (leeor_net): noted that link is dead, indeo codecs are no longer needed.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 03:18:24 PM by leeor_net »

Offline Leviathan

Re: Codecs For Op2 Videos?
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 07:17:13 PM »
To get the in-game videos to work you need to put the video files (from op2_vids.zip) into the game directory and then install the Indeo video codec which you can get here:

iv5setup.exe

I have tested this Windows 7 and it works fine. The install is so old it looks for Netscape installs and it froze for a second but wait and it will work fine.

EDIT (leeor_net): updated links
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 03:21:31 PM by leeor_net »

Offline Drakmar

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 10:28:49 PM »
I'd like to point out that I've re-encoded the in-game videos to no longer require the indeo codec. Those videos can be found here: OP2 Video Download

EDIT (leeor_net): updating links
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 03:13:10 PM by leeor_net »

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 05:38:35 AM »
And they work in-game and there is no quality loss?

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 07:06:36 AM »
Was going to say... reencoding a video like that would probably have a similar effect to converting an MP3 to OGG.

Offline Drakmar

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 08:31:37 AM »
Slight quality loss due to the fact that I up-scaled them from 240p to 480p, but it's hardly noticeable.

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 08:56:03 AM »
And they work in-game?

I assume so as OP2 is just loading the videos with an internal video player which uses the system wide codecs to decode/render.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 10:07:22 AM »
I like the idea of re-encoded videos to make things work without installing additional codecs. Especially since those codecs were removed for security reasons. I can live with slight quality loss, especially if it's not noticeable to the casual observer. It might also make sense to include the videos in the standard download. These days high speed internet connections are quite the norm.

Offline pbhead

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2015, 10:00:45 PM »
The codec Link on the main website (and linked to in this thread) did not work for me. At least on windows 8.  It seemed to fail to install the codec for whatever reason.  The Upsided videos also did not work, without a different codec... which I actually happened to find here: http://www.videohelp.com/software/ffdshow, which did work, and the game actually plays the upsided videos with that codec. somehow.

I do think it is time a "full install" was made, with codec, and game, in one easy installer was made.  I just slapped a "install" together for some of my friends, which is just the op2 game, the media files , and that codec all mushed in a zip file with a readme for install this, then install this.  but.  Maybe someone here knows how to do something better.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2016, 11:36:37 PM »
Necro-ing the thread a bit, but anyone ever figure out how to get the videos playing?  (also, hi everybody!)

What I know so far:

• indeo 4 codecs will only install on windows XP or older (never found an explanation, though)
  • k-lite codec pack does not fix the issue despite claiming IV41 support
  • it is possible to convert video files to a different codec...if you have the required codec working already (might dig out my old laptop just to convert them)

CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2016, 02:20:37 AM »
Weren't these videos already re-encoded? I remember seeing a post somewhere about it. Too tired to remember or find it myself. Maybe NTCS has them?

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2016, 11:32:57 AM »
Hello CK9,

Check out this thread: http://forum.outpost2.net/index.php/topic,5821.msg83138.html#msg83138.

It contains the info you need to get the videos working with Windows 7/10. You will have to download new versions of the video that Drakmar saved in a different video format.