Author Topic: A Sandbox-based Colony Game?  (Read 11253 times)

Offline Conestoga

A Sandbox-based Colony Game?
« on: September 06, 2009, 12:35:57 PM »
I've been playing Outpost 2 (obviously) for ages and I've come to realize the current Colony Games we currently have set into the game to be getting boring with the same old routine.

I wish to have a new game that revolves around nothing. Just have a blast expanding in a massive map with Plymouth NPC all around. Since I don't know how to make maps myself and actually code them (because the Wiki instructions suck like that), I need someone to help design it for me if its possible.

If you're good with mapping/coding, could you please PM me so I can give you details for a map I had an idea to make? Thanks.

~Conestoga
Robert E. Lee - "Get correct views of life, and learn to see the world in its true light. It will enable you to live pleasantly, to do good, and, when summoned away, to leave without regret."

Offline Spikerocks101

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 03:31:34 PM »
CONESTOGA, IT'S BEEN AGES!
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Conestoga

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 03:55:10 PM »
CONESTOGA, IT'S BEEN AGES!
I'm back from the dead. Rawr!  :ph34r:

~Conestoga
Robert E. Lee - "Get correct views of life, and learn to see the world in its true light. It will enable you to live pleasantly, to do good, and, when summoned away, to leave without regret."

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 05:34:32 PM »
I made two so people could fiddle around with the new techtree/unit stats for OP:SC.  But you probably want sandbox maps that don't need a mod to be played.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Conestoga

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 09:18:00 PM »
I made two so people could fiddle around with the new techtree/unit stats for OP:SC.  But you probably want sandbox maps that don't need a mod to be played.
Where can I possibly find these files so I can add them to my game? If its not compatible for what I currently got, I'm still going to need help to have someone make for me.

~Conestoga

Offline Kalshion

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 10:57:48 PM »
I hear ya Conestoga, one of the reasons why I don't play OP2 much now-a-days is because of how boring the current maps are.

We don't really have any maps that are big, but have Plymouth (or Eden) attack you. Likewise, all of them have objectives that either have you fleeing from the blight or have you building your colony to a certain point. Personally, I'd love a good big map where you can just fight and build, not have to worry about anything except for plausible disasters (like Tornados, earthquakes and the like)

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 11:18:18 PM »
Where can I possibly find these files so I can add them to my game? If its not compatible for what I currently got, I'm still going to need help to have someone make for me.
With a little bit of luck I'll be releasing a new version soon.  Just keep in mind that "soon" can mean awhile around here!

If you really want to play the colony games, look around in the File Forum.  You'll need the beta/demo of my mod, and that comes with a 4-map demo campaign, so you might be interested in that as well.  You can find that in the "Other Projects" forum.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline Conestoga

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 12:12:05 AM »
With a little bit of luck I'll be releasing a new version soon.  Just keep in mind that "soon" can mean awhile around here!

If you really want to play the colony games, look around in the File Forum.  You'll need the beta/demo of my mod, and that comes with a 4-map demo campaign, so you might be interested in that as well.  You can find that in the "Other Projects" forum.
Thanks a lot, I'll look into it. As long as it keeps me occupied until that project of yours is complete.  :D

EDIT: Additionally, you know what someone should do for the sake of some people that actually want to try and make their own maps? Go over the Wiki about how to set up the Map Editor properly along with getting up C++ and CodeBlocks.

Trust me, I'm sure most of you pros are getting tired of being asked to make maps for people like me.  :heh:

~Conestoga
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 12:39:30 AM by Conestoga »

Offline Hidiot

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 01:59:00 AM »
I used to be an aspiring map code writer back in 2007 and I almost never used the wiki since. Can't say I'm any real map code writer today, but, will permitting, I can make working maps.

I found that the best way is figuring things yourself from within the SDK itself and asking on the forums things you don't fully get. I used to not get the simplest of things, over which I beat myself up each time I remember that today.

