Author Topic: Op2 Dead Links  (Read 7610 times)

Offline kc8oye

Op2 Dead Links
« on: September 01, 2008, 02:13:03 PM »
on the op2 page... the link to MAPS and Coding geneate this error:

Not Found
The requested URL /maps.php was not found on this server

Offline gpgarrettboast

• Administrator
Op2 Dead Links
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 02:04:08 PM »
Thanks for the bug report. You may want to PM it to an Admin (Blackbox or Galactic77 ) so that it can be resolved (:

Offline neutrino

Op2 Dead Links
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 09:53:19 PM »
on the op2 page... the link to MAPS and Coding geneate this error:

Not Found
The requested URL /maps.php was not found on this server
Hi,

This is just to point out that the links on the website HAVE NOT been repaired. I am training a friend of mine to Outpost 2 but I can't get him the full tech tree since it is not available.

BROKEN links on http://www.outpostuniverse.net/outpost2.php :

http://www.outpostuniverse.net/edenfulltechtree.php
http://www.outpostuniverse.net/plymouthfulltechtree.php
http://www.outpostuniverse.net/edenweaponreference.php
http://www.outpostuniverse.net/plymouthweaponreference.php
http://www.outpostuniverse.net/edenstructurereference.php
http://www.outpostuniverse.net/plymouthstr...rereference.php
http://www.outpostuniverse.net/novella.php
http://www.outpostuniverse.net/maps.php
http://www.outpostuniverse.net/coding.php

I hope someone in charge of maintaining the website will see my post and take actions so newbies can get information about the Outpost game.

Thanks,

neutrino

Offline Spikerocks101

Op2 Dead Links
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 11:36:13 PM »
People are busy (Outpost translation of lazy) and don't get around to it >_> plus, Blackbox (sever head) has been MIA for ever...
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline zigzagjoe

Op2 Dead Links
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 11:38:49 PM »
the logs, they show nothing!

Offline neutrino

Op2 Dead Links
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 07:26:27 AM »
If you grant me access to the webserver I commit the engagement to fix broken links on the website. I am competent for that. I have no intent to modify the graphics and visual layout. I just want to make the content "hiddend" or "lost" in the website folders available to people who join the webpage witht the intention of discovering OP2 and the work that has been done by the community.

neutrino
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 07:30:03 AM by neutrino »

Offline Sirbomber

Op2 Dead Links
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 12:11:48 PM »
Anything those links lead to are horribly outdated, anyways.  They should be removed or should link to a new sub-forum where people can upload various stuff.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Leviathan

Op2 Dead Links
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 03:25:10 PM »
It is not good that the site has not been fixed. I am not happy with the current site at all.

Offline fallenangel

Op2 Dead Links
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 10:38:45 AM »
Hey guys, can you fix the captcha picture file so new people can register? it apparently doesn't work and a buddy of mine wants to join the clan :) thank you so much!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 10:39:09 AM by fallenangel »
Pitiful mortals...your hope ends here. ...And your meaningless existence with it!

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Op2 Dead Links
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 07:04:14 PM »
Fixed. (Sort of, kind of)

Thanks to gpgarretboast for telling me the key to get it working. Although, I fear we may suffer a new influx of spambots, so moderators beware.

Offline Sirbomber

Op2 Dead Links
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 08:37:03 PM »
And immediately after you said that we get one.

I believe I speak for us all when I say: BLARARARARUGHUGH
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline fallenangel

Op2 Dead Links
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 10:19:14 PM »
Thank you so much Hooman :) i really appreciate it. and sirbomber you crack me up :)
Pitiful mortals...your hope ends here. ...And your meaningless existence with it!

Offline Sirbomber

Op2 Dead Links
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 07:52:23 AM »
Thank you so much Hooman :) i really appreciate it. and sirbomber you crack me up :)
Oh, good.  I'm so glad you think our forum being quite literally invaded by spambots to be amusing.

Offline fallenangel

Op2 Dead Links
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 04:21:33 PM »
Um... sorry?? A friend of mine wanted to join... it's not my fault that people decide to spam on this forum or is it? :huh:  

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Op2 Dead Links
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 10:19:37 PM »
I admit it is rather tempting to leave the signup broken for that very reason, but a broken signup will probably do more harm in the long run than spambots. Still, perhaps something can be done about it....

Edit:
On second thought, after examining the volume of spam, I've decided to break the signup process again. I'd like to find a way to combat bots before enabling it. If someone you know wants to register meanwhile, maybe get in touch with me about the details, and I can look into pre-registering them.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 10:44:16 PM by Hooman »

Offline fallenangel

Op2 Dead Links
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2009, 09:11:33 AM »
Alright Thanks Hooman.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Op2 Dead Links
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2009, 12:03:35 AM »
Well, I understand the registration code a bit better now, but still haven't fixed the problem. It seems a lot of other people have gotten similar error messages with other software, but haven't generally found a fix. From what I can tell, it seems to be a font library issue.

Offline Sirbomber

Op2 Dead Links
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2009, 07:35:46 AM »
Use the Mr. Saturn font from Earthbound:

I'd like to see a bot try and read that!

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Op2 Dead Links
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2009, 07:24:40 PM »
Lol!

I thought that was Japanese or something at first.

Well, if you can get me the font files.... :P

Offline Sirbomber

Op2 Dead Links
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2009, 09:15:46 PM »
It's in the file forum.

Offline gpgarrettboast

• Administrator
Op2 Dead Links
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2009, 10:39:16 PM »
There's probably a ReCaptcha plugin that would be able to be implemented fairly easily.. I'm unsure what version of IPB we run though.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Op2 Dead Links
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2009, 01:00:26 AM »
I'm taking issue to how some of the reg code was written actually. Even if we get nice fancy fonts working, with zigzagged lines, the registration code itself isn't generated in a cryptographically secure way. That means an attacker could guess it reasonably quickly without actually needing to do any OCR.

I guess that could explain part of the spam problem we had before. Either that or decent OCR software.

Still though, I have to figure out what appears to be a free type library problem, and it's not exactly easy to find time for this sort of thing right now.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Op2 Dead Links
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2009, 12:25:59 AM »
Update:
I've played around on a home server and got image generation working there. I was all set and eager to install/update things on the server after this, only to realize I didn't have sufficient permission. I've sent a number of emails, PMs, IMs, and the like to both Galactic and BlackBox about the registration issue, but I haven't heard back from either. Seeing as how it's probably been about a month, I figure it's time to start looking at alternatives.

I have recently setup a clone of the forum and database on a private server on my LAN, so I can test new code without messing up the forum or it's database. It sort of almost works, but I'm going to have to play with a few paths still. The question then becomes, what exactly am I going to try and change, and how should it be changed? Keep in mind, I won't be able to change the web server config, and will need to work within the confines of what can be done with the current PHP install.

So far, I'm thinking maybe text based anti-spam protection, like "what is the 3rd word of the 2nd paragraph of the Terms of Service?" Or perhaps questions about the game? Maybe a combination of questions. If you have ideas, please post them.

Offline AmIMeYet

Op2 Dead Links
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2009, 01:26:40 PM »
In my opinion, "what is the 3rd word of the 2nd paragraph of the Terms of Service?" would be too easy. Just questions aobut the game should do it I reckon.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Op2 Dead Links
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2009, 09:35:28 PM »
The point is to stop bots, not to be hard questions. I doubt most bots would know how to parse and understand the example I gave. Questions about the game are probably fine, but there are occasionally people that sign up here due to word of mouth, and haven't actually played the game yet. If we use game questions, they should be easy.

The point is, these questions should be easy for a person to understand and reply to, but not easy for a bot to correctly respond to. I'd also like to keep things all on the same page if possible. I'm not totally against asking about something on a linked to page, but I'd rather not trouble people with clicking through links or reading hoards of text just to answer a simple security question. Something that requires understanding the semantic meaning of text or an image is usually good. Evaluating a mathematical expression, or something that follows rigorous rules is probably bad. Something with a large possible answer space (a string of arbitrary length) yet which is still obvious is good, while a small answer space is bad. Multiple choice questions are particlarly bad (a bot could just guess, and get the answer with reasonable probability). Asking someone to identify a unit from an image is also not so great, as there are a relatively small number of units (but at least it would require domain specific knowledge, so they'd have to target us specifically). For text questions, it would also be good if the question changed slightly each time, so they couldn't just store known (question, answer) pairs. The random lines in security images basically do that, along with the size of the image. For actualy text you might need to get more creative, although, something simple should keep them away for a little while.

I'd like to keep things simple for now, such as choosing a random word from a somewhat large body of text. The terms of service seems like a good candidate for that. (Plus, it ensures they've at least read some of it). Still though, if you have better ideas, please post something specific. Actual questions would be nice, like: "What does an argridome produce that keeps your population from starving?".