Author Topic: Free Time  (Read 11465 times)

Offline Sirbomber

Free Time
« on: April 26, 2010, 12:47:53 PM »
So I've been thinking we should have some kind of Content Contest sometime soon.  But I don't want to do this while people are too busy to contribute to it.  So could people please post when they'll start having enough free time to work on some kind of submission for this?

Here are some thoughts for those interested:

-Maps (May use any tileset)
 > Judged by creativity, aesthetic appeal/professionalism, and playability.

-Missions (Multiplayer and Colony Games)
 > Judged by originality and fun.  Unplayable entries receive automatic 0.

-Mods (Campaigns, Sheets Mods, EXE Hacks/Mods that alter OP2's behavior or functionality)
 > Judged by originality and extent of mod's effects on gameplay.  Color Mods and sheets mods that make the game one-sided receive automatic 0.

-Artwork (Hand-drawn or Computer-generated images, Tilesets, Music, Video)
 > Judged by quality/appeal, professionalism, and originality.  Entries using content stolen from other sources receive automatic 0.

-Writing (Novellas)
 > Judged by creativity, fun, and professionalism.  Entries with excessive spelling and grammar issues receive automatic 0.

-Programming (Tools, Remakes, Sequels, Etc.)
 > Judged by user-friendliness and usefulness and/or fun as applicable.  Entries need not be 100% complete but must be presentable.  Trainers or any program that provides an unfair advantage during multiplayer will receive an automatic 0.

-OP2 In Other Games (OP2-themed weapons, stages, vehicles, etc. in other games)
 > Judged by faithfulness to Outpost 2 and fun.  As judges may not have the game you've modded, a video of your content in action must be provided.

-Maximum of 3 submissions per person.  Limit of one submission per category.
-The winners in first, second, and third from each category will be announced.  The first-place entries from each category will be compared, and a "grand champion" will be chosen from this list.
-Up to three people may enter together as a team.
-Although you are encouraged to begin work on a new project specifically for this competition, you may submit an older work if you want.
-The final due date for submissions will be two weeks after the competition begins.
-All submissions will be judged by a panel of three judges.

Should judges be allowed to make submissions?  If so, should they be barred from voting on the category they made a submission to?  Who will take their place?

Also, does anyone want to be a judge?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 06:12:00 PM by Sirbomber »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Free Time
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 02:17:04 PM »
Wow, you're trying hard to get people contributing ;-)

I can say with almost certainty that I won't contribute before August this year. In August I expect to have some free time.

Ok, let me make one important suggestion: Contents that are released before the contest starts shouldn't have a chance. We want people to create something new.

Also, do we really need judges or can't it just be one (or several) big vote(s)? If we have judges, they must not be allowed to make submissions in their category.

Offline Sirbomber

Free Time
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 02:43:26 PM »
Ok, let me make one important suggestion: Contents that are released before the contest starts shouldn't have a chance. We want people to create something new.
Ah, yes.  I was trying to convey that, but couldn't get the right words.  Thanks!

As for the votes vs judges, either would work really, though I want to avoid people voting for themselves or their friends.  Also, there's the possibility that we won't get enough people to vote...
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline AmIMeYet

Free Time
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 11:17:45 AM »
I'm done with my exams (and this school) somewhere in Juli. I'm actually quite looking forward to "Programming (Tools, Remakes, Sequels, Etc.)" as I have a great idea in my head.

I think instead of judges, we should have a voting system. "somewhere in Juli" I'll have plenty of time to make that, including restrictions like voting on your own entry. It seems fair enough, and I personally think that it would be easier to get a lot of voters than it is to get judges. Now that I think about it, I actually don't know why, but anyway..

Offline Kayedon

Free Time
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 01:52:44 PM »
I'd like a voting system as well, but who knows what will work.
How about we have a summer-long contest (June-July-August) and at the end of it/beginning of September the voting starts?
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Offline evecolonycamander

