Author Topic: Net Work Loger  (Read 3117 times)

Offline Ice Blade2097

Net Work Loger
« on: September 14, 2009, 04:21:30 PM »
Second time a company I haven't even heard of said my email address with x ip address at x time signed up for a service I didn't sign up for.

As such I was wondering if anyone here knew of any good network loging programs that might help prove my position in the future?

Not sure if any exist but it it could list the ip address of the computer and what they did would be most helpful.

Offline AmIMeYet

Net Work Loger
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 09:43:09 AM »
Well that sucks!

Do you have a router? If so, you might be able to have it mail it's logs to you.
But are you sure you wan't everyone who's looking in to your computer know what sites you visited at what time?

I don't know any programs from the top of my mind..

Also, this logging behaviour kinda reminds me of spyware :D

Offline Sirbomber

Net Work Loger
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 10:23:33 AM »
Yes, but in this case it's a security measure.

I've heard of software that does what you want to do, but I forget the name of it.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Hidiot

Net Work Loger
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 12:22:08 PM »
I know gmail records activity on your account, including the IP that used it.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Kayedon

Net Work Loger
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 04:38:32 PM »
I know gmail records activity on your account, including the IP that used it.
OT: Gmail belongs to Google. Google records EVERYTHING.
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Net Work Loger
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 12:39:20 AM »
lol.

Maybe just search for parental control software.

Was it even your IP address? (Or possibly your IP address, as they usually change for most people from time to time).

Of course, if you have a router, than any computer behind the router will have the same external IP address. If you're only monitoring your own computer, then it still might not catch things from you. You don't happen to have any evil siblings playing a prank on you, do you?

And of course keep in mind that IP addresses can be spoofed, or those people could be lying to you.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Net Work Loger
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 12:48:50 PM »
I'd be wary about even responding to these companies.  I've gotten several emails in the past from spoof companies trying to bs me into giving out personal information that could be used for identity theft.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Net Work Loger
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 01:27:19 AM »
sounds like typical email spam to me.

Offline instigator

Net Work Loger
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 09:58:45 AM »
freeza posts!

and yes, I agree

Offline Ice Blade2097

Net Work Loger
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 07:14:58 PM »
I would like to say while yes I have never heard of this company before I do have a bill tacked on to my phone bill for $15 extra bucks for a voice mail service that I did not sign up for.

When calling the company to remove the charge she canceled my supposed account but wouldn't refund the initial $15 dollars.  Claiming that my email address and x ip address signed up for the account at x time on such and such day.  While, yes I know their lying about me signing up for it and while after googling about the company this seems to be an issue with many people getting bills from this company for a service they did not sign up for.  It is still rather annoying as it is the second time this has happened by the same company.

I have contacted my phone company to disallow any third party service unless I physically turning in a piece of paper with my signature.  Also had the phone company resend the bill back to the company and refund my money.

Which probably leaves you asking why do I still want a network logger?

1) To give me more ground to stand on if this happens again.

Ill post later which company it was incase this happens to anyone else so they can have a heads up.