Author Topic: A Solution To Blight  (Read 3096 times)

Offline Savant 231-A

• https://www.outpost2.net
A Solution To Blight
« on: February 17, 2007, 02:56:32 PM »
'Boptronics' referes to hybrid devices and systems which use eletronic, BIOLOGICAL and optical components.

Now...

Blight infects everything organic and destroys anything artificial (metals....) Unfortunatly, due to the advent of the Blight on New Terra, vehicles and Savant Series computers infected with the blight are no longer able to function or respond properly and view any movement as threatening.

One of possible solutions: Disbanding Boptronics and using standard devices and sytems wich use optical and electronical systems.

(crazy thought but, might actually work)

Note: This solution will make vechicles a little bit more resistant to blight.
Note: This is just a thing i posted, NOT a idea to include in op2

Gordon Freeman, and mr. Crowbar would own Master Chief in any part of the day.
"Come here citizen."

"From the ashes of the collapse we seek to build a better world for all."

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
A Solution To Blight
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 02:58:42 PM »
The blight consumes even complex polymers including plastics (wire covering) and other synthetic materials (nearly everything in machinery).

The solution to the blight is to leave the planet.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 02:59:05 PM by dm-horus »

Offline Savant 231-A

• https://www.outpost2.net
A Solution To Blight
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 03:02:53 PM »
Yeah, but they could have left the planet much earlier if they considered this idea... the vech is more resistant, it pickes an Artefact (something important (wreckage)) and leave. I didn't mean "hey we ain't got the botptronics anymore, let's stay here" lol
Gordon Freeman, and mr. Crowbar would own Master Chief in any part of the day.
"Come here citizen."

"From the ashes of the collapse we seek to build a better world for all."

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
A Solution To Blight
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 04:45:11 PM »
all their technology is biased on boptronics, having them get rid of it would be like us having to get rid of transistors, we can't, and we don't live on an alien planet with harsh conditions that require high technology to survive.
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
A Solution To Blight
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 05:21:54 PM »
I fail to see how this would make vehicles more resistant. Just, they wouldn't become hostile. But the blight never sends attack forces out of the bases it overruns, so this really wouldn't do much.

And yeah, the vehicles you send into the blight infested base to transmit data back out supposedly were made more resistant, but how come the blight infested vehicles in the base were ...blight infested? Every other vehicle that comes in contact wit it just get destroyed. Seems like a small hole in the story, but I've never heard anyone complain before.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
A Solution To Blight
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 07:42:45 PM »
perhaps that early after its release the blight was not strong enough to completely destroy the vehicles

or perhaps after a bit, a new strain with an even higher metabolic rate evolved, and because it was able to reproduce faster it quickly overwhelmed the original strain of blight, and with the enhanced metabolic system it would be able to destroy vehicles much more quickly

just off the top of my head
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
A Solution To Blight
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 10:34:29 PM »
Vehicles aren't actually supposed to be destroyed by the Blight. OP2's developers just made that happen since they didn't have the time to work in the Microbe threat of the campaign.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 10:34:44 PM by Arklon »

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
A Solution To Blight
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 07:03:11 PM »
Also it seems like theres a level of chance. the way the blight affects the computers would vary and perhaps 1 out of every dozen arent destroyed. but i do think arklon is most likely correct.

Offline Chandler

A Solution To Blight
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 08:16:51 PM »
I'll have to find the reference, but in the novella, the reason why the blight affects vehicles is because of the door/hatch seals. The blight CANNOT eat through metal, it only eats through anything organic, such as plastics (AKA hyrdocarbons), which is what the door/hatch seals are made of. Once inside the vehicle, it affects the boptronic systems and basically takes over the vehicle.
Chandler

Offline Luke

A Solution To Blight
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 11:11:47 AM »
I agree with Chandler, I have been reading the novellas and remember the exact same thing.

Lil Komos, scientist in an Eden Hot Lab:
"It grows too fast, but Nguyen wasn't willing to wait. 'An atmosphere in our lifetime,' he said… attacks organics, protein units in boptronic computers, even the plastics in our environmental seals."

The microbe that escaped the Eden lab is apparently capable of consuming polymers, plastics and organic tissue but is not capable of eroding metallic or silicon-based components in the same manner. Computer systems (particularly those used to control various automated vehicles and the Savant Series of computers) are left partially intact as most technology in Outpost 2 is Boptronic. While the biological portion is completely destroyed by the blight, non-organics contained in these systems should remain functional, albeit crippled.

Just stuff from the OPU Wiki under 'Blight'.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 11:38:34 AM by Luke »
The killer eiffel tower!!