Author Topic: The Snail  (Read 12335 times)

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
The Snail
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2007, 10:21:01 PM »
Yep.
Get your ass back here, post some new models/renders, and that might change. :P
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 10:21:25 PM by Arklon »

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
The Snail
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2007, 04:43:10 PM »
lol.

I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned the reavers from Starcraft. They made it work, but then Starcraft seemed to have more of a fantasy element to it than OP2.

Maybe what we need is a warthog. Or something that looks like a puma....  :P  

Offline Combine Crusier

The Snail
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2008, 01:58:44 PM »
Seeing as this post is still open I will not create a new unit topic.

I have a proposal for a dual weapon lynx.

Puma
Stats: Eden / Plymouth
HP: 480
Armor: Light
Speed:Fast
Transportation: 6 wheels
FP: 2 weapons: -20% ROF (Due to shared components)
Common Ore: N/A
Rare Ore: N/A

It would essentialy be a heavy fast attack vehicle with enough firepower to take other foes as long as it is evading their fire but gets toasted when it holds position. Hmm. More guns for less armor. IE less armor than an upgraded lynx.
Fire at will!

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
The Snail
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2008, 03:02:50 PM »
Seeing as this post is still open I will not create a new unit topic.

I have a proposal for a dual weapon lynx.

Puma
Stats: Eden / Plymouth
HP: 480
Armor: Light
Speed:Fast
Transportation: 6 wheels
FP: 2 weapons: -20% ROF (Due to shared components)
Common Ore: N/A
Rare Ore: N/A

It would essentialy be a heavy fast attack vehicle with enough firepower to take other foes as long as it is evading their fire but gets toasted when it holds position. Hmm. More guns for less armor. IE less armor than an upgraded lynx.
No, no uberified units from my modification of Plymouth Cold War.

Offline Combine Crusier

The Snail
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2008, 06:57:24 PM »
What??? Plymouth Cold War Puma's??? Have to play it I guess.
No wonder my multitek seemed so UBER!
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 06:58:08 PM by Combine Crusier »
Fire at will!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
The Snail
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2008, 07:41:16 PM »
Name theif :P

this idea isnt good there should only be one dual turret and that is the tiger.

Offline Hidiot

The Snail
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2008, 11:44:59 AM »
What was the maximum number of turrets suggested for a weapon up 'till now?

Cause going on that principle.. why not make a 4-squared fortress with 3-4 guns on it and make it a guard post?

Although, for the sake of adding some military diversity... has there been at least 1 new chassis added?
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline 4302062

The Snail
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2008, 08:49:14 PM »
I did actualy hear of a veichle that uses that type (rougfly) of locomotion to traverse the terain in the jungle, by using flex-lon(flexable teflon and a tons of micro-hooks that can be withdrawn into tiny "pores" and hydrolics going in a "wormy" motion.

and why 980 HP?
big words make me feel speciel

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
The Snail
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2008, 08:29:08 PM »
its best not to really question this idea. It wasnt really liked.  I dont think the guy that made it up shows any more. oh well.

Offline Combine Crusier

The Snail
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2008, 10:09:06 AM »
Oh really?

I do see that this topic is something that needs to be pitched in the fire... I'm not even going to bother explaining it any further, it's not like it is being implemented anyhow.
Fire at will!

Offline Fenrisul

The Snail
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2008, 10:15:42 AM »
Oh really?

I do see that this topic is something that needs to be pitched in the fire... I'm not even going to bother explaining it any further, it's not like it is being implemented anyhow.
As long as you keep it in your heart...  its still alive.  It may be dumb as hell - but alive.

Offline Sirbomber

The Snail
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2008, 10:59:47 AM »
As long as you keep it in your heart...  its still alive.  It may be dumb as hell - but alive.
May be?  Hmm, there shouldn't be any doubt here.  ;)
Anyways, nice to see you again, Combine.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Combine Crusier

The Snail
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2008, 10:07:50 AM »
Yes. I moved then my computer began shutting itself off and the problems been narrowed down to three things hard drive, wall outlet, power strip. Quite frankly it's annoying when you're playing a game you can't save and your computer just shuts off.
Fire at will!

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
The Snail
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2008, 02:24:47 PM »
Heh, out of boredom I read the whole thread :P

The idea in itself isn't so bad. The Belts/Tracks will always be the weakest part of the tiger/tank. If you had them armored the vehicle would be harder to disable.

Perhaps not such a good idea to create a new vehicle type, but could be an optional research. Increase HP/Armor but lose speed of the unit.
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
The Snail
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2008, 03:05:02 PM »
You should never have techs that downgrade a unit. You should only open up the possibility of a new option so the player can decide based on their current resources and situation what would be the most beneficial to build.

Besides, wouldn't such a large reduction in speed already be like it's been disabled?If a tank losing it's treads is such a bad thing, why would you ever design a tank that can barely move even before it gets hit.

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
The Snail
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2008, 02:09:39 PM »
You should never have techs that downgrade a unit. You should only open up the possibility of a new option so the player can decide based on their current resources and situation what would be the most beneficial to build.

Besides, wouldn't such a large reduction in speed already be like it's been disabled?If a tank losing it's treads is such a bad thing, why would you ever design a tank that can barely move even before it gets hit.
Give it a new name or something then ? Have something like "Armoured Tiger" etc appear in Vec fac.

Not exactly the same thing this, but you currently have somewhat the same thing in the game already with the Reinforced Vehicle Construction research (The one leading to tiger research). Here Cargo trucks get extra armour, but you have to have rare in order to build them. If you don't have or lose your rare it means your kinda messed up ?

I'm no expert on this field, but I think the reason tanks today are being developed with emphasis on speed is because of Aerial weaponry. A tank is no match for a airplane or helicopter. Thus it has to be fast to avoid being hit to easily.

In OP2/OP3 there are no aerial units (?), thus a heavily armed vehicle which can withstand a lot of enemy fire without taking too much damage or being disabled would certainly have it's advantages.

Only example I can come up with from the top of my head would be the Panther or Tiger tanks from Germany during 2nd World War. They were so heavily armed most shots from Allied forces would just be deflected or do minimal damage. Panthers and Tigers often served as spearheads in attacks on defense lines,  or as mobile defense positions dug into the ground at strategic positions. Allied commanders usually preferred going in wide circles around these tanks instead of engaging them, or only attacked when they had an advantage in numbers and could just pummel the Panthers/Tigers from all sides until they broke down/got destroyed.

No point discussing the pro's and con's of old tanks I guess, but I just wanted to press the point about the Strategical Niche such a vehicle could potentially fill.  
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
The Snail
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2008, 02:45:50 PM »
Yeah, just to be clear on this, I've always considered that cargo truck upgrade that makes them require rare ore to be a big mistake. I really think that part of the game should have been designed differently. I find the direct effects of that tech to be more detrimental than helpful actually. It's not like your cargo trucks are designed to spearhead attacks. They're usually fast enough to run from disasters, and the enchancement doesn't change their survivability significantly, even if they can't get away.