Author Topic: Op2 Campaign - My Own Creation  (Read 5130 times)

Offline Gagagigo3

Op2 Campaign - My Own Creation
« on: September 25, 2007, 02:58:05 AM »
Hi,

Im busy of making a campaign of myself;
- plays on earth
- no, i dont use greenworld skins
- you play plymouth side
- earth is rather death then exploded
- volcanic activity: yes, why not
- no blight :D
- 3 factions, you play one
- no, 2 factions use the Eden skin

Thats most of it for you guys to know now. im busy with level 2 now, but i want to finish the first one ( 32 x 32, the further you are, the bigger the maps XI bad news for me). Bu im stuck with the coding, i have been to OP Wiki but i yust cant get the answer there, also the tools i found are a problem for me. I really really REALLY need help on thoes things.

- - - Anyone who dosnt want to know where my campaign would actually end dont read this - - -

Wondering how the campaign ends? Its where the introduction movie of OP2 starts

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  
Extinction is just the beginning.

Check this out, it rocks

Offline Hidiot

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 03:22:42 AM »
Coding will be much harder then you might imagine if you're going to make AI's. the rest isn't all that bad.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 05:31:24 AM »
Sounds good :)

Offline Gagagigo3

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 08:36:32 AM »
I dont mean to make a general AI, i prefer scripting for every individual unit, like those sierra guys did ( i guess )

Check this out, it rocks

Offline Hidiot

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 11:30:21 AM »
I've been trying to do the same thing on just 1 medium-size map and it's proving to be much harder than I anticipated...

Offline Gagagigo3

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 11:45:28 AM »
Ok, i get it. Still i need help on the coding...whats the code for letting units patrol, reinforcements, buildings, mining, other things like disasters i need those codes.

Short:

I NEED THE G*DD**N CODES NOT DIFFICULTIES  

Check this out, it rocks

Offline Hidiot

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 12:28:16 PM »
The most should be found on this forum in the Programming section under Coding and AI programing.

For disasters you'll need to use triggers.
Volcanoes are more of a headache.
You'll need a lot of testing to get everything balanced.

Make sure you look in the libraries used in coding maps. They come with the Codeblocks stuff if you download codeblocks from the opu wiki.

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 04:07:22 PM »
A 32 x 32 map is not a good idea, as it will cause OP2 to crash for people with higher screen resolutions (Arklon, for example).

And I hope you know what you're getting into. Remember that Renegades is/was being developed by a professional programmer and we haven't had any updates since the Mission 1-4 demo, and you seem to have trouble grasping basic concepts...

In short, good luck, but I personally am not getting my hopes up for this project.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 04:30:50 PM »
Ok, i get it. Still i need help on the coding...whats the code for letting units patrol, reinforcements, buildings, mining, other things like disasters i need those codes.

Short:

I NEED THE G*DD**N CODES NOT DIFFICULTIES
That kind of attitude will get you no where. Making a good mission file requires thought, skill, and patience. There are no magic 'codes' for every problem or feature. Many things will have to be hand made especially if your making any kind of a good AI.

I've been programming in C++ for nearly 3 years, and done op2 missions for 2 of them. I've learned a lot in that time and got good at making missions, but it's no easy task no matter how you look at it. The average time for me to run through a typical LoS multiplayer map is about 3 hours at top speed (not counting testing, which takes a while longer). That might not seem like a lot, but thats because I was just plugging numbers into an outline I made before. A real mission (aka just about every colony game) is a custom job. It took me 6 months to make Caught in the Crossfire (it's virtually a colony game in multiplayer).

That probably didn't help you at all, but we can't say anything else really. There are no existing easy to read guides to making missions that I know of. I learned most things through trial and error. That doesn't mean there aren't guides though, they are just buried in the forums and wiki. For example, I have an example of a working AI base here: http://forum.outpostuniverse.net/index.php?showtopic=3233.

Edit: You will also need to hack up op2 to get your campaign into the game. The Renegades team did this a lot to get theirs to work.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 04:32:02 PM by Mcshay »

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 10:42:19 PM »
The wiki hasn't been very popular with most of the programmers. I think most of the good stuff is in the programming forum. The most recent thread that seems relevant is probably Hidiot's thread. It's basically a first time making a DLL, here's what I've been doing, now how do I get this to work, type of thing. It may help you get started. Many of the questions you seem interested in were touched on there.

