Author Topic: New Colony Games  (Read 14177 times)

Offline Angellus Mortis

New Colony Games
« on: August 01, 2009, 06:46:26 PM »
Hello. I am making a colony game for both Eden and Plymouth (there will be no difference just the faction will be). The game is on an edited version of the 6 player map Axen's Home Volcanoes (map included if you do not have it). The goal is to get 2000 colonists, 400,000 common metals, and 200,000 rare metals. After that you have to make a starship. You start off with units and no structures, similar to multiplayer Land Rush. This is what I have so far. I have all the disasters working, including the volcanoes, but the intervals are the intervals are a bit off. It is uses the survtechm tech tree made by Sirbomber, and modified by Hidiot (which can be gotten from here). There is a simple AI that builds a base and researches and expands their base. Please test them and post feedback.

The ce2000u.dll is the Eden version and the cp2000u.dll is the Plymouth version. The Plymouth version has a Plymouth AI instead of an Eden AI, for now.

I will keep updating the game so if you are interested, please keep checking back.

Updated: 09:00 2/10/2010

Last Update: AI builds up nicely and they get Guard Post right away. Volcano animation added in on easy; other difficulties later. Also, nice surprises added in, especially on hard :)

Note on axenvolcanescellfix.map: This version of axenvolcanoes has had cells modified because the lava would glitch the tiles.

Note: The full code has been post on SVN: svn://68.146.111.58/outpost2/New Colony Games/angellus/2000 pop, units WARNING: code is old. Ask me for new code.

The download link is now below.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 08:10:09 AM by angellus »

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
New Colony Games
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 11:30:03 PM »
Ehh..., you might want to mention to replaced the download in the post above for those who aren't reading edit dates closely.

Offline Angellus Mortis

New Colony Games
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 08:08:41 AM »
Good point Hooman. Link will be here from now on.

Offline Moley

New Colony Games
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 06:55:33 PM »
ok... i tested it, not beat it, yet...
the supernova lynx is a dirty trick... :(
but i used it insteed to destroy the CC for the AI base easly at mark 50 somthing...
other than random lava ore sites in grey rock... nothing bad...
I HATE SPELLING!!!!!!
if i spell something or screw up grammer,
ignore it or tell me if you dont understand what i typed.

Offline Hidiot

New Colony Games
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 06:02:20 AM »
Tone down your earthquakes. Only once in a long while should you risk an earthquake that can bring your CC down.

Also, while it's nice to have a chance for the blight to enter the game, try to make it so it is controlled by the player. That means no massive earthquake that destroys the A Lab prematurely, thus ending your game :/

The AI base still has one very narrow free entrance, even after the lava is settled.

Try to use just one eruption per volcano, or a max of two. And try to not erupt just all volcanoes. Some of them just erupt after they're already surrounded by lava, thus not making much sense.

Do give the player 2 residences to start with on Hard. It's not exactly hard to keep the colony alive, but it takes way too long to start growing your colony in size. Maybe remove a little more pop.

Disasters are  too frequent. It becomes annoying hearing all those alerts and you can hardly keep track of them, looking out for that one disaster that may actually affect you.

EDIT: Did I mention Day/Night? If not, please give us day/night :P

Scrap the AI's microwave turrets, they're worthless. Also, if the AI gets 5 MHDs to start with, what's the use of giving it Tokamaks?

Oh, and you might have some infinite loops lingering. I know I somehow got into one.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 07:32:57 AM by Hidiot »
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Moley

New Colony Games
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 04:39:50 PM »
Ok, ummm.... HOLY CARP!
the mega quake is stupid when i have to resherch CC...
i somehow survived, but w/o mines,cargo trucks, and one robo-miner
I HATE SPELLING!!!!!!

Offline Angellus Mortis

New Colony Games
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 05:21:03 PM »
the supernova lynx is a dirty trick... :(
That was accidental. I was too lazy to fix it. It is just for testing purposes.

Tone down your earthquakes. Only once in a long while should you risk an earthquake that can bring your CC down.

I meant for the one to be there. I gave a warning on easier difficultlies. Should I on hard too? How much in advance?

Also, while it's nice to have a chance for the blight to enter the game, try to make it so it is controlled by the player. That means no massive earthquake that destroys the A Lab prematurely, thus ending your game :/

I was thinking about changing it, I just have not yet. The Lab gets destroyed when you get 2000 people.

The hole was known. You have to have someway in. It will be handled when I give them units though. Volcanoes, too lazy to fix. They work and everything is fine. I am trying to fix the animations though. I was thinking about Residents for Hard because I know what you mean with too long. As for the night and day, it is there, but for some reason you cannot see. I will look into it. If you want to disasters fixed, I will give you the code for them and you can edit the trigger intervals, I have no idea when they should be. The microwaves get a lot stronger later in the game so they can stay. They build more buildings so they need the power.

