Author Topic: Connection Problem...  (Read 5412 times)

Offline Bonk

Connection Problem...
« on: July 07, 2009, 09:53:20 PM »
After both forwarding our ports and finding out our IPs, my friend made a game over the internet (without hamachi or anything) through Outpost 2, and I found it on the list after entering his direct IP.

But when I joined the game, the setup screen (with player colours and stuff) was blank, and it said it was waiting for the game details from the host. After waiting briefly it said the host stopped responding and I'm taken back to the main menu even though the game is still up.

So close... help please.

------

EDIT: This thread is now about how my Hamachi doesn't work. Scroll down...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 06:19:27 AM by Bonk »

Offline Brazilian Fan

Connection Problem...
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 08:59:59 AM »
Maybe it's easyer to just get Hamachi?

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Connection Problem...
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 11:15:22 AM »
Did you use the "TCP/IP" option, or the NetFix (hidden under the "Serial" option)?

Offline Bonk

Connection Problem...
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 09:29:03 PM »
I definitly did the top option. Should I try the other one?

I was trying not to get into Hamachi if we could play without it, and it seems like there is only some trivial problem stopping us at the moment.

Anyone know the reason or should I just give up...
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 09:30:03 PM by Bonk »

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Connection Problem...
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 09:46:32 PM »
Try the "Serial" option, provided you're using 1.3.5 Beta 2. We replaced that option with the NetFix code, which actually uses IP. We just didn't rename the button.

The built-in TCP/IP option has some serious issues with routers that makes it practically useless without Hamachi. The NetFix should allow direct play over IP in at least most cases.

Offline Bonk

Connection Problem...
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 01:38:02 AM »
Well see thats the thing. We're using an old version because the new one crashes on running for my friend...

Offline Kayedon

Connection Problem...
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 02:31:34 AM »
Well see thats the thing. We're using an old version because the new one crashes on running for my friend...
Is he on Win98?
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Offline Bonk

Connection Problem...
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 09:37:26 AM »
Uhh not sure, but I wouldn't think so...

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Connection Problem...
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 02:08:28 AM »
Hmm, do you have any crash details?

When does it crash, during startup, or when the game is running? Does the game just abort an operation with an error message and keep running, or is it terminated by Windows? If it's terminated, does it list a crash address? (Sometimes given as an EIP value)

I'm not aware of any crashing problems in that download package that would make it unusable.

Well, if you're using an unpatched CD install, then you'll definately need Hamachi to play if anyone has a home router.

Offline Bonk

Connection Problem...
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 06:18:45 AM »
OK I gave up and we installed Hamachi, and did everything right (I think), set up a network which he joined and then hosted a game... but it doesn't work.

And also, all the opu channels are full, which I find hard to believe

Offline Sirbomber

Connection Problem...
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 10:07:54 AM »
Try opu.net_6?  I clean that one out regularly.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Connection Problem...
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 03:19:52 PM »
Check in game that it actually lists a Hamachi IP address. Maybe the game isn't binding to the Hamachi network interface.

Offline Leviathan

Connection Problem...
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2009, 04:14:58 PM »
Yea you wanna put Hamachi to the top of the list of network so that OP2 see's it first.

Click on Start > Control Panel > Network Connections. Click Advanced on the file menu (after tools). If you cant see it click Alt on the keyboard.

Move Hamachi to the top of the list. Click Ok. You may need to restart your computer now.  

Offline Bonk

Connection Problem...
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2009, 07:43:36 PM »
ok, tried that, but...

EDIT: It magically dissapeared and we played a game (I won of course). Thanks dudes.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 09:38:24 PM by Bonk »

Offline tonyshaw

Connection Problem...
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2009, 10:02:38 PM »
Try the "Serial" option, provided you're using 1.3.5 Beta 2. We replaced that option with the NetFix code, which actually uses IP. We just didn't rename the button.

The built-in TCP/IP option has some serious issues with routers that makes it practically useless without Hamachi. The NetFix should allow direct play over IP in at least most cases.
does this mean you can no longer connect 2 computers via a game-serial cable?

my dad and i play this game this way all the time with an older version... when we tried the latest download we could no longer play via serial connect...

fortunately, we still have the older version - will all newer versions also abandon serial connect ability?  

Offline Spikerocks101

Connection Problem...
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2009, 10:48:09 PM »
you... you use serial? *twitches* thats not right... it cant be! WHAT HAPPENED TO LAN!!! *cries*
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Sirbomber

Connection Problem...
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2009, 10:58:52 PM »
Well, you could just, you know, not use the NetFix mod.  Disable it in your Outpost2.ini file.

But why are you using Serial anyways?  Use TCP/IP.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 10:59:12 PM by Sirbomber »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Connection Problem...
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2009, 11:39:24 PM »
Hmm, interesting. You don't have LAN cards in those two computers?

Sirbomber is right though, you can just disable the NetFix in Outpost2.ini and still use the most current version.

The Serial option thing is supposed to be temporary. We will evetually take over the SIGS button that used to exist. Just have to figure out how to re-enable it and such, and finish a few other changes before it gets packaged together. (I'm not really expecting this to happen all that soon).