I'd say just jump in and get started. Play around with the mission SDK a bit. There should be at least one example level in there to help you get started. What's not covered in the exmaple, check that thread for, and maybe other threads too. If it's not covered there, then try and post really specific questions, and we'll try to answer them.

There isn't currently any real guide to level making, although it's something we do hope to have at some point.

Offline Gagagigo3

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 01:29:04 AM »
Hi again,

Sorry bout the last post i posted yesterday i was pissed cause of a reason im not gonna explain here. ( Private reasons...sorry )

Now, first i wanna know what SDK means. I searched it on the Wiki page but i cant just find the extended name. ( OR is it just me being dumb...? ) And as i know, making a campaign is hard, and that i will have to hack OP2, maybe il just finish my campaign and post it here for someone else to hack OP2 for it ( I know, someone else has to do the dirty work ).
ANd if the SP isnt gonna work, i can always try MP
To bad i cant show a pic of a map im now working on, it really looks good, the only thing i dislike is the piece for piece fitting of the OP2 mapper  <_<
But oh well, its better then nothing...

« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 01:44:14 AM by Gagagigo3 »

Check this out, it rocks

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 05:03:21 PM »
SDK = Software Development Kit.

You can find a page on it here.

Offline Gagagigo3

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 04:21:38 PM »
Kk, if i have anything to ask i will post it here i guess. And thanks for that SDK now le'me continue that campaign and i will ( hope to ) finish it ASAP

Check this out, it rocks

Offline 7842303

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2007, 12:32:24 AM »
i have always dreamed that they would return to earth...  only to see its been taken over by an alian race that had the same problem as humans had earlyer and they talk about it and work together in peace and harmony...  just kidding they blow each other into the stone age and then start hitting each other with hunks of metel. (thumbsup)
ps: im hungry
onword to battle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
unless your tired, of cource

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2007, 02:48:35 AM »
i have always dreamed that they would return to earth
Except this sounds like it is leading up to OP2, rather than they went back to Earth.
Though why would Plymouth oppose terraforming Earth...?
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Gagagigo3

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2007, 12:07:32 PM »
:lol: Sounds like confusion. And i didnt wrote down a final storyline yet, so this is yust what i have now:

Eden >>> Survivors from the west ( Europe and America )
Plymouth >>> Survivors from the east ( Asia; Russia and China and those other more wealthy countries in the east )
The Southern Alliance >>> The southern continents ( Africa and South-America )

The Southern Alliance description: This one will maybe appear in the last missions...im not sure yet. But heres my description:
 A non-playable faction! TSA is trying to survive, and wants to have revenge on the northern continents cause they left them for dieing. This faction will use both plymouth and eden skins as they salvage all wreckage and tech they can.

Eden is trying to find a solution to escape the planets own doom. Plymouth is trying to survive... In this last year you will be playing in a conflict that begins to grow. As the two groups will fight for not only resources in the Middle East they also try to conquer land where they can expand. Because of many disasters ( Like volcanoes, earthquakes, and increased vortex activity in Americas Vortex Valley) they will have to find safer land to build on.

Storylines (Missions):
Eden line:
Mission 1 Conquering the metal volcano('s)   :rolleyes:
Mission 2 Escape trough Vortex Valley part one  :unsure:
Mission 3 Escape trough Vortex Valley part two  :blink:
Mission 4 Spacerace :op2:
Mission 5 Metals ahoy!  :heh:
Mission 6 Farewell...earth  :'(

Plymouth line:
Mission 1 Conquering the 'Golden plains'  B)
Mission 2 Making money  (thumbsup)
Mission 3 Preparing assault against Vortex Valley  :whistle:
Mission 4 Spacerace :op2:
Mission 5 Metals we seek...  :find:
Mission 6 Unholy alliance  :ph34r:

(When ending in one of the campaigns you must refer to the Outpost 2 intro movie that will (hopefully) be the ending video of my campaign.

PS(1): I hope this helps you guys making a picture...
PS(2): Now im going to school...cya
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 12:10:24 PM by Gagagigo3 »

Check this out, it rocks