Author Topic: Am?  (Read 2515 times)

Offline Combine Crusier

Am?
« on: June 22, 2007, 12:51:03 PM »
My translation or idea of an AM is this.

AM= None of your units can leave 25 tiles of the nearest allied or personal structure, also I see it as saying, none of your units can be within a 25 tile path distance of the clossest enemy structure.

Path as in how many squares can be traversed.
Fire at will!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Am?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 12:53:40 PM »
OK i dont think that is going to happen.  The way we have works.  You have to learn to play with us not try to change us.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 12:54:17 PM by Freeza-CII »

Offline Sirbomber

Am?
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 01:17:15 PM »
Attack mark means don't attack before the designated attack mark.
If the attack mark is mark 400, you may attack at mark 400, mark 401, mark 402, ... , but you may not attack at mark 399, 398, 397, ... , etc.

There are no limitations on where you can move unless there is impassible terrain in your way.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Psudomorph

Am?
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 08:35:33 PM »
Of course if you really see the need, I think you could always request with and agree on a distance restriction with the other players on a game by game basis.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 08:35:51 PM by Psudomorph »

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Am?
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 02:26:03 AM »
AM is viewed as the attack mark, and your not allowed to attack before the AM is up.

But every now and then you see a "bending" of the code of honor, with people placing flares/novas/adv labs in enemy bases next to important structures. Your not attacking them directly, but having a Nova next to your CC isn't exactly encouraging to a player..

Another possibility is to deny a player access to a certain area of the map by placing units there. This is quite annoying when your depending on a bottleneck for base defense and you opponent rushes for arms and places units there to keep the entrance un-defended. Or blocking the opposing player from vital ore..

Both examples is "legal" by the way we currently view "AM". However at the same time, it is bending the rule. And for the player on the recieving end it usually signals a quick death when the AM is up.. not to mention the frustration with it all.

Just because something is "set in stone" doesn't mean it could be changed for the better ;)
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline zanco

Am?
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 02:31:15 AM »
One Short thing AM being a certain value doesn't mean you HAVE to be defenseless. If you are not strong enough to make units to defend yourself before AM, then you do not deserve to play or to complain.
if anyone finds and communicate to us that which thus far has eluded our efforts, great will be our gratitude.
          Jakob Bernouilli

"Zanco`, n00b o' The Flares"

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Am?
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 11:19:45 AM »
So by your statement Zanco, all new players shouldn't be given a chance ?

If a player can't be left to peace until the AM is up, it is no purpose in it..

This isn't really a problem for me, since I can pretty much round up most players here with an outright rush (Or at least, I could do last time I played..), block the nearby mines or keep them inside their base with room to exapand.

To give an extreme example:

Pie Chart, Mark 500.
Highlander goes Plymouth, Player X goes Eden, since presumably, 500 marks is enough to get Eden's potential out.
By mark 100, Highlander has spread micro lynx on player X's backdoor and front door, blocking player X from expanding. Using a few 3 bars around the map, and placing vec facs by Player X's entrances, the game is decided before the AM is up, because player X can not reach the needed resources to survive.

Or you could do it by the other example. Most people don't expect an attack at mark 350 if the AM is 500, and most of their base un under defended, if defended at all. Just sneak in 5-6 Nova's/flares and place them along vital buildings. Shouldn't be hard at all since most people are quite busy building their base at the point.

I have done this to people on some occasions, and I've been on the recieving end. In either case someone will be very frustrated at least to put it mildly.

Personally, I won't place units inside an enemy base, and I will avoid limiting their expansion as far as I can and still ensure my own survival.
I know how frustrated I get when I have this done to me, and will probably just quit the game, knowing I'm just wasting time in the game..

Offline Sirbomber

Am?
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2007, 11:33:00 AM »
This topic is pretty much pointless when you know how it started:
The AM was 555 and I started moving units toward him at 520-ish. They got there around 560 and he complains that I'm breaking the AM becasue I built and sent units at him before 555.  Yes, he didn't even start building units until 555.

So the real question is, does an AM allow movement of units towards an enemy base as long as you don't attack?

By the way, if somebody sends a Nova into your base you can attack it.  It's called self defense.  If you don't and the AM comes and they detonate it you're an idiot.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Leviathan

Am?
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2007, 12:31:42 PM »
You should set the rules and make sure everyone is clear of them before you start a game.

If you want to not have other people camped outside your base untill the attack marks comes then set the rule that you cant leave your base area untill the attack mark is up and play with that.

Anyway most players are not playing with AM's. I suggest you learn to play without them. But yea some people will allways like long games..

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Am?
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2007, 12:44:40 PM »
Anyway most players are not playing with AM's. I suggest you learn to play without them. But yea some people will allways like long games..
... You obviously don't pay attention to any games that have been going on lately.

Offline zanco

Am?
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2007, 11:46:41 PM »
So by your statement Zanco, all new players shouldn't be given a chance ?

If a player can't be left to peace until the AM is up, it is no purpose in it..

No, I don't mean that. All I meant was, even if there is AM, you have to make sure you have a certain number of units in your base in the case that something happens. AM doesn't mean you don' t have any units and wait until the AM to build those. That's all I meant.
if anyone finds and communicate to us that which thus far has eluded our efforts, great will be our gratitude.
          Jakob Bernouilli

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Am?
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2007, 10:54:15 AM »

... You obviously don't pay attention to any games that have been going on lately.

Most games are played with an AM now arklon ?

Zanco, isn't that really the point with AM's.. ?
Nothing is supposed to happen until AM is up ?

I appreciate Bombers example, and wouldn't argue against his case, but if someone invades your base (fully or partially), before the AM is up, I would view that as a violation of the AM.

Offline zanco

Am?
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2007, 11:57:50 AM »
Of course the point of AM is not attacking enemy's base before the given time, BUT it doesn't mean I don' t have to build Military Units. That was my point. AM doesn't mean we start Building military units at that certain time, it just means we start Attacking at that time. Well, how can you start attacking at mark 300 if you haven't built some military units at 100 or 200? And those units are waiting to be dispatched near or in your base?
          Jakob Bernouilli

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Am?
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2007, 12:21:14 PM »
Ok Here is what occured by reading the logs.

Sirbomber sent Units to CombineCruisers base just before the mark knowing they would get there after the mark.

Then once the game is over the b****ing started Combine claims there to be bending of the rules and now wants it changed.

The Rules do not seem to be bent Even if there was a Nova out side there base.  A nova in side the base should get vaporized like Sirbomber said.  Even if there is a Nova out side the base you know where it is and where to set some units.