Author Topic: Multiped Vehicles  (Read 14420 times)

Offline Combine Crusier

Multiped Vehicles
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2007, 10:33:30 AM »
Hey Tramis I thought that Genisis was the title of the game (Outpost 3 Genisis)
Fire at will!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Multiped Vehicles
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2007, 11:53:05 AM »
Now your just thinking to much earth.

Remember they have a Cool fusion reactor or 2 to draw power from and move the damn things.  There not going to be bounding like deer in a medow but they will be fast enough.  Plus a colony that has legged vec for the majority a wheel vec would look very out of place.

As for the ground There were 2 explainations for the need for walker style units.

1.  The planet is too rough and completely destroys wheels and tracks.  
OR
2.  The particular place where they landed was to hard on the wheels.

# 2 is the most likely.  Why would the land there.  Well from orbit it may have appeared better then it actually is.

Offline Combine Crusier

Multiped Vehicles
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2007, 08:14:19 AM »
Da....... Like they landed in a previously volcanic area which formed stalagmites.. Or something close to it.
Fire at will!

Offline Combine Crusier

Multiped Vehicles
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2007, 08:51:49 AM »
Idea for names:
Basic MLAV: Black Bear
Standard MLAV: Brown Bear
Advanced MLAV: Grizzly Bear
Fire at will!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Multiped Vehicles
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2007, 06:58:09 PM »
i dont much like those names.  Being that they all have BEAR in them and there 2 words.

Ill think of some names later.  But keep trying maybe youll hit the mark.

And these arent MLAVs.

Offline Combine Crusier

Multiped Vehicles
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2007, 12:39:19 PM »
Da............ I'm just using MLAV to mark that I'm naming the combat walkers....

Fire at will!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Multiped Vehicles
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2007, 01:56:00 PM »
Given the Attack units have a reverse knee or as i call them (Chicken Walkers).  The Animal there named after would have simular properties.  

i would avoid using names like T-Rex and such.

Now I have the rest of the vecs done.  I would like to state there isnt a bull dozer tho.  Why because they wouldnt need it with all the walker units.  Ill post the pics at some point.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 02:01:09 PM by Freeza-CII »

Offline zanco

Multiped Vehicles
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2007, 08:59:41 PM »
Alright, Freeza-CII idea seems descent.
We will run a poll to really know those type of units should be used in OP3 (for the soon to be renamed Maesis colony). Another alternative would be having the opportunity along the tech tree to choose between legged vehicles and wheeled vehicles.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 09:02:46 PM by zanco »
if anyone finds and communicate to us that which thus far has eluded our efforts, great will be our gratitude.
          Jakob Bernouilli

"Zanco`, n00b o' The Flares"

Offline RockNavator

• http://www.rocknavator.outpost-universe.net
Multiped Vehicles
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2007, 01:24:48 PM »
Sorry I am late getting in on this thread. It has been too long since I got on the forums. I just had a quick thought regarding the reason they landed in such a crappy place. It could be very similiar to armegedon where they landed amongst the barbs. I only forget the reason why they landed short of their desired location.

I forgot to say that the reason that the developed the legged vechs was because of a crappy lz. But later on they legs wouldn't make them uber because the general topology of the planet doesn't favor either legs or wheels. Therefore neither would have an un fair advantage. only enough advantage to balance the disadvantage of their starting points. This would call for a mixture of legged and other locomotion as once they are out of the lz and the terrain has changed they could easily begin to use wheels/tracks where it was more beneficial(i.e. cargo trucks, tigers)

As a side note: on my way to work i saw a vech somewhat like a cherry picker that had six legs. looked almost like a spider. That goes to prove that in a world where wheels seem to make the best sense, there are practicle applications of legged vechs. This cherry picker was being used to walk between buildings and the court yard while working on 2/3 story balcony railings that needed to be welded.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 01:32:41 PM by RockNavator »

Offline chicer_mister

Multiped Vehicles
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2007, 02:41:55 PM »
where's the poll gonna be

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Multiped Vehicles
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2007, 02:51:21 PM »
Even if they did land in the badlands, why couldn't they just move to a place with more tame terrain, which would increase all-around efficiency of the colony? Or, if the whole planet was badlands, why couldn't they just level the damn terrain? They'd probably make legged units for exploration outside of the main colony area, but everything being legged sounds a bit inefficient. Colony/base units in OP2 already seem too slow, particularly the Earthworker. I don't like this idea of establishing certain conditions and ignoring some simpler alternatives to attempt to give a colony certain units.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 03:01:20 PM by Arklon »

Offline Combine Crusier

Multiped Vehicles
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2007, 12:20:16 PM »
Think of this Arklon, the Maesis land in a crater that has a relativly flat environment in the middle but around the edges of this OLD crater the terrain is so hostile that it can't even be buldozed, OP 1.5 had Impassable terrain which you could be surrounded by but in that game there were no legged units, also if you're going make seperate outposts, like a mining colony, you'd need legged construction vehicles to leave the main colony.

