Author Topic: Color Mod  (Read 5234 times)

Offline Sirbomber

Color Mod
« on: July 27, 2007, 11:31:54 AM »
As some of you may already know, awhile back I decided to replace the existing Outpost 2 colors with different ones. Due to various limitations, color modding takes longer than you'd expect, but I finished it last night.

The new colors are:
(Old) > (New)
Blue > Rose
Red > Dark Red
Green > Black
Yellow > Orange
Cyan > Teal
Magenta > White

Yes, Black is a little difficult to see on the minimap at night, but it still isn't invisible. And you can always just play without day and night, right? Or just don't let anyone play as black. But black and white actually show up as the right colors on the minimap, so I'm not changing them.

Download:
http://users.outpostuniverse.net/mcshay/B...d/NewColors.rar

Pictures:

Make a backup of your original Outpost2.exe before you use the color mod version.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 08:57:54 PM by Leviathan »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline 7842303

Color Mod
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 08:00:22 PM »
why not just add some off the colors

black looks more natural on eden it looks more hostile
rose or dark red would look good on plymouth
keep blue please
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 08:04:19 PM by 7842303 »
onword to battle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
unless your tired, of cource

Offline Sirbomber

Color Mod
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 08:55:16 PM »
You can't make a color something for one colony and something different for another.
And I didn't keep any colors (except [dark] Red, but that was because of an OP2 limitation).
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline Leviathan

Color Mod
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 09:03:33 PM »
This is sweet :)

Great work. Love the orange.  

Offline Sirbomber

Color Mod
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 09:06:39 PM »
Lev wants me to point out that you don't need the modded exe for the mod to work. I included it because it changes the color names in the pre-game screen to reflect the new colors.

Offline Savant 231-A

• https://www.outpost2.net
Color Mod
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 01:11:32 AM »
white is the coolest.
Nice job!!!
Gordon Freeman, and mr. Crowbar would own Master Chief in any part of the day.
"Come here citizen."

"From the ashes of the collapse we seek to build a better world for all."

Offline Leviathan

Color Mod
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 07:13:17 AM »
Yeah the color.bmp is a local mod so you can play with someone who is using a different color.bmp. If you want the default colors just remove/rename the color.bmp from the op2 dir. The default one is inside a VOL.

Only reason for the custom EXE is so the color list is edited so you dont have to refer to the list of changed colors but its bad because you cant play with someone who is using the standard EXE. So my suggestion is to not use the custom EXE at all.

I hope we will see more colors soon :)

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Color Mod
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 04:24:36 PM »
Here's a small update I made to Color Mod 1. You no longer have to rename exe's and color.bmp nor use a bat file to do the renaming for you. Extract it to your OP2 folder. To run it, either use the included bat file, or create a new shortcut to OP2 and add the parameter "/loadmod cm1" (without quotes) to the shortcut's target. Note that your Outpost2.exe must be the original exe, not the old color mod one.
Download CM1

Edit: It seems to like to change the game version to 0.0.1 (the only way to find out is if someone not running the mod tries to join a game who's hosted by someone who is). This shouldn't be a problem in multiplayer as long as everyone is using the mod. I (well, BlackBox) might look into getting it fixed if it appears to be causing problems, though I doubt it.

Edit 2: Here's another color mod, also made by Sirbomber. Includes lime, tan, slate, purple, puce, and scarlet. Sirbomber also made icons for CM1 and CM2 to use in shortcuts, and I've updated the CM1 download to include its icon. To make a shortcut for CM2, do the same thing as you would for CM1, but instead of "/loadmod cm1", type "/loadmod cm2".
Download CM2
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 02:46:02 PM by Arklon »

Offline Leviathan

Color Mod
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 07:17:42 AM »
Good work.

Offline Sirbomber

Color Mod
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 03:43:00 PM »
Yes, by making them real mods with their own mod folders (like Renegades) it is MUCH easier to use them (and also gives me more flexibility).

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Color Mod
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 04:44:53 PM »
The 0.0.1 is by design (as part of the modloader). The idea behind this is to prevent someone with a mod from accidentally joining a non modded game and having all sorts of problems (game desynch basically, for example, if a mod used a modified sheets or something that would cause problems). Instead of experiencing problems with the game desynching / crashing, the host will simply eject the player (because their version number is wrong).

There is an exported function from op2ext.dll, SetSerialNumber() that lets you set the version number to whatever you want. (So that all mods don't have to use 0.0.1 and thus risk conflicting with each other). It takes 3 chars as parameters and I believe it uses __cdecl calling convention.

Arklon, you could probably do something like the following to get it to work:
Code: [Select]
// Inside of mod_run in your op2mod.dll
HMODULE hmod = (HMODULE) GetModuleHandle("op2ext.dll");
void (__cdecl *SetSerialNumber)(char c1, char c2, char c3) = (void (__cdecl *)(char,char,char)) GetProcAddress(hmod, "SetSerialNumber");
SetSerialNumber(1,3,4);

to set it back to 1.3.4  for compatibility with the original game. If it crashes, change __cdecl to __stdcall.

If you're willing to wait for a while (probably a day or so), I can give you more elegant code that doesn't require nasty casting tricks like the above (obtain a function pointer and call it). (basically a header file and import library. I don't have those on my computer right now).
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 04:52:11 PM by BlackBox »

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Color Mod
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 05:46:22 PM »
If there's a way to retrieve the current game version, I'll wait. I'd rather not have to update this every time OP2 gets updated. :P

Offline Sirbomber

Color Mod
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 06:17:36 PM »
Hmmm... For me, it still tells me it's Version 1.3.4?

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Color Mod
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 06:26:08 PM »
Hmmm... For me, it still tells me it's Version 1.3.4?
I think it'll say 1.3.4 in one of the panes, but the actual version will get changed to 0.0.1.

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Color Mod
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2007, 04:15:57 PM »
Sorry for the double post, but I wanted the thread to be marked as "unread" again to get people's attention: I've updated the color mods so that people running them can play with people who are running different color mods or regular OP2. Redownload them using the links in my previous post.