Author Topic: Error Msg  (Read 6125 times)

Offline modius

Error Msg
« on: March 18, 2008, 08:55:22 AM »
I have my old outpost cd, but could not get it to download on my win xp system.  I downloaded and it seemed to install properly (using Daemon virtual cd). Only problem is, when i go to play it i get an error msg "File Not Found:  1020.bmp" Any ideas on a fix?  

Offline Mez

Error Msg
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 02:03:32 PM »
More details Please.

For a start:

Your operating system, & service pack number

Offline modius

Error Msg
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 04:01:48 PM »
Win xp, sp2

Offline Mez

Error Msg
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 08:44:47 PM »
Don't know.

Possibly a corrupt download?

is the 1020.bmp file on the cd somewhere (i.e. Try and copy it from the d into your install dir)

I assume you have tried uninstalling and reinstalling

Offline modius

Error Msg
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 08:13:14 PM »
so, y'all are good...  i just posted the error msg and like an hour later its fixed. not sure how or why.  it just stopped getting the error msg and just worked.  i didnt change anything at all....didn't even restart the pc.  some crazy internet psychoflexis powers you peeps wield. hehe  thx much!  

Offline andresgriego

Error Msg
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 03:37:50 PM »
Look and see (Ctrl-Alt-Del) if there is a process running called WOWC.EXE or something like that. Kill this process and try again. Alternatively, rebooting Windows fixes it too.

Offline Sirbomber

Error Msg
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 06:50:11 PM »
Really? Interesting... How did you discover that?
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Error Msg
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 11:33:15 PM »
Isn't that some sort of 16-bit windows subsystem that's still stuck with us from the days of Win 3.11?

Offline andresgriego

Error Msg
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 06:02:59 PM »
Isn't that some sort of 16-bit windows subsystem that's still stuck with us from the days of Win 3.11?
Yes, that's exactly what it is! I read about it somewhere and then encountered it myself when I run Outpost after trying to install the game over an existing installation.

Saw the 1020.bmp message, killed WOWEXEC.EXE, restarted Outpost and presto, it worked!

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Error Msg
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 11:34:47 PM »
Yeah, it's part of the 16-bit WoW subsystem in 32 bit versions of Windows (WoW stands for Windows on Windows).

If I remember correctly, ntvdm.exe is the 32 bit "side" of the system (essentially it works by switching the CPU in/out of v86 mode so that 16-bit code can run alongside 32bit code). Wowexec.exe is the 16bit "side" which exposes the OS (system calls and such) to the 16bit apps.

What this means, if you kill off ntvdm.exe, it should terminate ALL your 16bit apps (they all run under a single ntvdm process) that are running.

As an interesting aside, if I remember correctly, this was the reason that 16 bit apps can't be run under 64 bit windows (I don't think you can switch from long mode to v86 mode).

In any case, good fix -- I wonder if it works in all cases of this error message appearing.

Offline Sirbomber

Error Msg
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 08:58:05 PM »
(WoW stands for [hot] Windows on Windows [action]).
:whistle:

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.  I think I need more sleep...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 08:58:22 PM by Sirbomber »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials