Author Topic: Forum Etiquette  (Read 21837 times)

Offline Mez

Forum Etiquette
« on: January 31, 2010, 06:09:25 AM »
As I am getting very annoyed by the low standards of a select few members forum etiquette and I thought I would start a thread on "correct" etiquette or best practice.

Yes this is my form of constructive rant.  I am sure many others feel the same way (There is already a long thread in the mod/admin section on this).
  • Read the forum rules and guidelines before posting. (http://forum.outpostuniverse.net/index.php?act=boardrules)
  • Be civil and respect other members.  Just because no one knows who you are or where you live, does not mean that you can act like a 5 year old and get away with it.
  • Search for other posts to see if your problem/topic has been covered.
  • Use a sensible topic title.
  • Stay on topic.
  • Don't bump an old topic.  Make a new one and reference the old one.
  • Don't use all CAPS it means you are SHOUTING.  It's loud and annoying. The same goes for exclamation marks, one is enough.
  • In order to be understood by all (that includes non-native speakers who use translation software) make good use of spelling and grammar, avoid the use of slang unless you know it will be understood by the majority.
  • Use the preview/edit buttons.  Please read over your post to make sure it makes sense and conveys your ideas in the manner you want it to, if it does not then edit it.
  • Don't hijack someone else's topic , especially if they are asking for help on a specific problem. Start a new topic and if its related reference the other one(s). Moderators can split up topics, but it gets very difficult if subsequent replies quote your posts and the original poster.
This is not meant to be an exhaustive list, just the points that I care about most. Feel free to comment, modify or add your own to this thread.

Most of these tips (and more) are better described from:
25 Forum Posting Ettiquette Tips

The majority of these rules don't apply when posting in the spam sub-forum. https://forum.outpost2.net/index.php/topic,3472.0.html

EDIT: Added spam sub-forum exception

EDIT (leeor_net): Fixed broken links
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 05:38:45 PM by leeor_net »

Offline AmIMeYet

Forum Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 10:07:29 AM »
One thing: "Don't bump an old topic. Make a new one and reference the old one."
I don't quite understand what is accomplished with this. Is one small post not better than a whole new thread? Despite the dodging of the exact term necroposting, it doesn't seem to have any advantages.. I seem to recall some discussion on this subject.. did that ever resolve to something?

But other than that: yes.

Offline Sirbomber

Forum Etiquette
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 10:14:46 AM »
Rule #25 sucks!  :P

Nah, I don't hate new people.  I just hate n00bs.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Forum Etiquette
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 11:46:10 AM »
I don't care so much about the necroposting when there is something relevant to add. The thing is, most of the time when it happens, it's either off topic or very marginally relevant. I can kind of see why some people would want this rule, but it seems to be a roundabout way of addressing the real problem.

Offline Mez

Forum Etiquette
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 12:23:12 PM »
I don't quite understand what is accomplished with this. Is one small post not better than a whole new thread?
If the new post is relevant to the existing old thread, then by all means post a reply.
E.g. If you post a reply giving an answer to a question that has never been solved.

Most people however reply to old threads with fairly meaningless observations or questions that could be better addressed in a new thread.
e.g. Replying to an old thread with a new question that is sort of similar to the old one.
I for one don't want to have to read the whole of the old thread again to work out what the new question is about.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 12:23:51 PM by Mez »

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Forum Etiquette
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 12:30:59 PM »
Personally, I feel there should be an auto-lock cutoff time for when threads go dormant.  Making a new thread and referencing specific posts can make it easier to anwser questions.

Just a quick note for the non-english people:

if you are not sure about the translation, feel free to post it in the original language.  Sometimes the context of the sentance allows us to understand your meaning.  If I see it, I'll even try to help you with the translation.

CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Simpsonboy77

Forum Etiquette
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 01:16:21 PM »
Also, punctuation and capitalization can work wonders.
My tutorials
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Offline lehua768

Forum Etiquette
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 01:48:43 AM »
I don't quite understand what is accomplished with this. Is one small post not better than a whole new thread? Despite the dodging of the exact term necroposting, it doesn't seem to have any advantages.. I seem to recall some discussion on this subject.. did that ever resolve to something?
replica handbags         
Replica watches         
replica handbags

Offline Kayedon

Forum Etiquette
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 01:58:06 AM »
Simple. Referencing (and providing a basic synopsis of the relevant content of the referenced thread) allows us to prevent people (like me) whining about necromancy, and allows anyone who wants to assist in the problem/discussion to not have to read through a pile of spam and relevant posts to learn what they're discussing.

"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Forum Etiquette
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 09:21:02 AM »
Not to mention that it also forces the poster to actually read the thread and if they were going to post about something resolved, they will actually see the solution.
CK9 in outpost
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...