Free Time
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 02:13:11 PM »
-Maps (May use any tileset)
> Judged by creativity, aesthetic appeal/professionalism, and playability.
This i may do(ill just summit a old eve map and fix it up some)
-Missions (Multiplayer and Colony Games)
> Judged by originality and fun.  Unplayable entries receive automatic 0.
too busy for this
-Mods (Campaigns, Sheets Mods, EXE Hacks/Mods that alter OP2's behavior or functionality)
> Judged by originality and extent of mod's effects on gameplay.  Color Mods receive automatic 0.
Wait you Want my trainer!?! after what happened not if unless Blackbox lets me give you it. i doubt that tho
-Artwork (Hand-drawn or Computer-generated images, Tilesets, Music, Video)
> Judged by quality/appeal, professionalism, and originality.  Entries using content stolen from other sources receive automatic 0.
Mabie, just mabie
-Writing (Novellas)
> Judged by creativity, fun, and professionalism.  Entries with excessive spelling and grammar issues receive automatic 0.
i cant spell worth a chit. <SEE :P
-Programming (Tools, Remakes, Sequels, Etc.)
> Judged by user-friendliness and usefulness and/or fun as applicable.  Entries need not be 100% complete but must be presentable.
not for me
-OP2 In Other Games (OP2-themed weapons, stages, vehicles, etc. in other games)
> Judged by faithfulness to Outpost 2 and fun.  As judges may not have the game you've modded, a video of your content in action must be provided.
Would giving you a copy of the game help? i dont have any way else
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 02:16:26 PM by evecolonycamander »
''The blight cant get us up here!''
-famous last words
--------------o0o--------------
Outpost 2: EoM project status: Re-planning

Offline Hidiot

Free Time
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 02:37:04 PM »
Red text is annoying.

We don't really care about what you're not going to do or what you're not thinking about doing. Just decide and submit your entries when the time comes.

Seeing as how your trainer was frowned upon almost unanimously, you can expect submitting it as an entry here to not work out that well.
I'm pretty sure that entries in the modding category will be judged based on their usefulness for constructive purposes (which adds to the value of the entry) and their risks of abuse (which subtract from the value of the entry)

I might enter some things, depending on how and if I can finish them. Will my yet unfinished Monopoly map be able to enter?
Also, if I'm going to be opening a settlement in an online PBBG (permanent browser based game) and name it Command Center, will it count as an entry for the OP2 in other games category?

And, um... the idea of a contest is nice, but without any kind of reward other than recognition (which anyone will get whenever they submit quality content), was this contest idea born as a way to bring something seemingly refreshing in or out of boredom or what?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 02:37:46 PM by Hidiot »
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Free Time
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 02:45:31 PM »
bomber, does a map still count if only one or two other people have seen it?  I ask because the one I showed you is the closest to completion (most of what I have left to do on it is purely asthetic).  If not, I might opt to be a map-judge at the last minute (there is one other map up my sleave that I was recently excited to find survived the death of the HDD it was on because I had used my site to transfer it to that computer in the first place).

« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 02:46:21 PM by CK9 »
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Sirbomber

Free Time
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 06:38:14 PM »
Rules adjusted.
1) Don't be a hacking n0[size=0] [/size]0b.  An "EXE Hack/Mod" refers to patching OP2 to fix a bug or add some cool feature (something Hooman or BlackBox would do), not making a trainer that gives you unlimited ore.
2) You may not submit anything that has been previously released outside of a "demo" or "beta" format.  Examples of valid submissions would be Hidiot's Monopoly mission (finalized) or a new release of Renegades (not gonna happen, but I can dream  :P ).  Examples of invalid submissions include "updates" or "bugfixes" to old maps people have already played significantly.
3) Simply naming something in another game with an OP2 theme doesn't cut it.  Naming your city "Command Center" is unacceptable.  Making a map for an FPS that looks like the inside of a Command Center is an acceptable entry (and would be very awesome).  Other valid entries would include adding a Thor's Hammer Assault Rifle as a weapon or a Microwave Lynx as a drivable vehicle to an FPS.  Modding another RTS to include Eden and/or Plymouth could be a possibility, but that'd border into remake territory so I don't see that happening.

As to some other concerns:
1) There is no prize, but only because I have no idea what type of prize we could give out.  Of course, if somebody wants to change that, let me know.  ;)
2) We could make it a summer-long contest, but that wouldn't leave much time to enjoy the fruits of everyone's labor, would it?
3) Any text that isn't the regular color is annoying.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Free Time
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 09:12:16 PM »
soooo....I have a green light for that experimental map?
CK9 in outpost
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...

Offline Sirbomber

Free Time
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 09:35:49 PM »
Depends.  PM me which one it is.

Edit: Anyways, I'm kinda wondering if entries should be judged and voted on.  Judging would be based on specific critera while voting would just be popularity (which, arguably, may be more important in this type of contest).

Still can't think of any good prizes though... I don't suppose you'd be willing to settle for a "Judge's Choice" and/or "People's Choice" award? :P

Actually, that wouldn't be a bad idea, if we had some kind of database where people could upload content.  It could have a system for posting feedback, and maps/missions/etc. could be given special awards for all to see... If only we had a system like that (hmmm, do I smell a suggestion for those considering entering the Programming contest?).
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 10:34:36 PM by Sirbomber »

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Free Time
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 12:35:09 AM »
I'd say have a vote, and if not enought people vote, or if there is no clear winner, then elect some judges to decide, which may be as simple as just having them vote to unbalance things a little.

