Author Topic: New Uptime Record  (Read 2252 times)

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
New Uptime Record
« on: May 29, 2009, 08:25:49 PM »
Aha! Finally the day has come.

I just check the uptime on the machine that runs the game server and the SVN repository.

uptime
 7:54PM  up 366 days, 11:08, 1 user, load averages: 0.60, 0.32, 0.27

It's been running for over a year continuously (even if it was a leap year).  :)
Plus, I did it without a UPS.

Btw, the game server software itself hasn't been running continuously for quite that long, but meh. It needed some upgrades.

I was thinking of replacing that computer with a much newer machine about a month ago, but then I saw the uptime, and figured, ahh, why not delay that a little. Besides, I never really have the time to toy much with it anymore, and I've been wondering how the power consumption of the newer machine compares to the older one. It's not like that machine gets heavy use anyways, so it doesn't need to be super fast or anything.

Offline Sirbomber

New Uptime Record
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 10:14:45 PM »
It needed some upgrades.
Needed?  Still needs, I say.  :P  
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
New Uptime Record
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 06:36:32 PM »
In what ways exactly?

Offline Leviathan

New Uptime Record
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 04:17:50 AM »
Very nice :D

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
New Uptime Record
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 04:18:48 PM »
$ uptime
 4:23PM  up 417 days,  7:37, 1 user, load averages: 0.17, 0.13, 0.12
$ sudo /sbin/shutdown -h now
Password:
Shutdown NOW!

Thus ends the record.

Offline Sirbomber

New Uptime Record
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 11:39:39 PM »
Owned.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Spikerocks101

New Uptime Record
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 12:49:44 AM »
Maybe i have this wrong, but it says that is was 4:23, even thou the poast was made at 4:18 :P
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
New Uptime Record
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 07:54:15 PM »
Could be due to clock skew. Computer clocks are notoriously bad at keeping accurate time. There is a reason things like NTP exist. Second, it could be a time zone thing, coupled with a delay in me posting the pasted value. I copied and pasted it into notepad, and I think I got distracted for a while before posting it, possibly setting up the replacement computer. Wouldn't want excessive downtime for the services that were on that machine after all. So, taking the time zone into account, it may have been done nearly an hour before posting, or possibly longer.