Author Topic: Multitek2 Beta 1 Released!  (Read 4763 times)

Offline Sirbomber

Multitek2 Beta 1 Released!
« on: June 21, 2008, 01:02:53 PM »
Okay, here it is. The RAR contains the techtree and a test multiplayer map.
However, a quick warning: For some reason, the Robo-Miner and Robo-Surveyor may require a random amount of rare ore to build.  This is a bug in OP2 and I currently have no idea how to fix this.  Sorry for any inconvenience.  In the meantime, if the bug becomes a problem, ask somebody else in the game to trade you a Miner or Surveyor as needed (for some reason, it never affects player 1).
Other than that bug, I will need feedback from all of you.  I would appreciate everyone giving me feedback, informing me of bugs, and providing suggestions to improve balance.

Okay, enough talk. Here it is:
Multitek 2 Beta 1 Download
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 08:45:27 AM »
Hows the testing going?

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 09:54:24 AM »
I don't know. I haven't heard anyone say anything, so for all I know nobody's even downloaded it, let alone played it...
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline Hidiot

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 01:54:57 PM »
A single-player map for testing would do good.

Playing with yourself on multi player to test something is not really effective.

I'll put the first questions though: why 49 food production at good level for morale? (with improvement research).

Feels a bit odd at first. Will look into it further some other time.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 06:46:57 PM »
Playing with yourself ... is not really effective.
Words to live by, my friend.
I'll upload my single player test map soon. Just be aware that research times will be longer than in a multiplayer game.

Edit: Okay, get it here.

Edit 2: For those wondering what Multitek2 is, go here.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 06:53:43 PM by Sirbomber »

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 01:19:46 PM »
So, it's been awhile... Any comments?

Offline Hidiot

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 02:54:27 PM »
I've gone through the whole available tech list today with the single-player map.

Didn't write anything down, as I was only getting a feel of how things work.

Things that struck me:
Some researches don't have the consequences they state
Some tech descriptions are very vague.
A certain research on increasing food production from the advanced lab caught my eye. I didn't find anything in the description to justify the use of an advanced lab for it.
Why panther as the first chassis?

Will do more extensive checking on the tech file itself.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 03:09:19 PM »
Why panther as the first chassis?
The panther was universally regarded as being useless and obsolete in OP2. Too slow to catch lynx (and don't have a huge amount of more armor over lynx), too weak to stand against tigers. So, instead, the panther is now the basic combat chassis, a rather neutral all-around chassis. Improved designs could be modifying it to be much more lightweight (lynx) or beef it up with more armor and firepower (tiger).

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 04:33:03 PM »
Heh, that make sense to me.

It was definately a little weird. It's a fair bit of effort to relearn everything. Although, I certainly did get the feeling that there'd be very different strategies put into use.

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 06:49:59 PM »
Some researches don't have the consequences they state
Some tech descriptions are very vague.
A certain research on increasing food production from the advanced lab caught my eye. I didn't find anything in the description to justify the use of an advanced lab for it.
I'm no writer. That's the best you're getting from me.  Several descriptions actually say something along the lines of "I have no idea what to say anymore" such as:
    DESCRIPTION     "Structure Factories may now produce Arachnid Factory structure kits.  Arachnid Factories may produce Spider units.  _______________________________________ SIRBOMBER DEMANDS HELP WITH THE WRITING."

Oh, and if something doesn't do what it says, that's a bug and I'd really like it if you told me what the specific problem is.
And so what if I put something in an Advanced Lab? Who's to decide what does and does not "belong" in an Advanced Lab? If something doesn't make sense it's probably one of two things: I was too lazy to write a good explanation or if it were in the Standard Lab it would be too easy to get.

Edit: Oh, and to answer "Why the Panther?"... Why not? Sure, I could have done Lynx > Panther > Tiger, but that's too much like the original game.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 07:00:24 PM by Sirbomber »