Author Topic: Usb Mem Stick Possibly Fried?  (Read 3279 times)

Offline Ice Blade2097

Usb Mem Stick Possibly Fried?
« on: July 08, 2008, 09:18:14 PM »
I was trying to get my front usb ports to work.  Plug in the cables put in my mem stick to test.  Says there is a malfunction with the usb device.  So I try my joystick to see if it has the same error, it does.  I flip the cable around so the lable is now pointing out of the case and plug in the joystick again.  Computer says hardwar installed and ready to use.  I plug in my usb mem stick.  It no work, Windows doesn't even see its there.  I put the mem stick into my lap top still doesn't see it there.  Is there a way to test if my mem stick is permently dead?

Offline Mez

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 02:56:04 AM »
Hey, well you had a backup of everything on it didn't you?!

They are so cheap that you might as well throw it away and buy a new one.

Unless of course it is one of those very expensive high-capacity  branded ones, in which case it will be covered under warranty, try looking on the manufacturers website for any tools or firmware upgrades.

Offline Ice Blade2097

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 12:32:34 PM »
Unfortunatly The only back up I have is over six months old :(.  It was expesnive at the time when I got it.  It just an verbatum 1GB stick.  But would was hoping somone on here knew of  a way to try to pull the dta off of it or somthing so its not a total wash.

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 01:16:09 PM »
This is why I only use those types of things to move files from one place to another.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 06:05:08 PM »
Have you tried it in a different machine? (Maybe one with USB 1.1 only.. the host interface is different (no EHCI for USB < 2.0) so it might work differently there. Of course the data transfer will be slow but that's probably not a huge concern if you are trying to retrieve the data).

Try unplugging everything else when you are doing it. Maybe there isn't enough power to support all the devices + the flash drive.

If that doesn't work, there's probably some kind of hardware damage, which could be due to various reasons, here are a few I can think of:

- broken USB plug (old drive = plugging it in and out a lot = stress on the connector)

- cold joint on the circuitboard inside (same reason, stress causes the solder points to stress and possibly crack, if components are coming loose from the board inside it's likely they aren't working. You could open the drive and touch some of these points to remelt and reconnect them, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you have the soldering skills / eyesight / patience to do soldering on tiny devices like these)

- burnt out / faulty components to start (not much you can do about this, except maybe "transplant" the flash chip into another similar / identical flash drive and see if you can get it to work... this is a gamble, but if the data is really important, it might be worth a try)

- etc.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 06:05:36 PM by BlackBox »

Offline Ice Blade2097

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 01:23:16 AM »
The USB drived worked fine in my desktop and laptop till I messed with the front USB wires trying to get them to work.  I did smell a slightly heavy silicon smell off the usb drive after it didn't work anymore.  As for poping it open not really possible its one molded plastic piece.

Offline Hidiot

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 08:32:39 AM »
I did smell a slightly heavy silicon smell off the usb drive after it didn't work anymore.
Now that's a good indicator.

Even if it's molded plastic, you should be able to cut it open... carefully, as to not damage it more than it is.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 04:03:41 PM »
... or your fingers. I had a slight accident with a knife once, and now my index finger has an extra 30 degree range of motion. Backwards.

Offline Hidiot

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 04:19:17 PM »
That's quite an accident.

Offline Ice Blade2097

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 02:35:23 PM »
Hmm not sure what I could use to cut it open with as its pretty thick plastic they used.  Though I am scared to ask what you did to your finger to allow it more range of movement.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 07:05:27 PM »
Slipped cutting cardboard with an exacto-knife. I wasn't holding the cardboard right, and both hands slipped at the same time. I got my finger right on the joint (which now has the extra range of motion). The scar lines up perfectly with the crease in the skin too. It cut right to the bone. It was sort of weird how it didn't start bleeding for a few seconds. I thought I'd missed at first until I saw the gap in the skin.

What about stickers? Are there any stickers covering screw holes?

Offline Ice Blade2097

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 10:27:13 AM »
Umm..... its an USB memory stick.  Like the little one gigabyte flash drives you stick in your usb ports to carry around with you.  I wasn't aware those things ever had screws in them?

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 02:27:04 PM »
Well I don't really have a memory stick. I just have a card reader and a few SD cards. I sometimes use them like a memory stick, even though the stuff was originally for my camera. But, the card reader does have some sort of adhesive label on it, and you can just slightly detect screw holes underneath it.

Offline Hidiot

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 03:52:27 PM »
I've got a memory stick and can confirm the lack of screws.

Offline Ice Blade2097

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2008, 09:26:35 PM »
Maybe Ill get lucky and by some flook when I get home it will work again?