Author Topic: Status As Of March 2009  (Read 6281 times)

Offline Dragonmystic

Status As Of March 2009
« on: March 26, 2009, 09:03:36 AM »
Just wondering as to the current status of the Renegades project.

Offline Sirbomber

Status As Of March 2009
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 09:05:40 AM »
The Renegades team is pretty much gone.  Eddy-B comes on every once in awhile and says he's going to recruit new people to help him finish it, but...

Anyways, I'm working on a new campaign, so you might want to check that out here.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline xxxxxs

Status As Of March 2009
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 09:07:31 PM »
So, from what I gather, today is December 12. This project is completely dead. Correct or wrong?

Offline Sirbomber

Status As Of March 2009
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 10:06:26 PM »
Uhh, yes?
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline xxxxxs

Status As Of March 2009
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 06:45:30 PM »
What a shame. This was shaping up to be really good.

Oh well. Can't cry over the spilled milk, I guess.

Offline Spikerocks101

Status As Of March 2009
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 08:46:58 PM »
Yes you can. We have been crying about all the good milk which is OP2 being spilled since 97.
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline xxxxxs

Status As Of March 2009
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 10:52:04 AM »
Yeah, sure. We've been crying. And not doing much else but to hold a little group of people who still hold some love for the game.

I'm sorry, even though I know there's nothing any of us can do, crying won't get us anywere.

Offline Zardox Xheonov

Status As Of March 2009
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 07:31:24 PM »
agreed.
"actions speak louder than words"
Hit me up on discord, if I am online, you know I'll be gaming.

(Lord Of Pain is no more, I am currently now "Zardox" and have been for awhile on other platforms.)

Offline Eddy-B

• http://www.eddy-b.com
Status As Of March 2009
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 04:44:12 PM »
"dead" is such a strong word.
I'd call it "coma" for now :P

I just haven't had much time to code anymore, and it is hard to find people that want to help out in areas that i'm not too good at (like graphics).

I've still got ideas for a few more missions, but those will need a lot of graphics to be done, as i want them to be even better than the existing 4 missions. On top of that i need to do some serious OP2-hacking and i'ts been a few years since i coded Renegades so i guess it's 'back to school' for mee too...
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 04:44:42 PM by Eddy-B »
Rule #1:  Eddy is always right
Rule #2: If you think he's wrong, see rule #1
--------------------

Outpost : Renegades - Eddy-B.com - Electronics Pit[/siz

Offline xxxxxs

Status As Of March 2009
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 02:30:21 AM »
You know, I don't mean to de-moralize you or anything, but setting a goal that you can't accomplish (a.k.a I want to make pretty missions but I can't mess with those bloddy graphics) is rather stupid. That's like saying to yourself, "I'm gonna run 10 miles today!" but then cutting off your own legs.

I also don't mean to jump in your project, but I suggest you work with what you can do and what you have while someone shows up. As far as my knowlege goes, you're an exellent coder, and the first 4 renegade missions really show that. Heck, I STILL have a serious problem with the lava on the third mission, and I never mananged to get past the fourth one.

Don't take the wrong impression, though. I really want to see some inovative sprites/graphics/content here, but as far as this goes, the project won't go anywere if you keep those same thoughts on your head.

I mean no offense here. You can just ignore everything I said. That works too.

Offline Eddy-B

Status As Of March 2009
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 04:25:21 PM »
Well said.
Only one remark, to the first paragraph:  i cannot do graphics (very well). I tried once or twice, and the result isn't good enough to impress a 5 year old.

The coding yes (be it a little buggy at times), but graphics: forget it!

So if anyone's still up to the challange, send me a note (pm, e-mail).
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 04:25:53 PM by Eddy-B »
--------------------

Offline xxxxxs

Status As Of March 2009
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 02:35:00 AM »
Meh, whatever. The main problem with people around here is that they want to start these HUGE new projects like OP3 or Outpost 3D or even new outposts entirely from scratch, and then realize the magnitude of the project and give up. They're completely ignoring the fact that they have a lot to work with the original OP2, and they have a really sturdy editor to do so. The novellas are piling up in the novella section and making maps and coding simple missions isn't that hard. In a week, people could make a whole new campaign if they wanted to. It's not about innovation at this point, it's the fact that OP2 is really fun and at least I still have a great time playing it sometimes.

If you really want to edit those graphics that bad, I suggest you expand your views a little. Go look for people talented on those things in other forums. The gamemaker community makes games from scratch by adding and replacing sprites and graphics from the game. They're also really good coders, if you want some help to make progress go faster. Of course, there's no gaurantee you'll be helped. This isn't gamemaker you're using after all.

Overall, I can do nothing but to offer advice, so if I'm being insensitive or bossy I apologise. I just wanted to come back to those old good times where I would play games with Sirbomber and Arklon and hamachi would crash on me. I want to go back to IRC and bugger Eddy about renegades and he would give me the same reply over and over again. I want to play random matches again with people who think they're not good at OP2. *intense flashback section*

But whatever. This is now but a distant memory. *backs away to his dark corner*
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 02:36:42 AM by xxxxxs »

Offline Sirbomber

Status As Of March 2009
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 09:10:49 AM »
In a week, people could make a whole new campaign if they wanted to.
Excuse me, what?

Do you really have any idea what you're talking about?  Do you really think things are that easy?  Campaigns aren't some 4-minute hack job; especially not when you want to put this thing called effort into them.  It takes a long time and a lot of effort to make quality maps and enjoyable missions.  ALL of this is usually done by one person, who isn't paid to do it and has other things to do.

So until you've made your own campaign in a week, maybe you should cut people some slack.

Offline Eddy-B

Status As Of March 2009
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 11:03:12 AM »
It seems to me xxxxxxxxxs is going to have to hold up to his word, and has to start making a new campaign this week, so we can all play it next week :P

It's either that, or he should shut the f.... well you know what i mean!

A campaign is NOT, as xxxxs thinks, just a bunch of maps & some code packed together; it has a story to tell, specific objectives to complete and -most importantly- a good AI, which takes a LOT of decent coding and testing to get it just right.

So, if you are challanging me and others that have built custom games (complete or otherwise) you better make good on your words!
We're expecting a brand new campaign from you; no later then februari first 2010. All in favor?

Also added: a poll about the current projects
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 11:11:29 AM by Eddy-B »
--------------------

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Status As Of March 2009
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 11:17:13 AM »
Overall, I can do nothing but to offer advice, so if I'm being insensitive or bossy I apologise.
Guess neither of you will see him do any coding.

I can understand people taking offense at having their amount of work discredited, but the guy does actually have a point..
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Status As Of March 2009
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2010, 02:42:30 PM »
Perhaps he does, but I'd have to agree that a campaign can't be thrown together in a week. Maybe one multiplayer mission per day, that doesn't include AI, if you're only making the DLL, and not the map along with it. Trying to make a campaign that's fun though will require an AI opponent, and those are still quite difficult to build. This isn't Starcraft where you just give it a starting point and say go. You're actually responsible for controlling an awful lot of what the AI needs to do.

I do rather like the point of spending more time on Outpost 2, as opposed to ambitious Outpost 3 projects. I'm not too against the thought of an Outpost 2 remake, where the same graphics, sounds, and novellas can be used, and possibly levels too, but that is still a very big project and I'd have doubts about the success of something that big. Heck, even a new campaign for Outpost 2 seems like a daunting task. But yes, it'd be nice if there were more Outpost 2 level projects. We're probably going to need more tutorials on AI related topics though, as that seems to be the biggest area of concern for new quality single player missions.