Author Topic: Shoutbox Suggestions  (Read 6314 times)

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Shoutbox Suggestions
« on: October 15, 2003, 03:31:00 PM »
I've decided that, instead of trying to re-integrate the shoutbox that we knew and loved from the old version of the forums, that we would make a brand new one from scratch.

The advantage to this is, you can choose what types of special/new features it will have!

I have some ideas for it already:

- Private chat (either 1 on 1 (like a realtime PM) or private room) capability, if you want to talk realtime to someone else without having other people see what you are talking about, and without having to use AIM or other chat program (some of you, CK in particular, don't want to / can't install chat programs like that... this would be useful)

- More advanced moderation options, such as the ability to ban certain people from certain features, etc, ability to edit shouts, ability to set a chat "topic" (like IRC), etc.

- Possibly... possibility to interface/use the Shoutbox from AIM or another IM client, say you enter a password to a "Shoutbox robot" and you can send and receive shouts thru that way. (like if you can't use the internet freely, or think it would be easier this way)

- Possibly... ability to send files or images through the shoutbox.

Those are all my ideas for now. If you don't like them, think they should be changed, or have new suggestions, feel free to post them here!

Offline Zircon

Shoutbox Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2003, 03:36:22 PM »
Nr 2 and 4 are good options...
Nr 1 isnt very useful, except for ck that is...
Nr3 seems a little useless... But an interesting option...

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Shoutbox Suggestions
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2003, 03:43:50 PM »
Ok. Update, in a day or two I will give xfir a very simple (SIMPLE) shoutbox that will work for the time being.

xfir

Shoutbox Suggestions
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2003, 06:39:30 PM »
Okay. Did you figure out the entire skin_global.php / functions.php relationship?

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Shoutbox Suggestions
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2003, 07:26:04 PM »
I like the last option   :op2: + :op2: = :CK9's:  
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

xfir

Shoutbox Suggestions
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2003, 07:30:06 PM »
:op2:  :yawn:  :whistle:  :heh:

Checking out the new emoticons, huh?

:oops:  :I'm with stupid:  

:spam:  = :Betaray:  

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Shoutbox Suggestions
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2003, 07:52:11 PM »
yep

:yawn:  :whistle:
 :spam: +  (OT) = :Betaray: +  :CK9's: \=/ (doesn't =)  :BANNED: from :op2:  
CK9 in outpost
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Shoutbox Suggestions
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2003, 07:32:56 AM »
The 2nd seems to be the most senceful to me.

1st is quite interesting, but would the chat really be private and what about the shout-counts in private rooms?

4th ... well, wouldn't it increase the traffic on xfir's server?

xfir

Shoutbox Suggestions
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2003, 10:48:42 PM »
We are currently working on getting the shoutbox to work, so don't be alarmed if you can't use it. (The old shouts are still in existance, it's just op2hacker has to figure out how to use them)

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Shoutbox Suggestions
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2003, 08:44:15 AM »
I personaly think the marquee should go the other way
CK9 in outpost

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Shoutbox Suggestions
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2003, 03:50:59 PM »
Ok. Hi again, yes xfir has gotten a new copy of the shoutbox from the original "Shoutbox maker"... We will keep something similar to this, but add more features (and make it more Invision Board-compatible (The author did a horrible job with compatibility....))

From now on, as the shoutbox gets updated, if you have any questions or comments direct them to me (because for the most part I will be responsible for handling the shoutbox stuff)

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Shoutbox Suggestions
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2003, 01:37:26 PM »
I have said that a few months ago: it ignores the different time-zones. Please change that.

Offline Leviathan

Shoutbox Suggestions
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2003, 07:04:33 PM »
My Shoutbox Suggestions:

remove it. use a chat room instead. y have a half arsed web based chat room when u can have a great chat room with the complete works! user list, file transfer, colors, full customations, many clients and scripts 2 chose from, private messageing, sound alerts and more.

"IRC gained international fame during the Gulf War in 1991, where updates from around the world came accross the wire, and most irc users who were online at the time gathered on a single channel to hear these reports. IRC had similar uses during the coup against Boris Yeltsin in September 1993, where IRC users from Moscow were giving live reports about the unstable situation there."

if every1 was just 2 take 10 minuets 2 learn the basic commands of IRC and how 2 use it we would all b able 2 use the worlds most popular way of communicating on the net for our Outpost world.

http://www.mirc.com/ is the official site of mIRC.

QuakeNet is the network we r useing, #Outpost2 is the channel.

US QuakeNet Server - whole.ny.us.quakenet.org
UK QuakeNet Server - multiplay.uk.quakenet.org
Full QuakeNet server list

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Shoutbox Suggestions
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2003, 11:07:26 AM »
The reason the shoutbox is used vs. a chatroom because of these things:

1) usually most ppl that post in it are not on when you are, so the things they say in it, you can still see, unlike a chat room (you must be there to hear them)
2) it works with all browsers and is "light" compared to having to go and download Java or whatever crap to see a chat room.

Offline OP2Patriot

Shoutbox Suggestions
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2003, 07:49:47 PM »
Besides, if they think the chatroom is better, they will choose the chatroom. That doesn't mean you should stop advertising your chatroom, however.

The Forbidden Outpost 2 Forum ... they don't want you to know about it.
Yell if the above link disappears.

Offline Luweeg64

• http://gcuco.netfirms.com
Shoutbox Suggestions
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2003, 10:07:17 PM »
I like the shoutbox,,,,I have just one question. When was it created?

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Shoutbox Suggestions
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2003, 10:16:42 PM »
I like those equasions lol

:Happy Birthday: + :Betaray: = :spam:  :spam:  :spam:  :spam: =lots of (OT) with some :ph34r:  :CK9's:  :I'm with stupid:  :spam:  :oops:  :whistle: to go with it
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Leviathan

Shoutbox Suggestions
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2003, 09:49:34 AM »
as a genral suggestion on chat methods for the comunity i feel that the Client's chatroom should be the main one and the OP2 IRC channel (#Outpost2 on QuakeNet) should be secondary and backup room.

irc client for the op2 chat room - http://www.insurrectionlan.co.uk/Outpost2IRC.zip

xfir

Shoutbox Suggestions
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2003, 10:00:23 AM »
Hmm... I'm not sure when I implemented the Shoutbox.... I know that sometime along the way I cleared the shouts out (twice, actually.. or more.. I'm not sure) so there really isn't anyway to check.

Edit:

After looking down the News Forum's topic list by about 15 lines, I found that I implemented it 8th April 2003.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2003, 10:07:06 AM by xfir »