Author Topic: New Irc Rule Proposal  (Read 12452 times)

Offline Sirbomber

New Irc Rule Proposal
« on: June 27, 2008, 11:22:57 PM »
(23:17:49)      —› join: (Jb^SLAN) (~jb@opu-7ACFB5E3.event-dsl.multiplay.co.uk)
(23:17:51) (Jb^SLAN) [link removed]
(23:17:53) (Jb^SLAN) do it
(23:17:56) (Jb^SLAN) hi guys
(23:18:01)      —› nick: (Jb^SLAN) is now known as (lev)
(23:18:06) (lev) hi guys]
(23:18:16) (Ice-gone) howdy
(23:18:35) (lev) hi ic
(23:18:38) (lev) come watch me
(23:18:41) (lev) be drunk
(23:18:41) (lev) [link removed]
(23:20:15) (lev) hi guys

Can we have a new rule stating you can't be drunk/high/under the influence while on IRC?
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
New Irc Rule Proposal
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 11:54:11 PM »
i believe there is one that is implyed.  but most of the people that are drunk or high end up spamming and get booted any way.

Offline Mez

New Irc Rule Proposal
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 07:34:54 PM »
Meh, he was a UK LAN party by the looks of the address, being drunk at one is all part of the fun.

I personally reject your proposal Sirbomber.

Offline gpgarrettboast

• Administrator
New Irc Rule Proposal
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 08:57:58 PM »
I would vote for, except in the case that the person can maintain themself in a decent manner, so in agreement with what Freeza said, if they spam etc, they'll get booted anyway.

Offline Sirbomber

New Irc Rule Proposal
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 09:46:45 PM »
Meh, he was a UK LAN party by the looks of the address, being drunk at one is all part of the fun.
Then be drunk there, not on IRC.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline Mez

New Irc Rule Proposal
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 08:09:31 AM »
No problems with anyone being drunk on IRC. If you can still hold a decent conversation / debate without flaming.  Then again, I know more people on IRC that flame when they are not drunk.

But all the rules of IRC (in this case spamming) do still apply even when you are drunk as said by Freeza-CII and gpgarrettboast.

Offline Oprime

• http://Moogleforest.net
New Irc Rule Proposal
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 01:58:12 PM »
*creeps out of the darkness that is the internet*

I'm totally ok with it. As long as we can...

1) Trick them into saying things we can blackmail them with later
2) Take pictures of them dancing and doing general retarded stuff while drunk/high
3) Laugh about it behind their backs

This is a fact of life people who don't drink/use drugs enjoy lol...
*returns to said darkness*
CPU: AMD Phenom II 940BE
RAM: Patriot Viper 4GB (2GB x2) DDR2 1066Mhz
Motherboard: MSI K9A2 Platinum
Case: Thermaltake Armor Plus+
Power Supply: Themermatake ToughPower 1200Watt PSU
Hard Drive: Fujitsu 15k SAS SCSI 74GB/148GB Raid 0 @ 189MBps
Moniter: LG Flatron 20.1in Widescreen LCD 8ms 1400:1 Contrast ratio w/ F engine
GFX Card: 4 ATI Radeon 4870 1GB GDDR5 CrossFireX
DVD Burners: 2x SONY DVD-RW
Speakers[/b] Logitech Z-5500 505Watt 5.1 Surround
CPU Heatsink[/b]ZeroTerm NV120
OS[/b]Windows Vista Home Premium x64
:P I'm a Hardware freak ><

Offline Leviathan

New Irc Rule Proposal
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 09:38:18 AM »
Jb^ was siting close to me... now that I know he did that ill have to hit him next time I see him lol.

And Sirbomber.. this is a stupid rule which cant be enforced and you cant know if people are drunk/high/under the influence. Stop your moaning!

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
New Irc Rule Proposal
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 05:27:00 PM »
Jb^ was siting close to me... now that I know he did that ill have to hit him next time I see him lol.
Therein lies the problem.. if you are at the point where you aren't aware that someone is messing around with your computer, going on irc, they could spam, get passwords, etc.

There is the whole idea of "you solely are responsible for what happens with your account / online identity / etc." If someone lets someone else use their account or online identity (drunk/high or not) they are responsible for what their account "did" unless they can prove that it was some kind of mistake / screwup, i.e. a computer virus. Besides that, they are fully responsible for what is done with their identity online.

And yeah, you can't always tell whether someone is drunk or high. To be honest, if they can hold a normal conversation without causing problems (like spamming, letting people use their identity, etc) there's nothing we can do... what someone does in real life is their problem, not OPU's.

However, if people are coming on IRC and saying things like "i'm drunk, watch me <paste youtube link>" over and over that is spam, and shouldn't be tolerated.

I think what Sirbomber is trying to say is this: people shouldn't get excused for bad behavior because they are drunk/high and have no control over themselves. If they spam on IRC while drunk, it's just as bad as if they spammed on IRC while sober.

And on a completely unrelated note (though it doesn't matter, it's just my opinion): I usually like to be far away from computers when I am under the influence, or anything else that is capable of storing "information" for later, for that matter :P
Wouldn't want said "information" to come bite me in the butt later on B)

Offline Sirbomber

New Irc Rule Proposal
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 10:43:38 PM »
Wouldn't want said "information" to come bite me in the butt later on B)
And I'm the kind of person who would make sure it would.