Poll

Should "Maesis" be a colony with ALL or Almost ALL its Units Leg-based?

Yes, it will kill the monotony of Wheeled Vehicles in the game.
3 (23.1%)
Maybe; let's have a preset Mixture of units.
2 (15.4%)
Maybe, let the Player choose along the Tech tree which type of units he/she wants to have.
7 (53.8%)
No, It is unrealistic, difficult, <disagreeing arguments>.
1 (7.7%)
Let's discuss this matter some more.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Multi-ped Units For A Colony  (Read 7865 times)

Offline zanco

Multi-ped Units For A Colony
« on: May 16, 2007, 09:16:01 PM »
This Poll mainly refers to Freeza-CII idea.

If you are not familiar with it, I suggest doing some reading here (ignorance won't be tolerated). Furthermore, Freeza-CII applied him/herself on providing us with rather interesting rendition.

So here it is. Would it be a good idea to have the Maesis colony, which we will rename later, use Multi-Ped Units as  opposed to Wheeled Units?

Vote wisely. The Poll will be opened only for 2 weeks.
If you come up with another well defined and concise alternative, which isn't included in the poll, post it.

Starting Date: Wednesday, May 16th, 2007.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 09:18:30 PM by zanco »
if anyone finds and communicate to us that which thus far has eluded our efforts, great will be our gratitude.
          Jakob Bernouilli

"Zanco`, n00b o' The Flares"

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 03:26:57 PM »
I don't think ALL the units should be legged. For example, anything that has to carry lots of weight (like a cargo truck or whatever the analogue of it is) shouldn't be run on legs (should use wheels or tracks).

I think smaller units like scouts, surveyors, and maybe lighter weapons could be legged. I do think there should probably be a reason for having legged units (that and you need a decent explanation to the player of the Maesis colony and how it got there). Perhaps if they are in very mountainous regions where other types of vehicles would be less suitable.

As mentioned before, they would need to be fragile but cheap. Each individual can be easy to kill but you need to make up for that in numbers to balance it with the other colonies.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 10:36:10 PM »
Why exactly do they need to be so fraile.  The Leg joint would be the strongest part of the legs as it has to endure so much shock.  The legs would have to have some plating because of the internals.  I think it would be better game wise to have them be on par with there counter parts the lynx panther and tiger.  Or else if there so frail you have to come up with a bunch of weak ass weapons instead of weapons at are simular or have around the same damage for there counter parts of the same tech level.  Plus if there are in a mountanous region that requires legs you cant have wheeled/tracked units.

I see the let the player choose which tech tree they want wheeled or legged.  Which seems to me a polite way of saying we dont want it and we will never choose it.  Pretty much making it useless.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 10:40:13 PM by Freeza-CII »

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 07:21:15 AM »
If there's no difference between legged and tracked/wheeled vehicles, then why bother have them. Why make them graphically different if they're just the same unit?

It is possible to balance the game, even when two colonies are different. Take StarCraft for example. It has three very different races, but they're balanced quite well. It makes for far more interesting game play, than say, the original WarCraft where both races are essentially equivalent.

If the point of them developing legged vehicles is to navigate rough terrain that other vehicles aren't suited for, then they should certainly get a movement bonus of some kind, at least on the rought terrain they were meant for.  

Offline Combine Crusier

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 08:32:46 AM »
Freeza-CII I have observed that it appears to be human instinct to hate change........... I must not be HUMAN!

I want legged vehicles! Ok here's the thing.... spiders are smaller so they're more fragile however these units will be large enough to have the HP and armor of heavy vehicles and they will still use legs thus giving them the same bonus of the spider type vehicles..... I think. Also an advantage to being legged is that they are taller thus a longer LOS and they might be able to shoot over walls with ALL types of guns. I'm not sure that's what I think though..... It's Freeza CII's idea though.

And about the statement Hooman posted
 "If there's no difference between legged and tracked/wheeled vehicles, then why bother have them. Why make them graphically different if they're just the same unit? "
 If they were different people would argue that there is an unbalance and wouldn't want it then...... You keep pushing ideas into a pincer point where it can't go either way..... AARRRGGG!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 08:37:47 AM by Combine Crusier »
Fire at will!

Offline Combine Crusier

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 10:09:02 AM »
Hey Freeza-CII if it is implemented and the player does have a choice..... Expect walkers on the field when I'm in it!
Fire at will!

Offline zanco

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 08:11:10 PM »
Is it me? or Interest in this topic has been lost?

Hooman made a great point, but again, people want some kind of diversity... don't they?
if anyone finds and communicate to us that which thus far has eluded our efforts, great will be our gratitude.
          Jakob Bernouilli

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 07:58:10 PM »
I've always been facinated with the legged robotics and was disappointed with how under-used they are.  I say we need some expansion into this possible tech tree for this project
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline zanco

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 01:39:13 PM »
It looks like on 13 people are interested into voting.
That's good enough. Thank you for posting and voting.
          Jakob Bernouilli