Oh, and you might have some infinite loops lingering. I know I somehow got into one.
Can you give me more details? Like what may of caused it?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 05:27:07 PM by angellus »

Offline Hidiot

New Colony Games
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 05:52:29 AM »
The infinite loops come out of the blue, with not pattern is sight. I once got one in the early part of the game, once in the very late part of the game... Could be one loop that starts under specific conditions that may happen within a large time interval, or several loops in smaller time intervals. No code, no idea.

Offline Sirbomber

New Colony Games
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 08:04:21 AM »
No code, no idea.
Actually, I believe it's available on the SVN.  I may be wrong though...
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Angellus Mortis

New Colony Games
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 08:52:25 AM »
The old code is on SVN and I have noticed the infinite loop, but you said Hidiot, it seems random. If you guys want the code, here.  It is only for the Eden version. The Plymouth version is the same with just the faction change.

Also another thing, sorry if the code is a bit unorganized. I will organize it sooner or later.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 08:53:57 AM by angellus »

Offline Hidiot

New Colony Games
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 09:03:14 AM »
No code, no idea.
Actually, I believe it's available on the SVN.  I may be wrong though...
I was aware of that, and I was also aware that the code there was an old version.

Offline Angellus Mortis

New Colony Games
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 09:39:55 AM »
Hidiot, I would like your opinion on the uberquake. Should I give a warning on hard? If so, how much of a warning? I gave one on easy and normal, 100 marks and 50 marks respectively.

Offline Sirbomber

New Colony Games
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 10:01:53 AM »
Uberquakes are fun.  I say keep 'em, and give no warning other than the two warnings OP2 gives you by default (better yet, hax them so they have no warning).
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline Angellus Mortis

New Colony Games
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 12:19:13 PM »
Uberquakes are fun.  I say keep 'em, and give no warning other than the two warnings OP2 gives you by default (better yet, hax them so they have no warning).
Lol. Okay. Just a note, it will kill you if you do not have a second base.

Offline Sirbomber

New Colony Games
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 01:06:40 PM »
Wait, it's targetted?!  What the heck?!

Offline Angellus Mortis

New Colony Games
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2010, 08:38:44 AM »
Wait, it's targetted?!  What the heck?!
Yes. It is. Look at the code. I targeted it to your first CC. :)

Offline Hidiot

New Colony Games
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2010, 09:44:02 AM »
That's largely unfair...

Also, I was talking about the random quakes that happen around the map. Those are too powerful, as well.

Offline Angellus Mortis

New Colony Games
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2010, 12:46:55 PM »
That's largely unfair...

Also, I was talking about the random quakes that happen around the map. Those are too powerful, as well.
That is why I asked you if I should give a warning and how much of one. Also, I do not know what really is fair for normal disasters. If you change the disaster setup in the code and send it to me, I will probably accept the changes.

Offline Larrythepoet

New Colony Games
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2010, 08:26:33 AM »
So... About that blight
No.

Offline Angellus Mortis

New Colony Games
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2010, 05:34:03 PM »
:)

Offline Larrythepoet

New Colony Games
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2010, 09:47:30 PM »
<_<  
No.

Offline evecolonycamander

New Colony Games
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2010, 08:21:52 PM »
i just downloaded this. i see a super nova lynx below my convoy. so i chose to detonate it on the unsuspecting colony i see nearby. my reaction is this DAMN that was funny. the blight appears and kills me off. totally worth it. i ask though why such a dirty trick? to get suckers like me? all the wile i couldn't breath properly cause i was laughing so hard. also what are the fail conditions? all of my units where destroyed. so why not hear the
You have failed, our colony is doomed
EDIT: HOW DO YOU BUILD A SPARE COLONY!?!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 09:52:54 PM by evecolonycamander »
''The blight cant get us up here!''
-famous last words
--------------o0o--------------
Outpost 2: EoM project status: Re-planning

Offline Moley

New Colony Games
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2010, 06:22:20 AM »
the lynx is there to give people the chance to build without the Blight, or add it in...

and build another CC+SF somewhere else

PS: I found the the quake strikes directly between my 2 CC's ...
I HATE SPELLING!!!!!!

Offline evecolonycamander

New Colony Games
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2010, 10:37:06 AM »
if i read properly the super quake is aimed at your first CC. my issue is how do you build another one to avoid losing. what line of teks do you research
''The blight cant get us up here!''
-famous last words
--------------o0o--------------
Outpost 2: EoM project status: Re-planning

Offline Hidiot

New Colony Games
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2010, 11:08:23 AM »
It's an Advanced Lab Tech. Just get the A Lab built and happy waiting.

Yes, there is an in-between tech, but it's the most essential one.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 11:32:01 AM by Hidiot »