Asking for someone else to do your project has only a vague possibility of working here, since anyone who can code has their own projects.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 02:29:29 AM »
and most of us mappers are busy working with the coders on those projets, heh

I'm working with bomber on his project (and am the main source of delay lately, lol), otherwise I'd be happy to make a super-sized map for a sandbox game...well...I'd be happy until I started working on the smaller details, heh
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline evecolonycamander

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 12:13:42 PM »
I can make the map for you but thats all enless you want a super blight wall or some thing. you are also going to have to realize that i cant code expt the sheet editing i do
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 12:17:56 PM by evecolonycamander »
''The blight cant get us up here!''
-famous last words
--------------o0o--------------
Outpost 2: EoM project status: Re-planning

Offline Conestoga

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 08:26:02 PM »
and most of us mappers are busy working with the coders on those projets, heh

I'm working with bomber on his project (and am the main source of delay lately, lol), otherwise I'd be happy to make a super-sized map for a sandbox game...well...I'd be happy until I started working on the smaller details, heh
And thats why I'm asking if someone would take the time to re-review the Wiki instructions on proper installing and utilizing of Microsoft C++ and CodeBlocks so people like me don't bug you on that sort of stuff since I know you're busy.  :heh:

~Conestoga :op2:
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 08:28:00 PM by Conestoga »

Offline Hidiot

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 01:51:27 AM »
Busy enough to not be able to do your project for you, but not busy enough to not lend a hand every now and then.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline PUNK_FOX

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 07:37:56 PM »
I hear ya Conestoga, one of the reasons why I don't play OP2 much now-a-days is because of how boring the current maps are.

We don't really have any maps that are big, but have Plymouth (or Eden) attack you. Likewise, all of them have objectives that either have you fleeing from the blight or have you building your colony to a certain point. Personally, I'd love a good big map where you can just fight and build, not have to worry about anything except for plausible disasters (like Tornados, earthquakes and the like)
See, that's what I'd like to hear, kalshion. That's an awesome opinion. Anyways, if anyone could give me a tutorial and the download links to creating a colony game, I would be happy to create a sandbox colony game. I know it wouldn't be easy as pie but I'd like to give it a shot B)  
Punk Staind Blood

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2009, 07:30:06 AM »
SDK download: http://www.outpost-universe.net/files/coding/op2_dllsdk.zip
CodeBlocks homepage: http://www.codeblocks.org/
CodeBlocks setup info: http://wiki.outpostuniverse.net/Compiler_Setup
(Note: Somebody recently posted a tutorial on setting up MSVC for use with the SDK, so if you'd rather use that, you can.)

MSVC Compiler (not the MSVC IDE): http://www.outpost-universe.net/files/codi...oolkit-base.msi
(This is on the CodeBlocks setup page, but I figured I may as well post it here anyways.)

Offline PUNK_FOX

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2009, 11:57:49 AM »
Alright. Thanks Sirbomber.

The only application I can't install is the toolkit-base. I tried downloading the isscript but it still wouldn't work. I don't know what's it for but who ever is best at it, tell me what its for so we could plan this sandbox out (thumbsup)  
Punk Staind Blood

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2009, 10:09:46 PM »
You need it to actually compile your mission code into a DLL that OP2 can run.

Offline PUNK_FOX

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2009, 11:38:39 PM »
Well then it looks like I'm gonna have to do something but what exactly? <_<

What can I do without the toolkit base?

Maybe someone could do the toolkit base while I do the rest  :heh:  
Punk Staind Blood

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2009, 11:35:00 AM »
Perhaps you could be more specific than say "it doesn't work"?

Offline PUNK_FOX

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2009, 01:11:42 PM »
I need an isscript. I downloaded the latest one but it apparently didn't work still
Punk Staind Blood

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2009, 02:15:27 PM »
Any specific error messages?

Telling us that it "doesn't work" doesn't help us.

Offline PUNK_FOX

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2009, 04:56:21 PM »
[1: The InstallScript engine is missing from this machine.
If available, please run ISScript.msi, or contact your support personnel for further assistance.]

That's what the message said

I downloaded it though but its as if nothing happened
Punk Staind Blood

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2009, 06:20:06 PM »
Google and download it then.

You're running Windows, right?

Offline PUNK_FOX

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2009, 07:37:30 PM »
That's the problem

I did download it but nothing happened

I still get the same problem
Punk Staind Blood

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2009, 07:38:13 PM »
Dunno; ask Hooman maybe?