Author Topic: New Outpost 2 Icon  (Read 20657 times)

Offline Leviathan

New Outpost 2 Icon
« on: April 04, 2009, 03:36:42 PM »
Hey, So we are using this Mars picture on the site:

www.outpostuniverse.net

Was thinking we should update the Outpost 2 shortcut Icon for the next release. This is easily done with the installer, done have to edit Exe's icon but can have differnt icon for the shortcut on desktop/start menu :)

The icon currently with Outpost 2 is 32x32. Vista now supports icons of 256x256.

:op2:

I think it would be great to put a space ship similar to the OP2 one on the Mars image so that we have a simialr but updated and biger size icon for OP2 :)

Can someone remove the black and add a space ship please? Thanks

Offline Leviathan

New Outpost 2 Icon
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 03:46:43 PM »
Also there was this one.

But I doubt I have the version of it with no background.

Offline Sirbomber

New Outpost 2 Icon
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 10:23:54 PM »
No.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Leviathan

New Outpost 2 Icon
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 01:17:30 AM »
Why have we done all the work on Oupost 2, countless edits and new content? To improve the game!

Thats what this suggestion is.

Quit with the attitude. Thanks.

Offline Hidiot

New Outpost 2 Icon
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 01:27:33 AM »
Not everyone uses Vista.

And I at least half-agree with Sirbomber.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Sirbomber

New Outpost 2 Icon
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 07:51:46 AM »
Quit with the attitude. Thanks.
Again, no.

If you want a new OP2 icon, make it yourself.  Don't just replace the good one we already have with some generic picture of Mars because you think it "looks cool."
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline WooJoo

New Outpost 2 Icon
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 10:29:52 AM »
ehhh i use XP not becouse i cant get vista just becouse i dont want vista so the point of doing it becouse its possible is not that good

+1 sirbomber

Offline Fenrisul

New Outpost 2 Icon
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 11:50:22 AM »

here ya go.

Offline Leviathan

New Outpost 2 Icon
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 12:56:53 PM »
Thanks Fenrisul, just what I was after. Great work :)

If anyone else has any other designs please post them.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
New Outpost 2 Icon
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 03:24:32 PM »
making maps and fixing bugs is one thing, but changing the icon?  Have you forgotten the phrase "If it isn't broken, don't fix it"?
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Leviathan

New Outpost 2 Icon
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 03:53:39 PM »
Its dated and looks bad when sized up. Not just talking about Vista either (I only have Vista on one of my desktops).

Why not have a better icon?

There are things we have edited before that were not broken but we changed them anyway, to improve the game, to make our version much better than the original.

Offline Ezekel

• http://ezekel.deviantart.com
New Outpost 2 Icon
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 02:02:27 PM »
i dunno how much wait my opinion has around here these days but i'm very against changing the iconic icon of op2.

i mean we all recognise it and know what it is.
My mind is quicker then your eyes!

Never fight what you cannot see!!!

----------------------------------------------

The sleeper has awakened... and boy what a hangover!

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
New Outpost 2 Icon
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 05:19:07 PM »
There is no good reason to change the icon.  It is a reflection of the era at which the game was released.  To update it is to deny its past!
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Drakmar

New Outpost 2 Icon
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2009, 05:29:36 PM »
Well, I like it a lot, and while I've been gone quite some time, I still love OP2. Actually, after working with 3d Studio and GIMP, I've redone it a bit, based off of the one you posted Fenrisul. Since the original icon looked like this:  :op2: , with the blight showing on it, I figured the "new icon" should look something like this:

Offline Spikerocks101

New Outpost 2 Icon
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2009, 07:08:39 PM »
There is the OP2 3D coming out, we can use it there. I like the idea of an icon bigger then 32x32, but the fact is, i have seen the old icon for years, and really don't want to stop seeing it...
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Drakmar

New Outpost 2 Icon
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2009, 07:11:20 PM »
That's cool. I'm pretty good with 3d modeling, let me know if I can be of any help!

