Author Topic: Why Not Make A Heavier Wall?  (Read 2935 times)

Offline TRIX Rabbit

• http://androidar.deviantart.com/
Why Not Make A Heavier Wall?
« on: March 21, 2008, 12:20:59 PM »
I've noticed that alot of these "crude ideas" have topics like: "If we ned moar dfence, let's make an UBERGUARDPOST or TIGER Chassis!"

The combat system is good, realistic. So I proposed a solution:

If you want better defenses, make a better wall.
OP2 wall suffered from easy distruction. If you make a wall that cost just a *little* bit of rare, and have it  able to stand up to several RPG's and maybe 2 novas, the issue of defense will be less "offensive" (Guard posts), and able to balance stronger weapons out.

I'm more commonly known as AndroidAR now:
My deviantArt

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 02:18:55 PM »
That's...
Not that bad of an idea, actually...

Though speaking of walls and Novas, does anybody else find it strange that Lasers and Microwaves tear through walls while Novas barely scratch them?
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 05:19:51 PM »
Why? Not sure, unless you mean from a technical perspective. :P

Outpost 2 was somewhat designed with that in mind. There is an artificial damage modifier for Lasers and Microwaves when they're attacking walls. Plus, walls are not units, just a map cell, which means there essentially no memory to store anything specific to that wall. Hence they don't actually have any hitpoints. Instead, the max hitpoints assigned to the walls (in the sheets) is used along with the damage from the weapon to determine a probability of a wall being destroyed. It's done in such a way that normal walls must go through 3 stages, and can only go from one to the next when damage from a fresh weapons fire is applied. Hence, a nova, being only a single weapons fire when it goes off, can only take the walls through one such stage. (Lava walls and Blight walls would just be destroyed right away). I suspect the nova thing may have been more of an oversight of their memory limited existence.

And yeah, better defensive walls isn't actually that bad of an idea. One layer is too easy to shoot through, plus Outpost 2 makes it too hard to build multilayer walls. It also doesn't let you keep them repaired.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 03:58:10 AM »
its a dirt mound that is melted with a fusion beam basicly.  I am not sure how you are going to beat that. Unless your going to poor resources into armor platting.  Then is it really cost effective to have that wall which in all rts will be blow up in a matter of seconds any way because some one will mass produce units and just make lovely holes in your expensive wall where all that ore could have dont to a real defensive measure like GPs or Units.

Offline Skydock Command

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 05:56:15 AM »
Why dont we allow walls to be repaired then to counteract that? Well, it would kind of help. We could also give the wall another stage or two...  
Savant Computer: Communications link established.
Skydock: This is Skydock Command. We have received your message.

Offline TRIX Rabbit

• http://androidar.deviantart.com/
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 01:13:22 PM »
I think the supernovas barely damage walls because the walls are made of the ground, and can absorb the impact, whereas lazors n MWaves "scrape" away at it.

Anyway, I thought that we should have walls that should hold up better to damage. In response to Freeza's input, the research could allow earthworkers to compress the material better, and improve the substructure.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 01:15:59 PM by TRIX Rabbit »
I'm more commonly known as AndroidAR now:
My deviantArt