Offline Sirbomber

Forum Etiquette
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 10:26:20 AM »
Does anyone else find it ironic that he necro'd a thread to complain about necroing being against the rules?
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Forum Etiquette
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 12:05:14 PM »
Irony:
1) The use of words to express something different from and often opposite to their literal meaning.
2) An expression or utterance marked by a deliberate contrast between apparent and intended meaning.
3) A literary style employing such contrasts for humorous or rhetorical effect.
4) Incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs: "Hyde noted the irony of Ireland's copying the nation she most hated" (Richard Kain).
5) An occurrence, result, or circumstance notable for such incongruity.

so no, not ironic :P

It would be ironic if he necroed a topic to complain about people necroing.
CK9 in outpost

Offline Sirbomber

Forum Etiquette
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 01:08:09 PM »
Oh, shut up.  You knew what I meant n0[size=0] [/size]0b.  :P  

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Forum Etiquette
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 03:35:40 PM »
Sirbomber: n. an entity that often exemplifies improper forum ettiquette

:P
CK9 in outpost

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Forum Etiquette
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 01:00:57 PM »
•In order to be understood by all (that includes non-native speakers who use translation software) make good use of spelling and grammar, avoid the use of slang unless you know it will be understood by the majority.

Quite often I see people who dont spell things correctly and then are rudely and abruptly asked to correct it in the same thread.  I have never liked this.  If you really want to bring up the issue do it some where private not in public unless you see the (sp) thing then correct them as a side note if you have any thing to add to the topic.  Because really this isnt Grammar class where grammar and spelling mean every thing nor is it any type of college class where you get a f (or equivlant bad grade ) for a misspelled word. This is the internet this is the opu forums. Lets try to keep this casual. With out the grammar lessons.

thats all I got to say about that.

Offline Kayedon

Forum Etiquette
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2010, 05:08:57 PM »
•In order to be understood by all (that includes non-native speakers who use translation software) make good use of spelling and grammar, avoid the use of slang unless you know it will be understood by the majority.

Quite often I see people who dont spell things correctly and then are rudely and abruptly asked to correct it in the same thread.  I have never liked this.  If you really want to bring up the issue do it some where private not in public unless you see the (sp) thing then correct them as a side note if you have any thing to add to the topic.  Because really this isnt Grammar class where grammar and spelling mean every thing nor is it any type of college class where you get a f (or equivlant bad grade ) for a misspelled word. This is the internet this is the opu forums. Lets try to keep this casual. With out the grammar lessons.

thats all I got to say about that.
Alright, I don't have a problem with you, but "this is the Internet" is the most overused crappy excuse to sound like a third-grader (I'm not saying you do, you're quite competent at spelling).

Just because it's the Internet doesn't mean we need to devolve our language to a bunch of uneducated apes. The point of language is to be able to effectively communicate, and when you destroy that FOR ANY PURPOSE (including "the Internet") you basically destroy the reason to communicate.

If you get where I'm going with this, language is a form of communication and the Internet is a means of communication.  
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Forum Etiquette
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 03:19:29 AM »
you clearly didnt understand.

the internet itself has its own language and ways.  It isnt a crappy excuse not to me any way. I view the internet as another entity. Not just a extention of one country. The internet itself gave rise to this new way of typing and speaking. For other to communicate in a way that they feel is right. I dont talk the same in real life as I do on the internet or over text based chats. The internet itself gave rise to the different way that I talk and its not always correct. How ever that doesnt make it wrong either. This is the Internet.  It has a life all its own. To deny that it does is like saying you dont have a spinal column.  And All life breeds its own way to communicate.  Dont try to make it perfect in your eyes because that is not my internet and its not there internet its yours but the internet should not be bent to any one person image. Nothing will be perfect with humans.

Offline Hidiot

Forum Etiquette
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2010, 03:48:49 AM »
The internet is a place for people from every country everywhere. When you create a site/forum on the internet, you should consider what kinds of people will access it, from what regions they come.

If your site is supposed to cater for people from all over the globe, then you will want to use the most popular/widely used language available, which at the moment is English. With all its rules and everything.

If people want to develop a language of the internet, they are free to do so, but they must either somehow make it official or convince people to use it, detailing its advantages over other actual historical languages.

Long story short, this site uses English as its official language (don't try to deny that). As such, just as when you try to visit an English-speaking country, the better you know the language, the easier it is to communicate.
And communication is one of the central aspects of the internet.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Empedocles

• http://www.justfuckinggoogleit.com
Forum Etiquette
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2010, 11:24:57 PM »
I have violated at least fifteen of those rules at some point. But not on this forum.

I have violated the hell out of at least ten.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 11:25:34 PM by Empedocles »