Author Topic: Outpost Halloween Special  (Read 5852 times)

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost Halloween Special
« on: October 31, 2009, 02:21:51 PM »
It's Halloween on New Terra, and you and up to four friends are competing to see who can get the most amount of candy in one night!  Travel from colony to colony to visit Residences and get candy.  Just be careful out there and don't let anyone steal your candy!

How to play:
-Park your Scout next to any (Advanced) Residences you come across (make sure nobody else has been to them first though!).  Residences give you one candy while Advanced Residences give you two.
-If Disasters are enabled, stay away from bullies (combat units)!  If you die (or, for some reason, decide to self-destruct), you'll respawn, but you'll lose 5 candy!
-Getting candy heals you.
-Seeing as how the game takes place on Halloween night, the map is in permanent darkness until the very end.  If you see the sun starting to rise, the game is almost over! (Translation: Sun rises at mark 190, game ends at mark 200.  Enable the day/night setting to extend the game by 100 marks).
-Whoever has the most candy at the end of the night wins the game!

Anyways, uh, I'm not actually finished with the map just yet.  Gotta add more buildings and whatnot.  But the game mechanics work properly (I think), so I decided to try and get this some attention before I finished it.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 04:39:26 PM »
Lol, nice idea. Good luck with that.

Offline fallenangel

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 07:25:53 PM »
Haha That sounds really fun!!! :) Great thinking sirbomber!  I hope all goes well with the map.
Pitiful mortals...your hope ends here. ...And your meaningless existence with it!

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 07:39:36 PM »
Okay, I'm going to release this incomplete version for two main reasons:
1) It's Halloween!
2) This would be delayed otherwise because I'm going to need to add a LOT more residences.

Reason number 2 is the primary reason this map will take longer than I expected.  I was giving it a quick test run and realized that with 5 people playing the map would be done in about 10 marks.  So I'll need to fill in the map a bit more, which will take a long time.  So give it a try if you want and give me suggestions.

Note that in this version hostile combat units aren't in.  They're the lowest priority right now.  For those interesting, the priorities are/were:
1) Get game mechanics working (done)
2) Add colonies (not as done as I thought)
3) Add various odds-and-ends (like hostile units)

And yes, I am aware that the eastern side of the map has nothing on it.  That's where more stuff was going to go, but I ran out of time.  You'll see that I was originally trying to break the map up into clearly-defined colonies; though I'll have to change that.  I'll probably branch the colonies out more and add more residences so that 1) there are more places to get points and 2) said places are more spread out.

Download it at: http://forum.outpostuniverse.net/index.php?showtopic=4710
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline fallenangel

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 08:03:52 PM »
Ok i tested it out, I found that every single residence worked. also getting candy does heal you so that's good too. self destructing does take candy off of your total candy count.  and respawning works well also. everything was perfectly fine but one thing I did notice, at count 290 it did not start turning into day. but the game ended at mark 300. otherwise i think its gonna be an amazing game when it comes to adding hostile units :) great idea sirbomber!  
Pitiful mortals...your hope ends here. ...And your meaningless existence with it!

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 09:03:28 PM »
Did you look at the far west side of the map?  The sun should only just start rising as the game ends.  Still, I'll look into it.

Offline fallenangel

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 09:10:53 AM »
I was currently on the far west side of the map. it didn't seem to get lighter at all. maybe you should program it so it goes off earlier at maybe mark 250 or 150.  

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 11:07:12 AM »
Wow, I, uh, totally forgot about this...

Maybe I'll convert it into a Valentine's Day map.  Deliver the most love letters before the day's over or whatever.