Author Topic: When do you think the world will end?  (Read 12319 times)

Offline Ex Death

When do you think the world will end?
« on: October 16, 2003, 07:09:37 PM »
This is a little question i asked the gamefaqs board where was before i came here.

What i think is 6/6/06

Look how the date matches up with the "sign" or mark of the beast.

when do you think it is?

Screw life, Screw friends
Into darkness, i decend

Into darkness, i decend
We all begin, Fate and destiny
intertwined then unwoven to
Reveal a picture that is our lives.

Copyright John sisk 2003

xfir

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2003, 07:36:27 PM »
Well.. I'm not too sure...

Take for instance, this year 2003.

Okay, first of all, you've all heard of 1337, right? It's a language that people with toom much time on their hands made.

Anyway, take that number, and add it to 666 (As Ex Death pointed out, the "sign" of the "beast").

Guess what you get? 2003!

666 + 1337 = 2003

What does this mean? Who knows?

But it is still [OT]

Anyway, my opinion of when the world will end is, well, the end.

I've read some of the headlines on the tabloids.. they all say this year is the end, and that November will be the Judgement day...

Then again, I'm not to high on the religion side, as I am an "Other." I do not actaully have a religion. I can't comprehend a force greater that one that doesn't have shape, form, or even matter. I more or less believe in the realm of science..

That brings me to my idea of the end date:

I will go as far to say that it will be with the awakening of the conscience thought of Artificial Intelligence that can actually produce humanoid independent thoughts...

Or a meteor, as we tend to fail to keep our eyes on the sky...

So, roughly around 4-15-2398 or something similiar.

Offline Zircon

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2003, 01:34:32 AM »
*spooky voice* The WoRlD will in end in a ball of fire !!!!
Elementarily mr Watson the Andromeda galaxy will eventually merge with the milky way, The currents inside will destroy and merge everything...

But Earth will be long gone before that because our sun, SOL...
Will start to expand in some time (quite a large amount) and eventually it will swallow Earth...

The Sun will then contract but as its mass isnt enough to create a black hole it will simply die...

But before the sun starts starts to grow (as in rapid growth) the temperature will increase roasting everything and everyone on the planet... Sun factor 99999999 wont help here people... :whistle:

But even before that maybe the Earth is hit by large asteroids, or maybe some alien race decides to enslave us all... :heh:

Maybe we destroy our own world... Pollution, War, Scientific accident its to early to say...

I tend to believe though that in time people take the way to the stars :op2:

The idea that an angel would come down from the skies and slay all believers and then leave the non-believers to watch the end of the world is something i find preposterous...  :heh:

xfirs idea was quite interesting, why would humanity be destroyed by that discovery though ? Maybe humanity was forced to leave the planet but as our bodies isnt built for space we sent our seeds, our messengers carrying human thought through space... (advanced computers)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2003, 10:33:26 AM by Zircon »

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2003, 05:43:54 AM »
Zircon has already said, when the earth will die.

But humanity will die before. It depends on how we use our primary energy sources. 2050 there won't be oil and coal anymore and if scientists don't make a breakthrough at cold fusion or find another big energy source, it will be the end of most life on earth (I doubt, we manage to escape from this planet in this time).

Offline gpgarrettboast

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2003, 07:25:40 AM »
I think the world will end when I die, for OP3 will probably discontinued unless other people write a sequel.  J/k  I think it will end when ... Hmm... I don't no.

Offline Zircon

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2003, 10:29:14 AM »
Humanity die in 2050... bah...
Surely the end of oil will bring a shock to the world of economics but not the end of humanity...
And new figures show that we could be out of oil in 25 years...

Over here we get about 25 percent of our power from windtraps (hmm) and hydroelectric powerplants... (hmm i dont know the correct words)

And recently a new kind of powerplant was revealed, running 24 hours a day using the tidal waves, up & down... up & down....  (thumbsup) It can only be used in some places though... But the output was high which is good...

And gasoline/petrol wont be a problem either as we already have prototype stations making charged water (energycells, charged hydrogen) by the pure power of sunlight... Quite explosive though if used without caution...
And those cars work  :) And have a much better use percentage then oil products...

I see the end of oil as a revolution to a cleaner world...

hmm, a technokraze society would be fun :op2:
« Last Edit: October 17, 2003, 03:09:02 PM by Zircon »

Offline TH300

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2003, 11:19:10 AM »
I hope, these tecnologies will spread quickly. In germany the government prefers coal-power instead of nuclear power. Nuclear power isn't good, but coal pollutes the environment and nuclear power lasts longer. We have wind, aqua and solar power, too, but far too less to offer sufficient supply in the next decades.

At least you're right. This wouldn't be the end of humanity.

