Author Topic: Alternate Op2 Universe  (Read 5973 times)

Offline 7842303

Alternate Op2 Universe
« on: August 27, 2007, 02:00:36 PM »
I have no idea how to program, but an idea is a op2 with no blight. this would allow more combat, multipule baces, and mabey multipule planits at once.
onword to battle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
unless your tired, of cource

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Alternate Op2 Universe
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 04:22:49 PM »
...no blight...
Blight is the best part of op2.

Offline Sirbomber

Alternate Op2 Universe
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 04:23:27 PM »
If only I had been a minute faster I could have said that Mcshay.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Sl0vi

Alternate Op2 Universe
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 08:07:10 PM »
...no blight...
Blight is the best part of op2.
altho the "OMG Finish researching this and that and run away before the blight gets here!!!" part tends to get a bit dull after doing it through most of the campaign.
!!!YAY!!!

Offline Psudomorph

Alternate Op2 Universe
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 08:24:29 AM »
I agree that I would like to see how OP2 would have developed without blight.

Blight is certainly not essential to the gameplay, and a lot of colony games and multiplayer maps don't use it at all. If you can think of an engaging enough design for a campaign that doesn't involve blight, maybe someone will decide to make it (but thats a big maybe considering how difficult it is to make campaigns).

It might even be possible to simulate multiple planets by having different maps use different tilesets (greenworld set for example).

So it can definitely be done, but unfortunately OP2 is a very hard game to make custom missions for, so whether it happens depends entirely on the idea being good enough to motivate the community... and unfortunately it seems motivation is generally in short supply for OP2.

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Alternate Op2 Universe
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 08:38:25 AM »
...multiplayer maps don't use it at all...
You have been missing out on the best kind of multiplayer game.

Offline Psudomorph

Alternate Op2 Universe
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 08:44:26 AM »
a lot of colony games and multiplayer maps

I know there are maps that use it, I'm saying it isn't required for a working game.

Offline 7842303

Alternate Op2 Universe
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 08:31:19 PM »
you have a select page like in starcraft that you could select origonal campain, new campain, or modifyed campain.

ps: did any one, other than Psudomorph look farther than:
...no blight...
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 08:44:58 PM by 7842303 »
onword to battle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline White Claw

Alternate Op2 Universe
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 09:48:34 AM »
ps: did any one, other than Psudomorph look farther than:

Well, you should actually be happy nobody tore into you (as sometimes happens) for suggesting new planets. That particular idea has come and gone several times. Nobody is particularly in favor of commanding several planets at once since the in-game scale doesn't really support that sort of thing. (I'm not talking about the capabilities of the game, I'm talking about how it "feels".)

You can build more than one base. If you want more combat, that's also possible but as stated you'd have to make your own maps. Unfortunately OP2's missions are hard coded DLLs so modification or brand new creation is a pain in the butt.

Strictly speaking about gameplay, no blight isn't needed. But you'd have to have an all new campaign if you wanted one without blight. The original campaign is predicated on being chased by the blight and wouldn't really make sense without it.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 09:49:55 AM by White Claw »

Offline 7842303

Alternate Op2 Universe
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2007, 07:09:03 PM »
no it wouldnt be like that it would be one campain and when you finish that you unlock the next campain, usualy on a differnt planet.
and here is the first missions objectives and map:

Level 1: 10 cargo trucks, 1 vehicle factory, 3 convecs, 2 robo-miners, 4 lynx, research health maintenance, environmental psychology, large-scale optical restorers, high temperature superconductivity, 1 earth-worker, 1 robo dozer, 5 guard posts, mobile weapons platform, explosive charges, 1 starflare lynx, seismology, cybernetic teleportation, 5000 common metals, 2500 food, 30 children, 35 workers, 26 scientists.

sorry map not working  :blush:

please reply
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 07:11:46 PM by 7842303 »

Offline White Claw

Alternate Op2 Universe
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2007, 08:12:10 PM »
Is this a map you've started coding or something you're asking from the group?

The list of objectives seems okay, but I suppose it would need to fit into a story somehow. Hopefully it all means something and isn't just a list of some random stuff.

What are the initial assumptions? Do you start out with any research done?

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Alternate Op2 Universe
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2007, 08:34:42 PM »
You can always try to make the level yourself.

Try searching through the programming forum for stuff on how to make a level. Be sure to check into the mission SDK. There might be some downloads on the web site (www. instead of forum.). It would require a few downloads to do yourself, and possibly a lot of reading to really understand it, but it shouldn't actually be too hard to get something basic going like what you're describing. It helps to know some programming, but it's not strictly required. You do pretty much have to deal with C++ code, but there are templates with enough stuff written that you can get away with just changing a few numbers and names of units.

Offline 7842303

Alternate Op2 Universe
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2007, 05:35:31 PM »
1.  my computer isnt hooked up to the internet, im on my moms computer.  so im no alowed to download anything
2.  i have the second mission objectives writen but not typed, and yes it means some thing.  you have nursury and university
3. i do have a fledgling story line here it is:

the bacic story line is the eden leader is killed and that lessens pressure to put the blight in effect (before its ready the dieing scientist said it " wasnt ready yet") Any ways part of eden suspects plymouth as the culprit and the other part doesnt belive so.  war brakes out and then the not moving away from the blight increeses population.  plymouth isnt forgoten, it launches a project to build a millitary as a "millisha" but it is mostly crimanals with modifyed memorys, squrpion rifles
 and modifyed scouts.  crimanals because they have nothing to give to the colony.

what do you think?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 07:05:26 PM by 7842303 »

Offline pbhead

Alternate Op2 Universe
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2007, 01:20:46 AM »
...multiplayer maps don't use it at all...
You have been missing out on the best kind of multiplayer game.
?!?

sounds... fun... where?

Offline Sirbomber

Alternate Op2 Universe
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2007, 01:50:20 AM »
Come on IRC if you're interested.
Come on IRC even if you aren't, actually!
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials