Author Topic: Windows Vista  (Read 3262 times)

Offline White Claw

Windows Vista
« on: March 03, 2007, 04:10:17 PM »
Well, I finally got a new computer. It has Vista on it and I haven't yet figured out how to get it to talk to my Win98 comp (which also acts as the internet gateway).  <_<

The help files aren't very helpful...  :P

Anyone with Vista experience?

Offline Mez

Windows Vista
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 02:55:39 AM »
Don't count on it.  Most of us won't be using it for at least another 2, if not 4 months (i.e. after the first service pack)

Offline Savant 231-A

• https://www.outpost2.net
Windows Vista
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 03:09:13 AM »
Hey! I wanted to post this topic! LOL, Topic Stealer...

Never mind.
he people who use Win. Vista, say that:

You must have direct x9 compactible graphics card,
good and strong procesor.
And you shouldn't buy it (for now)
Why?

Windows has made a screw up, somehow, both computers must have vista, or some crazy hardware to comunicate (?!)
And, it sometimes crashes becuse it is unstable, especially on older computers. If i were you, i would wait few more month, unitl those bugs are fixed and than buy it.

And some older games, won't work. And much programs won't work....

Hmm... i'm reading some Anti-Vista pages....
Ah.
"your graphics card will not able to support the vista's 3d desktop, and your computer will fall down through a sewer pipe"

"But, even though this system meets Intel's recommendations for a Vista-capable Intel Professional Business Platform, it still doesn't have the graphics horsepower needed to carry off Vista's much ballyhooed three-dimensional Aero Glass interface. "

""Suck" is a relative term, though. Vista will be better than XP, which has easily been Microsoft's best desktop operating system to date. "

"Vista is more expensive."

Here you go.
Here are the bad sides of VISTA
 :evil laugh:  :evil laugh:  :evil laugh:

Now u find the good sides (if there are any) :hack:

Gordon Freeman, and mr. Crowbar would own Master Chief in any part of the day.
"Come here citizen."

"From the ashes of the collapse we seek to build a better world for all."

Offline White Claw

Windows Vista
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 06:39:20 AM »
Yeah, and everyone said Windows 3.1 sucked when it came out but yet we're still using Windows.

Windows 3.1 doesn't have graphics horsepower to do crap.
Many of my DOS games don't work right under Win 3.1
Win 3.1 brings my computer to a crawl and it takes for ever to boot.

(I guess some things never change.)

Anyhow, I'm able to connect to my Win 98 PC from my Vista PC by typing in the name of the computer in the run menu (which is actually now a search container of some sort). i.e. \\Computer-Name
The Win 98 computer still isn't able to see the Vista computer, but I'm going to try adding a user account to Vista and see if that fixes it.

In either case, the Vista machine is not seeing the IP of the Gateway (but I can transfer files). So I may need to get new router software or something. And neither Vista or the 98 machine see eachother in the network browse.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Windows Vista
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 08:24:33 AM »
NetBIOS (the name service used to convert the windows computer names to IP addresses) has always been flaky for me, regardless of which windows version I am using.

I do know this -- firewalls wreak havoc with NetBIOS name lookups, partly because NetBIOS isn't a separate application to 'block' or 'unblock' -- it's done by system components.

If you type \\ip.of.computer\ you should be able to get a list of shares. And it seems NetBIOS is half-working because you could get to it by \\computername\.

As far as I'm concerned, I would just dump Vista and just reinstall XP. The only reason I can see anyone needing Vista in the near future is for DX10 support.

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Windows Vista
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 08:32:36 AM »
afaik nobody that does serious networking with windows (thats an oxymoron if i ever heard one...) has had vista cross their minds. Server 2003 is pretty much it until something proven better comes along or else everyone I know, even the die-hard windows server fanatics plan to switch to linux. vista is designed to look pretty and turn a PC into an appliance that looks sweet sitting in your entertainment center, its NOT a server platform. XP was the same but its by far the lesser of two evils.

Im never using vista, ever. ill stick with Xp and when that finally goes out the window i will use pure linux.