Offline Ex Death

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2003, 02:19:35 PM »
Zercon your looking for the work Hydroelectric power... i think... dam's in other words.

these are some good points too, my theroy is mainly baised on one religon though
I remember a while a go that there is a asteroid or metior heading our was on a collison corse with earth,  that sounds so familier >_>  :op2: <_<
Into darkness, i decend

Into darkness, i decend

Copyright John sisk 2003

Offline Zircon

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2003, 03:12:51 PM »
Ah, Thanks  :heh:
Haleys comet could theoreticly get caught by our gravitational force in the future...

Offline Ex Death

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2003, 03:20:59 PM »
I Don't think it was haily's comet they were talking about...

But i remember them talking about something heading right for us.
Into darkness, i decend

Into darkness, i decend

Copyright John sisk 2003

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2003, 04:02:17 PM »
OK.... My *real* idea of when the world will end is based on my belief in Christianity.

I don't really know, it could happen tomorrow, it could happen anytime.....
However our beliefs state that "tribulation" (that is, problems and calamity) will increase as the world nears end... Is that the case? I don't know.

If I had to use a 'science' oriented belief then it would be considering now the sun has 98% of its fuel left, it will burn out in about 20 billion years... end of the world.

xfir

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2003, 07:49:11 PM »
xfirs idea was quite interesting, why would humanity be destroyed by that discovery though ? Maybe humanity was forced to leave the planet but as our bodies isnt built for space we sent our seeds, our messengers carrying human thought through space... (advanced computers)
Let me state it this way: the main cause of wars is the fact that no two people think alike. While this is a good thing (I can just see myself a billion times doing the same exact thing) it also leads to people disliking others.

Now, say we do develop true AI.. what does that bring us? Well, would we have to pay them? Technically, we wouldn't but a true intelligence would want something in return for it's work. As we all know, as time progresses, they want more and more...

So in event, we would be creating another culture.. in fact, we are eliminating all human work, and replacing it with efficient machinery.. well, the common man doesn't like his job taken away. Because, without an income, how is he to live?

Then it breaks down: man versus a now intelligent machine capable of perfection in everything. All I can see now is the Matrix scenario.

As for the sun expanding/running out of fuel, that will eventaully happen, but not for another million/billion years.

It may be that technology will be the end of us.. man will marvel at his creation, then scream and run when it attacks him.

I wouldn't be too worried about pollution and stuff like that as long as there are still food production. Which brings me to another point: what about overpopulation?

With the advent of new medical technology (this occurs a lot), we see the death rate decrease.. well, weren't diseases and viruses created to control the population? If everyone lived forever, we wouldn't have enough room.. although it may sound negative, inhumane, or possibly self-centered, the idea that viruses were created to limit population is true. Death is a control mechanism, whether you like it or not.

Why do we find new diseases and extort them (see: Media about the entire SARS thing)? Well, generally because we are destroying the enviroment that held them.. then carelessly spreading them throught the world.. Maybe there is a message here: Control yourselves... there's too many.

That sounded harsh, and I know it. I am not one to encourage death in any matter. This is a debate though..

Opinion on this post: EOW (End of World) will occur on one of the following:

1. Betaray does indeed take over the world.  :Betaray:

2. Meteor hit

3. Advent of A.I.

4. Overpopulation leads to lack of food globally due to lack of space to grow it

5. The Last World War, and it's use of nuclear, chemical, and virus technology (or organics)

Offline it2000us

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2003, 09:32:09 PM »
The world will not die because the world is a planet and it will keep on living until something destroyes it. But i deffinetly know that we will end alot sooner then the world will. Eather we will kill each other in wars and exterminate our selves or we'll will be killed by another civilization that thinks we are obsolete(Survival of the fitest).

Offline Ex Death

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2003, 02:58:37 AM »
Overpoppulation wont happen for a while...
the earth has 4 or 5 Billion people   the Carring cappacity is 50 billion
It took us this long to get too 5 billion, the larger contries are "trying" to curb the
Birth rates, because of overpopulation, they are coming up with new ways to effectivly Populate area's going up instead of around,Heck in a about 20 years as fast we are going, we will be able to Build "BioDomes" for people can survive in the most inhosptible area's (Space and the Sea).

Don't ask me How i thought of that. Oh yea, Enviromental Science  :heh:  
Into darkness, i decend

Into darkness, i decend

Copyright John sisk 2003

Offline Zircon

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2003, 05:37:42 AM »
xfir: Why do we find new diseases and extort them (see: Media about the entire SARS thing)? Well, generally because we are destroying the enviroment that held them.. then carelessly spreading them throught the world.. Maybe there is a message here: Control yourselves... there's too many.