I understand the hesitation of replacing the OP2 icon, but I see nothing wrong with changing it. After all, the latest OP2 version is hardly the same OP2 it was when it came out 12 years ago. I think a new icon would be nice.

Maybe instead of replacing the old one, just add in a new one, so everyone has a choice? Seems fair to me. :P

Offline Kayedon

New Outpost 2 Icon
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2009, 07:24:38 PM »
Actually, the current version is essentially the same as it is now. As far as I've read, the outer shell of it all is still the same. We haven't exactly added new campaigns (except the 4 mission buggy Renegade, but I mean a full-length one), new vehicles, new research (really... but yeah).

But I mean hey, if I'm wrong and we've drastically changed anything, please, let me know. I know we've:
Removed Cheats
Still neglected to fix the inconsistencies in the research tree (if anyone wants to know, ask)
Added new ways to multiplay
Removed need for CD
Fixed wreckage bug
Added mods (netfix, etc.)
And the rest of the stuff we can all read in ChangeLog.txt

But really, there hasn't been some HUGE update. Map-making is still too ridiculously difficult without a full recreate of the game (i.e. remake the code and make maps in a different way; not hard-coded) to add another 12-level campaign.

So I say hold off the new image until there's something new and big to put it with. But it IS nice Darkmar; very good skill on your part. Keep in contact with me. ;)

Anyways, again, correct me or question the living Blight out of me if I made a mistake in this, and don't think I'm dissing anyone's work (aka the people who have been behind the updates etc.).
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Offline Drakmar

New Outpost 2 Icon
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2009, 07:31:54 PM »
You have a good point, and I'll do my best to keep in contact! Feel free to PM/IM me anytime!

Even though those are small changes, it's still a fair amount of them. It doesn't matter to me either way, personally I like the idea of a new icon, but I understand that not everyone does. If nothing else, we can just post an .ico version of it for whoever wants it.

Offline Spikerocks101

New Outpost 2 Icon
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2009, 07:35:14 PM »
I know this is not the icon, but I always wanted a new title screen to the game, and some more "Demo" screen on the main menu...
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Kayedon

New Outpost 2 Icon
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2009, 12:49:48 AM »
I try to have good points. Now wait for an old timer to stop by and say I'm an idiot. But yeah, that sounds tangible. Your choice of .ico! :D
Spike: Get to it. Don't ask, do.
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Offline BoNT

New Outpost 2 Icon
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2009, 02:36:24 PM »
Come to think of it, whenever I look at the icon for Outpost2, it kind of reminds me of a strange smiley or face...

Good work Drakmar, It looks awesome. Keep it up.
Keep on keepin' on.

Offline Leviathan

New Outpost 2 Icon
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2009, 04:57:40 PM »
Yes I agree, nice work Drakmar :)

And map-making is not ridiculously difficult, really its not! Once you learn its quite easy, it just takes time. Its really worth learning to do, its very re-warding experience. I wish I had time to create stuff atm but I just dont.

Yea the OP2 icon is part of the past, but updating would be nice, its the same picture just much better! Its not like we want to change it to a different picture eg a Tiger or something.

Anyway glad this thread got some discussion :)

Offline Sirbomber

New Outpost 2 Icon
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2009, 05:01:50 PM »
Way to post the exact same thing twice Lev.

Offline Drakmar

New Outpost 2 Icon
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2009, 06:42:46 PM »
Well thanks! I rather liked it. I'm always up for helping out graphics-wise, so if there is a project that could use a hand, let me know!

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
New Outpost 2 Icon
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2009, 07:36:39 PM »
Hmmm... Drakmar, mind a suggestion? Maybe you should make the blighted area have a purple-colored grid projected on it (like in the cutscene you get for failing an Eden "regular" mission), rather than coloring it purple. The blight doesn't actually have a color. The planet itself should have a more reddish color like in Fenrisul's.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 07:37:24 PM by Arklon »