Offline White Claw

Windows Vista
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 08:36:05 AM »
I never said I was setting up a server. I just bought a new computer and it came with Vista. I'm trying to get it to talk to my Win 98 computer (which isn't close to capable of running Vista). The Win98 comp also happens to be the computer that's connected to the internet. Win 2000 & Win 98 communicated fine before. I just can't figure out which box I need to check...

Offline Mez

Windows Vista
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007, 11:30:23 AM »
You will probably find that 98 and vista, wont talk to each other!

But don't quote me on this.

Microsoft have changed how their networking configuration & setup works (rewritten it from scratch), so thats probably your issue.

If you can't find a solution on google, or experts exchange etc, then you might have to buy a box that takes your internet connection and connect it to your network. e.g. A cable/dsl modem with Ethernet out, or a new router with it built in!

Offline White Claw

Windows Vista
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2007, 11:52:04 AM »
Yeah, that's what I seem to be running into reading other forums. Seems like people have been having problems even getting XP and Vista to talk.

I love technology...

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Windows Vista
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2007, 02:26:18 PM »
I cant believe some people didnt see this coming...

Offline White Claw

Windows Vista
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2007, 03:36:03 PM »
Holy crap it's a miracle. I am typing this from my Vista machine through my previous setup. I still can't browse the network from the Win98 machine and see the Vista machine, but I now have proof that they're talking.  (thumbsup)  

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Windows Vista
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2007, 05:01:23 PM »
i can yell pig latin at a guy who speaks japanese all day, doesnt mean he'll know that im telling him not to eat the Salisbury steak!

Offline White Claw

Windows Vista
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2007, 06:54:57 PM »
Well, I'm slowly figuring it out. I had to install some level 2 security stuff on the 98 machine that allows it to talk at a higher security level. Plus Vista seems to have several layers of security built in including a built in Windows firewall. Not to mention that my package deal also came with McAfee personal firewall.

So the bottom line really is that it seems you have to do a lot more adminstration in sharing a simple directory than before. And it seems a bit more involved than a unix type envrionment also.

All in all, I can't say I'm disappointed in the level of protection. It's just not very straight forward for simple network user. I don't think someone should have to have a networking certificate just to hook up computer A to computer B with a simple hub.

Now I just have to turn off the cache on my proxy so my darn web pages will self update.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 06:55:29 PM by White Claw »

Offline Oprime

• http://Moogleforest.net
Windows Vista
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2007, 05:44:14 PM »
Hmmm, did you say you have another firewall running? Thats probly the issue. Having 2 firewalls running at the same time is like having a car with 2 steering wheels. One for the driver and the other for the guy in the back that says the first guy can't drive.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 05:45:43 PM by Oprime »
CPU: AMD Phenom II 940BE
RAM: Patriot Viper 4GB (2GB x2) DDR2 1066Mhz
Motherboard: MSI K9A2 Platinum
Case: Thermaltake Armor Plus+
Power Supply: Themermatake ToughPower 1200Watt PSU
Hard Drive: Fujitsu 15k SAS SCSI 74GB/148GB Raid 0 @ 189MBps
Moniter: LG Flatron 20.1in Widescreen LCD 8ms 1400:1 Contrast ratio w/ F engine
GFX Card: 4 ATI Radeon 4870 1GB GDDR5 CrossFireX
DVD Burners: 2x SONY DVD-RW
Speakers[/b] Logitech Z-5500 505Watt 5.1 Surround
CPU Heatsink[/b]ZeroTerm NV120
OS[/b]Windows Vista Home Premium x64
:P I'm a Hardware freak ><

Offline White Claw

Windows Vista
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2007, 07:18:56 PM »
Well, I didn't say I had two firewalls running. I just said there were two of them. (one is deactivated) For some reason, I'm not able to browse the network from either computer successfully. They don't see eachother in the browse. (That's not totally true anymore either, but it's hard to explain. :blink: )

However, they do talk to eachother as I am able to pass files back and forth. I can browse the other computer if I go to the "run" command and type "\\computer.name". It does also work if I type in the IP address. I just have to do a lot more administration on Vista than what was/is needed on 98/2000.