Author Topic: Outpost Open-core  (Read 20146 times)

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Outpost Open-core
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2008, 08:22:22 AM »
I guess I don't understand why there is always a flame war whenever someone suggests the creation of a new project. I understand from experience that a lot of projects introduced here fail, but I knew thought it was a sin to try.

As far as Java goes, I have my qualms about Java but it still might be a useful language to code this in (almost everyone learns Java from highschool or introductory college CS classes).

I would recommend against Qt. Qt is a windowing/widget toolkit, not a graphics toolkit and as such is not suited for games. (I don't think it's the easiest to use either). I would suggest something like SDL. (In any case, the graphics, sound, and network layer should probably be native code for speed; the built in Java "canvas" etc. are kinda slow). (And to be honest, it might be better to implement the majority of the program in a compiled language like C++ (C++ can be very cross platform if you do it right), and limit the use of Java to things like AI routines, logic that handles in-game objects, maps/missions, etc. However, JNI (the interactions layer between compiled languages and Java) is terribly, terribly designed and not fun to use).

About the deadline. Being a developer of software myself, giving yourself that sort of a short deadline is not going to work out (unless you have minions of programmers behind you). Furthermore, even if you can crank it out in that short amount of time, how high of a quality can you expect the code to be? I know if I have to write software for a deadline it almost always contains many more bugs than it would if I had had more time to write it. Especially for a fan project where you really aren't under any time constraints -- don't kill yourself over it. (Better yet, don't announce any kind of deadline, it just gets people's hopes up and disappoints many when you aren't able to get a finished product out by the deadline).

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost Open-core
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2008, 03:53:29 PM »
I guess I don't understand why there is always a flame war whenever someone suggests the creation of a new project. I understand from experience that a lot of projects introduced here fail, but I knew thought it was a sin to try.
It isn't a sin to try so much as I'm just expressing my total lack of faith in this project, and can you blame me after all we've been through?

And usually the flame wars start because people are too sensitive (how dare I attack them and their project!). If you can't take criticism, then don't start a public project.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Outpost Open-core
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2008, 09:34:06 PM »
Of course your doing what you do because you enjoy it sirbomber.

And you really failed.

Offline Skix

Outpost Open-core
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2008, 10:23:27 PM »
Well Once again People, A month is not the dead line. Yes I have Minions, but alas, their useless... This is up to me...

No, A Month is how long i'm giving myself to release a base to this thing....
The Core to the Core.

With that out The "Open Source" part of this can actualy begin, and of course, I'll still be working on it.

This Has no deadline. I would like three months, but we'll see how things go. who knows, I may have the core out in a month or two. I doubt it, but hey, you never know...

Regardless. I'm starting now.

And I don't really care if you have faith or not. I'm gonna get this done, and then You will eat your Words Sirbomber.

All in time.

Tell you what Sirbomber, I'll even make a bet with you on this.

If the Core isn't at least... Oh... 75 Percent done by... August 31'st I will personaly wire you 50$. If The Core Is at least 75 Percent Done by Augest 31'st, You must Declare me Better than you in all ways, shapes, forms, and fasions, in your siggy for a A Month, and you may never doubt me again.

75 Percent will be considered as 75 percent of whats on that list I started this thread with, along with the condition I forgot, the "User Interface".
It shall be judged by our peers here at OPU.

Sound fair?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 10:32:30 PM by Skix »

Offline Fenrisul

Outpost Open-core
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2008, 10:59:12 PM »
http://www.razaelstree.com/resources/

count some of my free-time in once finals are over.

Offline Hidiot

Outpost Open-core
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2008, 02:55:41 AM »
Skix... it would be far more wise to DROP any grudges you might have with Sirbomber or anyone... but especially Sirbomber. It's his right to doubt that your project will somehow get somewhere when he's seen a lot of projects come and go...

Plus, it will get ugly... he does generally put up good arguments and you might, at any one point, not be able to beat him in arguments and judging by your reactions and apparently short temper, you will (60-80% chance) just go berserk, do stuff without giving too much though that might, in the end, make you leave this community or get banned.

I'm just saying this in a hope to avoid any(more) fights...
If anyone who doubts you will be proved wrong, they might just say "Well, I was wrong, you did it, congrats", but if you go challenging them like that... I can only see bad things happening.

Oh, yes, pessimism(as generally perceived by the public) in the form of minimalism (Here I attribute it as: examining the worst things that could happen so you won't get discouraged, sad, angry, whatnot when you fail, but still enjoy good results when they come) is a form adequate for such situations.

For now, just go do something, show progress and don't expect to be praised or encouraged by everyone. That's life and it happens a lot.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Drakmar

Outpost Open-core
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2008, 05:32:19 AM »
Hidiot is right. Sirbomber, as well as myself, have been around long enough to see dozens of projects come and go, and many of them had excelent starting points, such as Outpost 3: The Final Chapter, and Outpost 3: Alien Wars. It's fair for Sirbomber to be prepared for the worst when the odds have been against these type of projects. Just my 2 cents.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Outpost Open-core
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2008, 12:38:49 AM »
What you say is very true.  But things can go a bit to far.

Offline Fenrisul

Outpost Open-core
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2008, 06:07:49 AM »
Blah blah blah...  focus on getting s*** done - let me know if you need anything from me skix.   My 2ยข

Offline Fenrisul

Outpost Open-core
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2008, 11:12:44 AM »
When Can I Expect Updates/Completion?

As for Completion I don't know yet, I'll include an estmate with my first update.
But for Updates, Expect the First in Mid to Late June. I graduate High School May 31, So Anything before then will be impossible.

Mid to Late June?!?!?! Why Post This So Early???
Two Reasons:

1: To motivate me to do it. Now I'll look like a Jack ass if I don't.
2: Because I Need Stuff From You.

Update update update!  Update update update! [size=8]Update update update![/size]
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 11:13:03 AM by Fenrisul »

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Outpost Open-core
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2008, 12:58:53 PM »
Update update update!  Update update update! [size=8]Update update update![/size]
Want to give starting your own project another shot? :P

Offline Derekristow

Outpost Open-core
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2008, 05:58:55 PM »
This source project sounds like a really good idea if you can keep it up.  If you want to prove you can do this and get it done, why don't you put your code up every time you cross something off your list?  It would prove you really are working on this and allow easy beta testing/community editing.  

Offline Hidiot

Outpost Open-core
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2008, 06:22:04 AM »
The biggest question would be: Is he still around?!
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline gpgarrettboast

• Administrator
Outpost Open-core
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2008, 02:30:26 PM »
Wow it came and gone between 2 times that I've checked the forums... I still have the longest running project heheh..... We need more people with stamina d: It'd be nice if people could buckle down and hammer out an Outpost 2 Clone, as it really enables for a community to do so much more with the game itself than just hacking away at it (see Transport Tycoon) It wouldn't be hard... I would do it myself if I didn't have bigger ambitions lol