Zircon: *spooky music* Blue Gender...  :whistle:  :heh:

I would gladly be granted immortality, in return i would never have any kids...
Overpopulation cured... hmm, thats what happened in Vandread kinda...

A scenario painted in school: Europe becomes a superstate of rich countries leaving others outside closing their borders... All traffic in and out ceases...

War rages and results in a future where the earth has become a barren wasteland with two-three superpowers while lush on the inside but dead on the outside...

xfir: Then it breaks down: man versus a now intelligent machine capable of perfection in everything. All I can see now is the Matrix scenario.

Zircon: An AI capable of perfection shouldnt exist, For it to be a true AI it needs to have human faults  :P
Or we make sentient AIs with core ethical routines...
Whats that guys name who made those three rules...
Never to hurt a human being etc etc... Not that i agree with those three but some kind of failsafe is needed...
As humans have the government to see too that we abide the rules...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2003, 05:49:34 AM by Zircon »

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2003, 09:33:15 AM »
There is a poem from the year 1488 by a Janet Ursula Southiel that says:

Carriages withou horses shal go,
and accidents fill the world with woe.
Around the Earth thoughts shall fly,
in the twinkleing of an eye;
The world upside down shall be
and gold found at the root of a tree.
Through the hills man shall ride,
and no horse shall be at his side.
Underwater man shall walk, shall ride, shall sleep, shall even talk.
In the air men shall be seen,
in whitw, in black, in green;
Iron in the water shall float,
As easily as a wooden boat.
To an end the world shall come,
in the year two thousand and sixty-one.

As you can read, the automobile, radio, submarine, traon, aeroplane, and steam ship are predicted.  Seeing as she got those right, isn't the last part disturbing?

BTW, she was also known as the "Yorkshire Witch," and Mother Shipton when she got older
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline TH300

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2003, 04:55:28 PM »
xfir:
Opinion on this post: EOW (End of World) will occur on one of the following:

1. Betaray does indeed take over the world. 

2. Meteor hit

3. Advent of A.I.

4. Overpopulation leads to lack of food globally due to lack of space to grow it

5. The Last World War, and it's use of nuclear, chemical, and virus technology (or organics)
2 and 5 are the only real threats. (1st won't become true)

The Matrix-scenario is not likely to happen. No species (machins included) would terminate another one if not necessary and if it's intelligence is high enough. Peace is the most productive way of life and an AI might know that.

And, well, overpopulation will not wipe out the human race. People will die, but only these which are too much.
btw: would anyone like a world with 50 Billions of humans...
That makes me think of another scenario: What about ozone holes, a new glacial period (remember, they occur every 50.000 years) or what about the deforestation in the rainforests which are valid for CO2 -> O2 conversion.

Offline OP2Patriot

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2003, 09:38:08 PM »
Well, about Betaray taking over the world, I am working with him to make sure when he does do it, he does not go genocidal.

The Forbidden Outpost 2 Forum ... they don't want you to know about it.
Yell if the above link disappears.

Offline Jake

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2003, 09:52:43 PM »
That's freaky CK9  :unsure:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2003, 09:52:59 PM by Jake »

Offline CK9

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2003, 09:52:56 PM »
Don't you find the prediction a little disturbing?
CK9 in outpost
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...

Offline Jake

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2003, 09:57:49 PM »
I find it disturbing we posted at the same exact minute  :P  

Offline Zircon

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2003, 01:36:06 AM »
About the witch, From one perspective you can say that they dreamed back then too...
People back then could probably dream as we can, through time man has dreamt of the skies occupied by birds, airplanes.
And a carriage without a horse needing daily attention wouldn't be very hard to dream of either.
And thoughts around the world... Messengers as slow as they were, dreaming of high speed messengers wouldn't be too hard either....

Maybe she was on drugs :heh:

On another perspective, yes its strangely accurate...  :blink:

Year 2061 what possible threats do we have... hmmm...

1: Meteor/Asteroid...
2: Aliens :heh:
3: Human war...
4: The discovery of a deadly viral agent hidden deep in the rocks...
5: :find:  :whistle:  :heh:  :ph34r:
« Last Edit: October 20, 2003, 01:36:50 AM by Zircon »

Offline CK9

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2003, 09:02:11 AM »
#5 is Betaray taking over :yawn:  
CK9 in outpost

Offline plymoth45

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2003, 09:27:58 AM »
yea thats about wht it looks like to me. Beta,  when u take over the world, don't enslave us all. And that prediction u posted earlier ck9 is very freaky. :huh:  

Offline OP2Patriot

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2003, 11:01:24 AM »
Actually, I working on keeping Betaray from enslaving humanity also.

The Forbidden Outpost 2 Forum ... they don't want you to know about it.
Yell if the above link disappears.