Author Topic: About Ready To Throw Stuff  (Read 4012 times)

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
About Ready To Throw Stuff
« on: July 15, 2009, 02:39:01 AM »
Hey guys, hoping someone here will be able to think of something I haven't

May have mentioned this before, but my old mobo died, got a new one (ASUS P5GC-MX/1333), and I'm thinking, "awesome!".  I didn't think to test the audio, though (I keep it mute 75% of the time).  I started hooking up my sterio to play the computer sounds, only to find that it doesn't want to play any audio.  I tried web links and got no clicks, system sounds and the play button won't even show up, and the sample music and get an error message about the audio device.  So, I go to the  Realtek HD Audio Manager and have it test the audio.  The test noises it goes through all work perfectly...nothing else will.

So, I wander the web, looking for answers.  I find a possible answer saying the Microsoft Audio might not be set to auto (it was), another saying to check for errors in the device manager (none there), one saying to update the driver (If I didn't have system restore, Windows update wouldn't be working anymore...still trying to figgure that one out), and a final one talking about a KB888111, which is intended for SP1 and SP2...I have XP SP3....yea...

I keep seeing these same solutions being reitterated all over, but nothing else.  Help?
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 12:40:06 PM »
maybe its the type of audio your trying to play if your hearing it play the test sounds for the realtek test.  Or it could be what ever your using to play the audio.

If it plays a different audio file say wav or mp3 then i would say its a codec problem. But i would make sure that the speakers in realtek manager are set to default and not the hdmi unless you want to play sound out of a tv or monitor.

and personally i never cruise the foryms of the net for just that reason same s*** after same s*** and no one with a real solution.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 05:51:20 PM »
Do you know how to check on those settings?  I've been though it and can't find any form of setting/options/configuration menu.  I'm really starting to hate realtek integrated audio cards >.<
CK9 in outpost
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 10:24:23 PM »
I have a Realtek audio card that can retask the audio jacks. I used to have trouble getting the microphone to work. I plugged it into the pink jack with the microphone symbol, but it never worked. It wasn't until I found out how to retask the pink jack to actually be a microphone jack before it worked.

That, and just trying to find out what volumes to set, and what things to mute in the Windows volume control.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 10:53:19 PM »
yea...my windows volume control just keeps saying "No Device Detected"
CK9 in outpost

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 11:09:04 PM »
I had to do the retasking from the RealTek program.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 12:55:40 AM »
mine uses the ASUS menu....and it only shows when something is or is not plugged into the back panel...
CK9 in outpost

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 11:22:29 PM »
Well you've reached the end of my meager experiences with this then.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 03:30:17 AM »
*sigh* I can't ask asus for help because I don't have the s/n (my dad wrote it down somewhere before he tossed the box, but knowing him there's a 60% chance that what he wrote it on got thrown out since then)
CK9 in outpost

Offline Mez

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 04:37:45 PM »
If I have read this thread correctly. (and made the correct assumptions)
Windows Device manager detects that you have a "Realtek High Definition Audio device"

You can get no sound from the OS / applications.

You get sound when using the realtek/asus audio test program.  i.e. the hardware works, so its a driver / software problem.

I do know that when SP3 was released there were problems with the realtek audio drivers (I had it on my media center at the time).  If you installed the audio drivers and then updated from SP2 to SP3 the audio stopped working for realtek cards using a particular (generic) realtek driver.

Sorry if I cover things you have already done, but I hate reading posts that suggest a single idea that you try and then have to reply that it didn't work before getting the next possible solution to try

a) Try uninstalling the device drivers, rebooting and reinstall
  However I doubt this will help and I am sure you have already tried this.

b) have you changed any of the services autostart properties? You may have accidentally disabled one, that you need.

c) try a linux live cd and see if when configured you get sound
or
d) reinstall windows with a slipstreamed copy of SP3 to a separate partition / hard drive and install the drivers to it.  The slipstreamed copy is the easiest way to install, otherwise you could do an SP2 clean install, apply SP3 and then install the drivers?

if c or d work then it is probably easiest to backup and reinstall windows.

I hope this helps

EDIT: remove the smiley
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 04:38:56 PM by Mez »

Offline CK9

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 02:58:25 AM »
a I tried, and it refused to work (realtek download evidentaly is corrupted a bit)

I checked through b, and everything is as it is supposed to be

c I can't try, as I don't have a linux live cd

d I have not tried yet, but I want to see if there's a simpler solution before I go re-installing windows.

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the fact that it only had enough pins to hoo up sound to my DVD drive and not my CD drive (or the interior speaker...though I think that came with my old mobo...)
CK9 in outpost

Offline AmIMeYet

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 05:28:42 AM »
Hm.. The linux test might not be a bad idea.

Do you have a DVD-rewritable station and a DVD-RW disk? (The RW is just a recommendation if you want to get rid of it later without losing a good disk).
It should be able to fit into a normal CD, but I'm not sure.

If you're capable of burning, it's easy.
(What I wrote below can all be read here for CD/DVD, and here for USB.

Go to the ubuntu download page. Download the desktop edition, with the big green button.
Burn ISO to disk (don't just copy the ISO, but extract it to the disk with an ISO program like PowerISO). (ubntu tutorial here.
Put disk in drive, reboot.
If you have the BIOS set to try your DVD drive first, you should see something like this.

If your BIOS isn't set to boot from the disk-drive first, you're gonna have to change that through the BIOS setup (or if you have some sort of program from your manufacturer for this purpose).

Anyway, once the disk is booted, select your language, and then you should see something like this.
Select try ubuntu.
You will then slowly boot into Ubuntu.
Open up the examle directory, and play some music. (Actually, you should also be able to hear the boot-music).

Ubuntu has been excellent in picking up my drivers, so that's why I recommend it.
This should make it clear if its mechanical (only able to squeek) or just windows/drivers.

Lets see if linux helps narrowing it down. :lol:

Offline CK9

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 01:22:57 AM »
Just realized that something else might be related to the problem, upon startup, I get the message "invalid boot.ini  starting from C:/windows"
CK9 in outpost