Edit: You can also play with the "ProtocolIndex = 3" line in Outpost2.ini. By changing the number, it will take over different buttons.

Here's the chart:
Code: [Select]
	// ProtocolList
// Index:  controlId = Protocol
//  0:  3 = TCP
//  1:  5 = IPX
//  2:  4 = Modem
//  3:  7 = Serial
//  4:  6 = SIGS
You probably want to just ignore the controlId column.

I believe the default value is 4 if you remove that line from Outpost2.ini, but that button is not visible in the current version.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 11:46:13 PM by Hooman »

Offline tonyshaw

Connection Problem...
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2009, 08:17:54 PM »
Hmm, interesting. You don't have LAN cards in those two computers?

Sirbomber is right though, you can just disable the NetFix in Outpost2.ini and still use the most current version.

The Serial option thing is supposed to be temporary. We will evetually take over the SIGS button that used to exist. Just have to figure out how to re-enable it and such, and finish a few other changes before it gets packaged together. (I'm not really expecting this to happen all that soon).

Edit: You can also play with the "ProtocolIndex = 3" line in Outpost2.ini. By changing the number, it will take over different buttons.

Here's the chart:
Code: [Select]
	// ProtocolList
// Index:  controlId = Protocol
//  0:  3 = TCP
//  1:  5 = IPX
//  2:  4 = Modem
//  3:  7 = Serial
//  4:  6 = SIGS
You probably want to just ignore the controlId column.

I believe the default value is 4 if you remove that line from Outpost2.ini, but that button is not visible in the current version.
yeah! :)

i went into the outpost ini file and removed the entries for the netfix... put both copies into both computers... and presto, the serial button works now and we played it today!

thank you so much! :)

yea, we use either old or crappy computers - prone to crash if in the mood to do so...  my dad only uses the internet to download email or rarely to browse online. i use the interent to mostly just browse or chat.

dad's online computer is a worn out e-machine that barely runs... and we use an old laptop for the 2nd computer - it's screen is so old it's fading out around the edges...

generally, we enjoy playing "land rush" and don't use weapons - instead, we agree to play it as a space race and whomever gets their evac-module ready for launch wins the game... i really enjoy the "exploration" part of the beginning of the land-rush version, and we often try to split up the map equally giving the other player the 1st opportunity to grap the mines on their portion of the map...  a difficult game may take a few hours to finish...

it's really then reduced to a non-interactive game where we test our skills to see who can do a better/quicker job of exploring and developing our side of the map.

other games in the same spirit that i personally enjoy are the old nintendo m.u.l.e. game, star-reach computer game, star-fall board game... none really fully capture everything i enjoy - outpost2 comes close and is a game that my dad and i really enjoy playing together...

... but really, the only good chance i have to win against my dad is if a few disasters sets him back too far... or if we hook up a winxp with a win98, his winxp-emachine has a small percent chance of crashing and auto-rebooting on him - giving me the instant win. otherwise, my odds for winning a normal game to the end is about 1 out of 10 at best.

... anyway, i really just wanted to be sure to thank y'all for helping get the latest version to work with serial-connect - it was very kind to help me out with that :)

... and an additional thanks to all who've spent time working on these games, and keeping them alive!! :)

Offline Spikerocks101

Connection Problem...
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2009, 11:27:24 PM »
..and thank you, for keeping serial alive!!
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Connection Problem...
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2009, 11:43:53 PM »
Ehh.... Just, ehhh.

Sure, I had some fun with serial links in the past for multiplayer games, but with the widespread use of LAN cards, with increased speed and reliability.... Ehhh. I'm glad serial links are obsolete now. Far too often an hour long game came to a sudden halt when the serial link hiccuped.

But yeah, glad you got your problem sorted.

Offline tonyshaw

Connection Problem...
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2009, 12:04:14 AM »
Ehh.... Just, ehhh.

Sure, I had some fun with serial links in the past for multiplayer games, but with the widespread use of LAN cards, with increased speed and reliability.... Ehhh. I'm glad serial links are obsolete now. Far too often an hour long game came to a sudden halt when the serial link hiccuped.

But yeah, glad you got your problem sorted.
well, seeing how my dad will never go online to play a game, this will be our only method of getting to play a computer game together on 2 different computers...

that one game where you colonize land (anno 1602? or some year) can play on 2 computers via serial, as well as game-maker games (i'm currently working on a railroad building game) can play on 2 computers via serial...

i have taken a peak and poke at editing some files with the provided tools but apparently i need to read up more on that as i kept getting errors when i tried to save my edits... and i've also peaked into editing dll's but looks like that will require some additional reading as well - although i have programming experience, i've never gotten into c++... i found the page that detailed how to bypass c++ proper and get down to just the compiler, but i've not had to time really get into it yet... i know anything i'd change would most likely just interest myself and my dad, so i'll just read up on the forums and such to figure these things out - as i find the time to do it...

btw, as a side note, i like the layout of outpost enough that i'm using it as a guide for my railroad game layout... a turn-based board game is a much simpler though... outpost with all of it's triggers and such is abit more dynamic - i have a lot of respect and admiration for those of you who've been able to crack into this game and modify it! :)