Author Topic: Must Read! Also Forum Help...  (Read 1483 times)

Offline angellus

Must Read! Also Forum Help...
« on: December 15, 2009, 01:26:39 PM »
Okay... I am in the video game club at my local high school and I made a forum for it. If you want a forum for any other video game please join and when you do send me a PM saying that you have. Also anyone that knows what they are doing and like to help me making it look better please help... BlackBox and Hooman... I think this would be you... Also... I did post a link to OPU there just in case you were going to ask...  is the link.Here
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 01:44:38 PM by angellus »
"Old fool! This is my hour. Do you not know Death when you see it? Die now and curse in vain!"

"Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!"

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 02:48:01 PM »
And this needs to be in the news section (and therefore also showing up on the main page of the website) why? Shouldn't new threads in this forum be restricted to mods/admins only?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 02:48:28 PM by Arklon »

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 02:52:05 PM »
Mods, admins, and the mess hallers for being awesome.

Edit: Corrected spelling ;)

« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 11:58:25 PM by Hooman »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline angellus

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 04:00:51 PM »
Sorry, I posted it in the first place it made some sense... move it if you do not like the placing...
"Old fool! This is my hour. Do you not know Death when you see it? Die now and curse in vain!"

Offline Spikerocks101

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 08:37:41 PM »
Hey, why not, eh? Just make sure u have a Civ 4 section.
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 12:03:46 AM »
Topic moved.

I wouldn't know what to suggest for a pre-made fully functioning forum, that I assume was written by a third party. I've traditionally avoided web programming, and still don't consider myself a web programmer even after having to do a bit of it for a living. I'd be better able to offer advice on small implementation details that adminstering a fully written forum. Particularly one with only two threads so far.

On a different note, I once knew someone with your exact name about 13 years ago. Probably a common name though.

Offline angellus

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 05:20:59 AM »
I wouldn't know what to suggest for a pre-made fully functioning forum, that I assume was written by a third party. I've traditionally avoided web programming, and still don't consider myself a web programmer even after having to do a bit of it for a living. I'd be better able to offer advice on small implementation details that adminstering a fully written forum. Particularly one with only two threads so far.
It is a phpBB one, of course. And there are a lot more then two threads... the rest you have to be registered for. Still any help would be appreciated... I would like for it to like more like this one...

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 07:18:33 AM »
It is a phpBB one, of course. And there are a lot more then two threads... the rest you have to be registered for.
I've never been a fan of forums that make you register just to read posts.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline angellus

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 08:15:13 AM »
I've never been a fan of forums that make you register just to read posts.
Then do not join. I just have that in place because some people at our high school are idiots and seem to think it is funny to spam the forum and be complete assholes.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 11:08:16 AM »
That's probably the first thing you need to fix. You must rule with an iron fist!  :ph34r:

And yeah, forums that you can lurk on are much more interesting, and probably give more reason to eventually register, rather than just leave because there is nothing interesting there.

Offline angellus

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 11:31:46 AM »
Okay I will change that... Thanks... can you make a user and look around it to help me...? I would give you any access you needed.

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 12:13:05 PM »
And yeah, forums that you can lurk on are much more interesting, and probably give more reason to eventually register, rather than just leave because there is nothing interesting there.
That was exactly the point I had in mind.

Edit: Also, yes!  Rule with an iron fist!  Just make sure to polish it on occasion.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 12:15:03 PM by Sirbomber »

Offline Kayedon

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 08:06:13 PM »
Solution:
Make all of it readable
Ban non-members from making posts
Make all members unable to see any forums until allowed by an admin
Now you can rule with an iron fist AND piss people off!
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Offline angellus

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 06:59:57 AM »
So... I have changed my forum. Now it is on MyBB and it is just a discussion forum for whatever. I would invite any of you join. The link is  here.

To a forum admin or moderator: I have a IRC chat program on the forum and I was wondering if I may use the irc.outpostuniverse.net for it and have my own channel? I intend to post links directing people to this forum for anyone interested.  

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 11:55:36 PM »
I don't see much of a problem with having a chat room on the Outpost 2 IRC server. There is already one on there for another game. (Keep in mind it's not my machine, and I have nothing to do with the other game).

Offline angellus

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 04:34:08 AM »
Mez already gave me permissions. Thanks though :)

Offline Lord Of Pain

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2010, 01:08:37 PM »
Angellus, your link for some reason now goes to a page saying "this account is suspended" is this your account? my account? quite frankly, the link in my favorites is not working either.

Is this just me? or is your website down?
Please do inform us, we'd like to know.

Offline angellus

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2010, 01:42:37 PM »
The host I use decided to switch servers and I am not important on the switch.... so it will be back up soon.