My opinion / idea of a senario where legged units would be vital.
Fire at will!

Offline Marukasu

Multiped Vehicles
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2007, 03:24:04 AM »
Okay the walkers bug the hell out of me!
Most of those designs have some serious problems!

#1 A bipedal walker would have some serious problems with balance.
#2 Most of the walkers shown here have to fragile of legs to support them even on a low gravity planet. Also even if the legs could support the some how most damage dealt to the legs would ultimately be stacked with the weight of the load there carrying.
#3 A for legged design would have fewer problems. However you would still have the problem with damage on even one leg ruling the vehicle almost useless.

Any robot with fewer than 5 legs would be immobile after even one leg(exept three legged because you can make a slow moving design that can adapt its movment after a leg has been destroyed)
Also a four legged one may be able to walk on to if it is flexible enough.

However a six legged walker could handle 2-3 legs destroyed before it might become immobile.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 03:27:17 AM by Marukasu »

Offline Pirogoeth

Multiped Vehicles
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2007, 05:29:54 PM »
my personal opinion, no offense to Freeza, is that there has been too much watching of Star Wars: The Empire Strikes back, or that someone has far too much a liking for Plymouths spiders. Multi-ped vehicles would simply be of the arachnid class, no?

its not that I'm against change, but one of the major things that I like about OP2, is that the vehicle classes don't change that much, save for Plymouth's addition of the arachnid class, adn the different weapon turrets. they both have ConVecs, and they both have Cargo trucks and etc. etc. its really easy to go from Eden, to Plymouth, then back to Eden without forgetting what does what when. Having Maesis only have vehicles of the arachnid class would make it terminally difficult for n00bies be bale to remember what the equivalent of a ConVec is, or what the equivalent of a cargo truck is, or whatever. I agree, that there should definitely be more of the arachnid class, potentially some of which available only to Maesis while others to Plymouth, but I dont think that there should be a colony which has ONLY vehicles of the Arachnid class.. especially since their only good thing is that they cannot be EMP'd and can be rapid-spawned for a relatively cheep price.
The civil war has begun....

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Multiped Vehicles
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2007, 08:51:00 PM »
Yes its always assumed that the legs would be so weak.  Walkers today have these problems because we lack the technology to make them better.  Remember these people can build Space ships I am sure they can makes some legs that can take a beating before failure.  I do Agree that Balance is a problem with the legs but adding that aspect of a legged vec would seem to be to much realism.  Because One could have the wheeled vecs blowing a track or a wheel or being flipped.  And you wouldnt add that for them so I dont think that needs to be added for walkers.  

Before you knock the images there just my concepts of my idea not a game model just some thing for some one to work off of if they are interested.

Oh ya i dont really like star wars.  And no there not Arachnid class.  There size is comparable to there counter part units of other colonies.

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Multiped Vehicles
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2007, 09:49:08 PM »
I normally wouldn't post in a Genesis thread, since I don't want to deal with the debating. However, the military does use walkers today. They just happen to be much smaller than what is proposed in this thread:

Click.

As seen in that video, balance has been solved already; that robot was doing it on its own. But, I'm still missing an answer to the structural issues.

Offline Marukasu

Multiped Vehicles
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2007, 10:17:40 AM »
Yes its always assumed that the legs would be so weak. Walkers today have these problems because we lack the technology to make them better. Remember these people can build Space ships I am sure they can makes some legs that can take a beating before failure.

Regardless of how resistant the legs would be, a treaded vehicle with the same amount and type of armer would be faster and more resistant. And besides if you heavily armor the legs then the bodies armor would suffer(and the legs target would become less valid). The reason why the op vehicles are so resiliant is because they are built with redundant means of travel(meaning that if one part is destroyed its not the end.) Also the walker just doesn't fit with the survival feel were the vehicles have to be cheap, fast and durable.  Walkers aren't bad but they don't work as well as other types do.

Also wheeled vehicles are extremly much so more simple than legged and well legged vehicles take longer. I like spiders but the only reason why they can build the so fast is because they have an entire factory dedicated to building just that one chassis.

I normally wouldn't post in a Genesis thread, since I don't want to deal with the debating. However, the military does use walkers today. They just happen to be much smaller than what is proposed in this thread

like spiders are in op2? :D
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 10:28:49 AM by Marukasu »