Poll

Should Outpost: Second Chance include an AI that taunts you?

Yes, even in campaigns and colony games
15 (83.3%)
Yes, but only in multiplayer
0 (0%)
No, since the taunts will probably be goofy
3 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Taunting AI  (Read 19208 times)

Offline Sirbomber

Taunting AI
« on: September 14, 2009, 08:01:41 PM »
As I was working on the hostile AI for Eden 5, I decided to give the AI one of three randomly chosen "personalities" so that the AI would act a little differently each time you played.  This gave me the idea of having the AI taunt you on occasion based on its personality by bragging about its upcoming offense, impenetrable defense, technological superiority, or whatever.  What do people think?
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Kayedon

Taunting AI
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 10:59:56 PM »
If you can do it, go for it.
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Offline Hidiot

Taunting AI
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 05:47:46 AM »
There's a fine line between funny and too goofy.

Now, I know this might involve work done in vain, but I'd rather first see what you will make and then cast my opinion.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Sirbomber

Taunting AI
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 08:01:06 AM »
What do you mean by that, Hidiot?  You'd like to know what kind of taunts the AI will use, or how/when it will use them, or...?

Edit: Note that when I say the taunts will be goofy, it's not because I'll try to make them funny, it's because they'll be lame since I suck at coming up with taunts that don't involve the word "n00b" somewhere in there.  :P  
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 08:02:14 AM by Sirbomber »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline Hidiot

Taunting AI
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 08:42:20 AM »
The kind of taunts.

And then, well... If there are taunts that hint to an incoming attack, they only serve to blow the AI's surprise attack, putting the player on alert.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Sirbomber

Taunting AI
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 03:23:47 PM »
OP2 doesn't really have surprise attacks, unless you turn your lights off...

I figured I'd have the AI taunt you:
1) When your attack failed miserably.
2) When it was launching a major offensive.
3) When it was busy owning you.
4) When your forces were vastly inferior to/outnumbered by the AI's.
5) More?

I have no idea what the taunts actually would be though...  A major problem will be the limited space available for messages.

Offline Zardox Xheonov

Taunting AI
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 04:38:20 PM »
"Oh how you'll crumble befor Edens mighty Hammer!"  (Thorish pwn)

"I see your stuck on the spot, got foam?"  (sticky foam rampage)

"Hey! I have a stradegy, it's called lossing miseribly!" (ai beating you)

"How rude! Ever heard of knocking?" (when your in the ai's base)

Anyone got any other ideas? im just getting started!
Hit me up on discord, if I am online, you know I'll be gaming.

(Lord Of Pain is no more, I am currently now "Zardox" and have been for awhile on other platforms.)

Offline Kayedon

Taunting AI
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 04:40:03 PM »
Can't forget ur deth, mortl.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 04:40:49 PM by Kayedon »
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Offline Sirbomber

Taunting AI
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 05:05:00 PM »
Can't forget UR DETH MORTL
Fixed.

Anyways, this may come as a shock to many of you, but I'll try to refrain from Tankn00b/Birdn00b taunts for this.

Lord Of Pain, those taunts reek of bad puns and over-used cliches, and therefore suck.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Taunting AI
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 12:48:35 AM »
That is a shock. But one I'm pleased with.

I'd seriously considered doing something like this myself. Although, with a slightly different twist. I wasn't going to have the AI mock you, I was going to have your own savant do it. Occasional laughing at your miserable situation when you're doing really badly, and perhaps a few "oh by the way..." warnings that have come way too late to be useful.

That and of course dancing cargo trucks.

If you need help with custom in game sounds, I may try to look into it, as I've wanted to do that myself.

Offline Sirbomber

Taunting AI
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 07:11:26 AM »
The "Savant that ridicules your terrible judgment" thing was done in OP1(.5), so you could use that for inspiration.

Anyways, I was just going to play the player message/telephone sound effect from multiplayer, but the custom sound idea would be nice.  That said, what did you have in mind?  Haxing sounds together to make new ones, or recording a voice-over, or...?

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Taunting AI
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 12:55:41 PM »
Taunts can be fun, but timing is everything.  One thing that annoys me most in any game is when I get several messages at a time.  Whenever it happens, I have to go to the chat menu to make sure it didn't skip telling me about a disaster right on top of my CC.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Sirbomber

Taunting AI
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 01:27:36 PM »
Well, considering that disasters and AI attacks are at semi-random intervals, there's really not much I can do to ensure there's no overlap.

Also, you probably won't be happy to find out that in Eden 5 there's a chance that you can get hit by a quake, two groups of spawned AI units, and an attack from the primary hostile AI all at once (when this happens, see if you can get the AI units to fight each other).

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Taunting AI
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 12:14:54 AM »
I was thinking voice over.

AoE had some good sound taunts.
"Someone's in your base"
"Woolooolulloo" ;)

Offline Sirbomber

Taunting AI
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 07:49:14 AM »
If I wanted to rip ideas from other games, I'd steal from Duke Nukem...

Offline Kayedon

Taunting AI
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2009, 03:37:05 PM »
I can do voice recordings. My school has a professional voice-recording studio, so I can ask if I can use it for a personal project. Just give me the lines and how you want them said. [:
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Offline Sirbomber

Taunting AI
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2009, 05:21:10 PM »
Well, let's not jump into anything yet.  While most people seem to think this is a good idea, I'm not even all that sure about it myself.  Even if I go with it, we have to figure out a way to actually get them into OP2, and then we need to write several taunts that aren't all basically variations on "you suck" or "prepare to die" or something lame like that.  We probably also don't want all of the AIs to sound identical, so that's another problem.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Taunting AI
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2009, 04:53:20 AM »
Hint: look for things triggered by disasters that point towards audio files =p
CK9 in outpost
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...

Offline Sirbomber

Taunting AI
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2009, 08:07:16 AM »
How would that help?

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Taunting AI
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2009, 08:17:36 PM »
we have to figure out a way to actually get them into OP2[/QOUTE]

does that not involve triggering the audio file?
CK9 in outpost

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Taunting AI
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2009, 10:06:42 PM »
That would be an easy way, yes. Although, if you replace the originals, then it's sort of annoying. Especially if you want to play with the originals.

Besides, simply replacing the originals doesn't allow for more custom triggers for these sound files. Actually, even just being able to silence some of the originals would be nice. Regular power updates? You already get warnings when it croses certain thresholds, so why the periodic audio updates?

Offline Sirbomber

Taunting AI
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2009, 10:15:56 PM »
I don't want to replace existing files.  I see two options:
1) I make a custom VOL that stores all new sounds, and then manually play them using trigger callback functions.
2) I use a resource compiler to hax the sounds right into the mission itself.  As for this, well...
Ask me to saw off my right arm.  It would be easier.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Taunting AI
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2009, 12:30:20 PM »
especially if you're left handed :P
CK9 in outpost

Offline Sirbomber

Taunting AI
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2009, 02:08:10 PM »
Oh noes!!  The bad guys are about to attack me!

Don't worry, the taunt (and the AI player's name) are just temporary placeholders until we think of something better.

Oh, on a totally unrelated note, how would people feel about a custom CLM for Second Chance?  I was thinking this and this have a nice OP2 feel.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 02:27:44 PM by Sirbomber »

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Taunting AI
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2009, 11:33:04 PM »
Lol. YouTube doesn't work in this browser mode, but the titles were instantly recognizable. But no, I wouldn't not want to download that to listen in game.