Author Topic: Microsoft Gets Competition  (Read 1940 times)

Offline Eddy-B

• http://www.eddy-b.com
Microsoft Gets Competition
« on: July 09, 2009, 02:28:11 AM »
I was unsure about where to put this.. it is off-topic, but it is also news.. so here it is:

Google has planned to build their own OS, as a direct competitor to MS Windows.
It will be based upon the Linux kernel, and is an extension of their browser Google Chrome.
Several news agencies have picked up the story, here's a few:

BBC
The Guardian
NY Times
CNN

Official channel: Google blogspot

« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 02:30:22 AM by Eddy-B »
Rule #1:  Eddy is always right
Rule #2: If you think he's wrong, see rule #1
--------------------

Outpost : Renegades - Eddy-B.com - Electronics Pit[/siz

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 03:32:23 AM »
I would have put it under general interest myself, but meh.

If it can run my games, I'll be interested
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline AmIMeYet

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 06:38:25 AM »
It will primarily be netbook based.. so I'm not really interested in it.
It's pretty much gonn be just another OS.. and my guess is, the only reason people will get it, is the hype that is 'google'.

Think about it, we already have Windows, Mac OS, and various popular Linux distributions (Debian, Redhat).. Do we really need another OS?

Chrome OS will be really tiny, etc. I don't think it will come to any desktop pc anytime soon. It's just Linux, with google's UI (and maybe a few bits and pieces of Android).

And, according to the google-blog-post, you can't even make programs for it! I mean.. what the?! And what about the 'no updates'?
And this is really the biggest question: What do you do if the internet is down? XD

It's safe to say that I'm not really being optimistic about google's latest project.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 12:15:10 PM by AmIMeYet »

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 05:01:30 PM »
If I knew how, I'd code my own OS that would be able to run programs from any other OS without errors...but that won't happen anytime soon, heh
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 01:20:09 AM »
First of all, most of that competition with Windows stuff seems to be from comentators on Google's release. Has Google themselves actually said anything of that sort?

Secondly, since they're basing it off the Linux kernel, and just adding their own user interface, well, isn't this just yet another distribution of Linux? How is this any different really? It's not exactly a "new" OS if it's just using the Linux kernel. Seems like a lot of hype over nothing particularly new.

Of course, I suppose the focus on reducing startup time is nice. That's always something that kind of bothered me. Still though, the OS goals seem somewhat limited, and I use my computer for a lot more than web browsing. I can see this being useful in markets for smaller devices, but it's not really something that interests me much. I prefer desktops over laptops, and don't even talk to me about "crack-berries", PDAs, or cell phones.

As for the PC market, I suppose the one thing that might change things over other Linux distributions, is it has Google's name behind it. I suppose they have the money and marketing experience to actually get people's attention and push something out there.