Author Topic: Colossus  (Read 3669 times)

Offline Combine Crusier

Colossus
« on: May 21, 2007, 08:25:32 AM »
Ok. For some time I've been working on a HUGE map that uses (I think) the 1056 by 1056 tile map, I've been able to get about 90% of the tiles drawn so far and I have a general idea of where the objects will be placed......... but I don't have the programming equipmant for the .dll required for the map.  I will try to get it done ASAP for you to look at........ I love OP2!
Fire at will!

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Colossus
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 09:36:26 AM »
Keep up the work CC !
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Colossus
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 02:50:51 PM »
I'm really not trying to burst your bubble (honest), but maps greater than 512 tiles wide will crash OP2.

The (suspected) reason for this is the fact that OP2 assumes any map >= 512 is a globe map (wraps around, like AtW).

We might at some point be able to force the game to treat the map as a non-wrapping map and thus be able to load things larger than 512 width. (Or fix the bug that causes the crash in the first place)

So you have two options at the moment: either you will need to downsize your map to 512 tiles wide (the height is still not a problem. a 512x1024 map would work perfectly fine) or you will need to wait for a fix (that might not come for quite a while).

Figured I would say this before you get any further and realize that a 1024x1024 map isn't going to work as expected. (So you don't waste time laying out tiles and then try to load the map just to have the game crash).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 02:52:02 PM by op2hacker »

Offline Sirbomber

Colossus
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 02:51:26 PM »
Doesn't OP2 crash if you go above the world map dimensions (because it tries to double-wrap the map and self-destructs)?

Edit: Oops, Hacker beat me to it.
Edit 2: Split it into several different maps? For now anyways.
Remember that they'll be world maps though, so make sure the edges all connect.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 04:22:57 PM by Sirbomber »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Combine Crusier

Colossus
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 05:06:07 PM »
!!!! Crahses!!!!!!!!! Why is it an option then, also I noticed when I try to use any other terrain form other than blue to create the map in the editor it crashes........... I hope that the problem will be fixed soon because the map will be......... most interesting.

I will begin work on a smaller map that will work but as I said............ I can't make the dlls.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 05:06:48 PM by Combine Crusier »
Fire at will!

Offline Sirbomber

Colossus
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 05:29:01 PM »
!!!! Crahses!!!!!!!!! Why is it an option then[?]
Because those dimensions work for the y-axis, but not for the x-axis, and if you had maybe read some stuff before rushing into a map you might have known about some of OP2's limitations.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Colossus
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 08:04:51 PM »
Because the choices for map sizes were made before we were aware of the x-axis limitation.

Yes, this isn't polished software .. there are some rough spots (that is one of them).

Keep in mind that the developers never intended for the end user to make their own maps / missions. That means we have to fill in the rough spots ourselves (and our 'solutions' aren't always the correct / best ones, so it takes some refining to make anything polished-looking).

Offline Combine Crusier

Colossus
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 07:28:53 AM »
Why do volcanos never erupt in multiplayer, and where's the blight in multiplayer?
Fire at will!

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Colossus
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 09:34:24 AM »
Every single volcano in the game is just a picture, they have to be individually coded to erupt. Many volcanoes in multiplayer were never coded to erupt.

The blight is also something that has to be coded in to the game.

I think Dynamix didn't add lava or the blight because it would prevent the players from beating each other into the dust effectively.

Offline Sirbomber

Colossus
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 02:34:43 PM »
Some maps do have erupting volcanoes, and some have Blight.
But nobody plays those.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Colossus
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 08:19:07 PM »
bomber, do any of the official op2 MP maps have blight?  I've never seen it on any
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Sirbomber

Colossus
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2007, 03:43:01 PM »
Nah, but my/our Survivor maps do.
You know, I'd actually expect an LoS/LR/SR gametype to be more popular than it is.  Maybe we're bad at advertising it?

Offline Tellaris

Colossus
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2007, 05:18:52 PM »
I don't think it has so much to do with advertising, its more like theres no real pressure like what you get in the campaign.    Even if you end up in an FFA, most of the time, people won't waste their resources on an expensive attack. Team based, most people simply kill off the other team then leave.   The blight's growth is slow enough that you can finish off almost the entire tech tree and get your starship done before you even have to worry about the blight.    Not to mention all you have to do is simply drive to the other side of the planet, build up, then leave.   No real pressure.
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Colossus
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2007, 07:55:31 PM »
I like the survivor map with the AI. Can't remember the name though, but I lie that one.

Perhaps do a map with 2 AI's (Co-operating ply and eden ?)
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline Sirbomber

Colossus
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2007, 09:12:46 PM »
We'd love to, but AI doesn't just grow on trees.
And if you think it's too easy, play with Low Resources and Morale Unsteady.
Yes, it can be done.

Of course, I'm open to other ideas as to how we can encourage combat.  Though maybe this belongs in another discussion.  Personally, I think there are too many high yield mines.  The story suggests that most mines on New Terra are the in-game equivalents of one bars and two bars with the three bars in very dangerous areas.

Edit: However, about the spread speed, please remember that if the Blight was any slower or faster it would inexplicably stop moving.  So there are technical reasons behind the slow spread speed.  Though I honestly agree with you.  There should be less ore, more evacuations, and you should be forced to evacuate more frequently.  Problem is, that would take a very large map.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 09:19:54 PM by Sirbomber »