Btw, since there is no real way of checking if someone has voted for their own entry, I say allow it. It can just be assumed that everyone votes for their own entry, so it's only other people's votes that will untie things and force a winner. Unless of course someone submits and entry and really feels another entry was superior.

Offline AmIMeYet

Free Time
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 02:25:36 AM »
That system that Sirbomber is talking about: I can easily make it. Files would have to be uploaded to the file-forum though, and then a link added to a submission. The way I would like to make such a voting system basically only gives me a database to work with, and not nearly enough storage for files. I can make that system in Ruby using Sinatra and Datamapper, and put it online on heroku.com. I've done it before. It will have to be off these servers though.. I hope that won't be a problem.

And Hooman, if I just make such a system myself, instead of using the forum voting, vote-for-your-own-entry could easily be disabled.

I can start work on it in July, and it should be done pretty quickly.

Also, I'm currently thinking of joining programming and OP2 in other games. Those seem pretty doable and fun, although I hope my skills with Hammer aren't too rusty.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 03:15:18 AM by AmIMeYet »

Offline Spikerocks101

Free Time
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 05:16:25 AM »
First Sunday of a month Content Competition? I recall having something like that at my school once (except it was for food... so I never entered). I probably won't have anything to enter then a quick 5 minute picture I drew in paint XD
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline evecolonycamander

Free Time
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 07:27:33 AM »
Fine so no trainer THAT is a good thing sheet edits are what ill give then.
Red text is annoying.
ya i know that you hate COLORS.
 :P  
''The blight cant get us up here!''
-famous last words
--------------o0o--------------
Outpost 2: EoM project status: Re-planning

Offline TH300

Free Time
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 07:30:47 AM »
Anyways, I'm kinda wondering if entries should be judged and voted on.  Judging would be based on specific critera while voting would just be popularity (which, arguably, may be more important in this type of contest).
That sounds like a good idea.

Still can't think of any good prizes though... I don't suppose you'd be willing to settle for a "Judge's Choice" and/or "People's Choice" award? :P
Awards would be better than nothing. But I would create new content even without this contest...

Actually, that wouldn't be a bad idea, if we had some kind of database where people could upload content.  It could have a system for posting feedback, and maps/missions/etc. could be given special awards for all to see... If only we had a system like that (hmmm, do I smell a suggestion for those considering entering the Programming contest?).
That would be a single location where people can find everything. Since that would make it easier to find stuff, I really like this idea. But on the other hand playable maps and missions are integrated in the Outpost2 download regularly, thus removing the point in putting them in the database (well, they could be included, but without a download link). Of course there will always be stuff that won't be included in the op2 dl, such as the mapper or some mods.

Anyways, if this database becomes true, it should be hosted by opu, because relying on third parties is always bad.

evecolonycamander, if someone doesn't like to read red text that doesn't mean he/she hates colors. Its just annoying if I read a forum thread and in the middle there is red text for no obvious reason. Normally, the color red is used to highlight very important parts of a post.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 07:38:16 AM by TH300 »

Offline Sirbomber

Free Time
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 08:07:12 AM »
But on the other hand playable maps and missions are integrated in the Outpost2 download regularly
The last update (a beta version, mind you; we have yet to see a final version) was released two years ago.  That's hardly a regular occurrence.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Free Time
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 09:28:20 AM »
Not to mention that a LOT of fan-made content gets left out duringthe updates (such as my only multiplayer map that was set up...even if it does need some changes still...)  Bomber, I'll have the pm to you soon.  If you don't remember it from my description I'll beat you sensless :P
CK9 in outpost

Offline AmIMeYet

Free Time
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2010, 05:20:18 PM »
Anyways, if this database becomes true, it should be hosted by opu, because relying on third parties is always bad.
I don't see any reason for that.. It's only going to be used for a really short period (and everything could be posted to the forum once the results are in anyway). And if you're worried about downtime.. .. there is none.

While I'm away on holiday, I'll make some sketches for this system. I'll see where this discussion ends when I get back.

Offline TH300

Free Time
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2010, 02:18:22 PM »
I don't see any reason for that.. It's only going to be used for a really short period (and everything could be posted to the forum once the results are in anyway). And if you're worried about downtime.. .. there is none.

While I'm away on holiday, I'll make some sketches for this system. I'll see where this discussion ends when I get back.
I thought, it should become a permanent thing. Creating it only for the contest would probably be a waste of effort.

Offline Sirbomber

Free Time
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2010, 03:43:40 PM »
Uhhh, yeah...

Offline Zhall

Free Time
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2010, 11:54:10 PM »
Ill be submiting my outpost 3 (starcraft 2) map for judging.. permitting its playable by then.

Whens it due again?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 11:57:16 PM by Zhall »
Pumping out awsome.