Author Topic: Multitek2 On Hold  (Read 6484 times)

Offline Sirbomber

Multitek2 On Hold
« on: December 06, 2008, 09:58:34 PM »
For those unaware, Hooman has discovered a really nasty OP2 bug that is ruining MT2, so I'm going to have to postpone further development until I rework the techtree.  Not that I've been making and levels lately; I've been really busy...

Anyways, I guess I could come up with an ownage catchphrase, like "Outbugged, but never outgunned!" but that wouldn't make any sense.

Alternatively, you could all yell at Hooman until he feels bad and makes a patch that fixes the bug of suckage techtree doom, but that'd be unfair to Hooman.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Spikerocks101

Multitek2 On Hold
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 01:39:45 AM »
he should have a cup of coffee, go on the irc, and wait, and talk to Zigzagjoe, and by 5 oclock the next day, op2 will have 3d graphics and beter sounds...

and the bug will be fixed to :P
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Multitek2 On Hold
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 03:08:18 AM »
or, he can work on the tile auto-placer and get hacker to work on the mapper again...
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Hidiot

Multitek2 On Hold
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 04:19:38 AM »
We need another Hooman or two.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Sirbomber

Multitek2 On Hold
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 08:52:30 PM »
Hooman, are you absolutely sure it's two techs and not three?  I've been able to get away with 3 techs in the past, but admittedly it could have just been nobody noticing the adverse effects.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline zigzagjoe

Multitek2 On Hold
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 12:52:09 AM »
nvm. did not understand the question
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 01:34:57 AM by zigzagjoe »

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Multitek2 On Hold
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 01:41:02 AM »
I think that misses the problem totally.

You can't have more than 2 independent techs upgrade the same unit. Which means no 3 stage upgrades for agridomes, or whatever.

I suppose I can suggest manipulating the tech and unit info yourself. Perhaps use some custom code in the levels with the custom tech tree. That could allow you to side step some of the limitations. Basically, give the result of the techs in Research Trigger callbacks. Or maybe even just fix up the unit info tables in the callback. You could make it think only one tech has upgraded that unit so there is always room for more. Of course the problem with this approach is you need to add code along with using the tech tree for it to work.

I'm pretty sure there are only 2 upgrade slots. Would you like a detailed proof?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 01:45:13 AM by Hooman »

Offline Sirbomber

Multitek2 On Hold
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 07:46:43 AM »
Nah, if you're really that confident I'll take your word for it.

Anyways, I've made a fancy Excel spreadsheet to determine which units have too many upgrades.  Prepare to be bombarded by a series of polls asking which techs should be deleted.

Edit: Pollllllllllls!!!!
University Poll
Agridome Poll
Med Center Poll
RPG Poll

Thanks for the input!

Edit 2: Fixing this is easier than I thought!  The only hard part is when I don't want to get rid of some upgrades!  Which is what polls are for.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 04:10:58 PM by Sirbomber »

Offline Sonnebahn

Multitek2 On Hold
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 03:57:14 PM »
You could make the tech's a multistage set of techs before it actually upgrades the unit, Though I agree that it would be nice to have lots of slow upgrades to each unit.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Multitek2 On Hold
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 04:28:25 PM »
I was kind of thinking that too. Sort of like:

Research: "Research to upgrade X"
Result: "Our efforts to upgrade X have failed due to some problems with Y. We will need further research to fix the problem with Y."

Research: "Research problems with Y"
Result: "Our efforts have led to an upgrade of X, and some additional small improvements in Y."

Offline Sirbomber

Multitek2 On Hold
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 05:03:51 PM »
So you mean I should blatantly lie to the player?

Irrelevant now anyways, since I've already fixed all but two problems.

Offline Eddy-B

• http://www.eddy-b.com
Multitek2 On Hold
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2008, 05:23:59 AM »
Hooman's suggestion is not a lie, it even shows a more realistic design/research path
Rule #1:  Eddy is always right
Rule #2: If you think he's wrong, see rule #1
--------------------

Outpost : Renegades - Eddy-B.com - Electronics Pit[/siz

Offline Sirbomber

Multitek2 On Hold
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 01:43:58 PM »
I used the last of my laptop battery power finishing this techtree over the seven-day period of powerlessness I experienced.  I hope that makes you all happy; knowing that I could have played OP2 but instead decided to do something for all of you.

Anyways, since I had no access to the latest poll results I just said, "It's my techtree, I haven't showered or flushed a toilet in a week, and as such I really don't care what anyone else has to say about it anymore!" (or something like that).

Now, I will enjoy electricity and upload techtrees later.