Author Topic: Windows Vista: Saved Games  (Read 1357 times)

Offline Kamikaze088

Windows Vista: Saved Games
« on: April 06, 2009, 12:20:05 PM »
So I recently discovered that Windows Vista has decided to save my saved games to a folder other than the Outpost 2 directory.

It saves to:
C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Outpost 2 Divided Destiny

Does anyone have any information on this, or how to change it back to saving in the correct directory?

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 01:01:46 AM »
Hmm, I'm going to guess you launched the game from a shortcut, and that shortcut doesn't set the working directory to the same folder as the executable?

I've never heard of this happening before.

Either that, or it's something to do with Vista's file system protection? I think Vista is a little more unix like, in that users don't have write access outside of their home folders unless they are administrators. That might be some sort of backwards compatability hack so that the game still has a place to save it's files, rather than just throwing an error about write protection.

Offline Kamikaze088

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 09:13:47 AM »
No short cuts were used - I even tested launching Op2 directly from the exe. I am also set as the admin so I shouldn't have a problem writing outside any user folder. I just find it odd because it suddenly switched to saving games to this directory. It used to work just fine. Who knows, maybe it is some work around to avoid errors. I am going to try a re-install and see what it does.

Oh how I love Vista. I'm glad this is just my work computer and not the one at home : )