Author Topic: Gas  (Read 7127 times)

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Gas
« on: February 16, 2007, 10:37:20 PM »
Ok I am not sure what is said about gas in op2.  So some one must know.

Could gases or certain groups of gases like the noble gases be used as a resource.  I wouldnt put Oxygen as a resource or beable to be collect because certain things need to be out of the players hands and said they are done automaticly or magically.

Offline gpgarrettboast

• Administrator
Gas
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 01:23:55 PM »
Well I was planning on bringing back CHAPs (air producers in op1) and requiring that you maintain that as a resource.. Didn't really discuss it with anyone though o.o

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Gas
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 02:29:22 PM »
Well I was planning on bringing back CHAPs (air producers in op1) and requiring that you maintain that as a resource.. Didn't really discuss it with anyone though o.o
I believe all (or most) structures in OP2 have air producers in them already. And some structures (or, in the case of Plymouth, many of them), such as the residence, have what appear to be artificial ecosystems (look at IE.avi, CEP.avi, or CPP.avi).

Offline gpgarrettboast

• Administrator
Gas
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 02:34:25 PM »
Then why do they get disabled when detached from a command center? Couldnt a residence with people in it still function w/o a connection to a CC?

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Gas
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 02:35:10 PM »
Then why do they get disabled when detached from a command center? Couldnt a residence with people in it still function w/o a connection to a CC?
Tubes provide transportation, for one thing.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 02:35:20 PM by Arklon »

Offline Savant 231-A

• https://www.outpost2.net
Gas
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 02:45:17 PM »
Okay than... Power is distributed by microwave (am i correct) so why are they using tubing.... A building without a tubing should survive.... for a time
Gordon Freeman, and mr. Crowbar would own Master Chief in any part of the day.
"Come here citizen."

"From the ashes of the collapse we seek to build a better world for all."

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Gas
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 03:01:33 PM »
Savant connect thru the tubes. Without savants I suppose the structures operate on a level low enough only to be still standing, increasingly uninhabitable but unable to be productive in the colony.

Offline Savant 231-A

• https://www.outpost2.net
Gas
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007, 03:05:08 PM »
Oh.... i forgot that...
EY!
Unlogic!
They could have transferring Savant signals wia Antennas, not wires. How would you like if you got a laptop with Wire internet (when on a bussiness trip)? lol, Same thing.
Gordon Freeman, and mr. Crowbar would own Master Chief in any part of the day.
"Come here citizen."

"From the ashes of the collapse we seek to build a better world for all."

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Gas
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 07:11:00 PM »
Water and food? There aren't cargo trucks going from the agridome to dump off food at the residence.

As for communication (like the GP functions better when connected to a CC) maybe radio communication is too unreliable. Also you have the possibility that someone could detect the radio signal and sniff the targeting information (an enemy lynx for example could sniff targeting data and avoid being hit), or worse the signal could get jammed. Also, weather could knock out communication.

Also, the Savants in the CC are probably a lot more powerful than those in the buildings -- they probably run various systems in the buildings and are networked through the tubes.

Furthermore, people use the tubes as transportation -- this is mentioned many times in the novella.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Gas
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2007, 03:32:04 AM »
YEEEEEEEEEEAH OK Now that we know why buildings dont blow up when idled or disabled.  Can we please go back to the subject of the original post.

Offline White Claw

Gas
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2007, 08:48:32 AM »
It could be an option as a resource. Although I'm not sure off hand what for. If the planet is "venus like", then there is plenty of CO2 around.

I don't know off hand of any mass use of gasses in the same manner as you use metals. They are often used in specialized applications though. (Such as lights, lasers, archival storage or storage of dangerous materials.)

It might be a way to build a second layer of advanced items: Advanced power generation, advanced structure factories, advanced laser weapons - all linked through use of lasers. It could open up another branch of technology that is useful but isn't necessarily required. I like having optional types of technology...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 08:49:43 AM by White Claw »

Offline Combine Crusier

Gas
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 07:44:47 AM »
The polar ice caps could have frozen gases like Hydro Carbons! If realistic. Also you could yous gases in a pressure weapon like a grenade launcher.

Requesting post in power section regarding Ion generators.
Say they say that it uses mercury which I think is a form of gas at room tempature!
Fire at will!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Gas
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 12:55:20 PM »
a grenade launcher would use chemical mechanical or energy to launch the projectile.

Offline Pirogoeth

Gas
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2007, 09:29:48 AM »
Ok I am not sure what is said about gas in op2.  So some one must know.

Could gases or certain groups of gases like the noble gases be used as a resource.  I wouldnt put Oxygen as a resource or beable to be collect because certain things need to be out of the players hands and said they are done automaticly or magically.
I'm going to say Yay to the idea of having a gas resource.

it may not necessaryil be one of the raw elements though. I know, logic error -> common metals = light element, rare ore = heavier elements. okay, but what if, just for the gas resource, we have it as a compound (or compounds) that are uber awsome?

We are on an alien venus-like plannet now... the Atmosphere would be filled with gasses an whatnot that could be compounded and condenced into all sorts of usefull things, and even converted into liquid or solid fuel to help the various powerplants more efficient (more for the vehicle powerplants then the colonial powerplants)

Just throwing it out there, I dont expect it to go anywhere though, in an Episode of StarTrek: Voyager, the crew almost believes that they've found a new element. Yes, it was only a biproduct of an alien cultures decomposition, but just perhaps, there can be a whole new table? or just  that todays table is a smaller section of a much larger whole, science just doesnt know about in our timeframe and in OP3, they discover it and all the laws of physics and chemistry as we know them are broken... like I said, dumb idea thats likely to be immediatly shot down, but its an idea nontheless.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 09:33:59 AM by Pirogoeth »
The civil war has begun....

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Gas
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2007, 12:35:06 PM »
The universe is only comprised of the same elements you could only find natural isotopes of the base element.  To find different elements they would have to be extreemly heavy element like 103 and higher on the chart or go to a different universe where gas has the density of steel.

Offline Skydock Command

Gas
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2008, 09:22:09 AM »
I tried to get gas resources before, but you said it was a bad idea. Remember my post about the Xenon Miner Thing? I can't find it though, but I still have the specs I sugested. Xenon can be changed to anything if you want. Im all for a gas resource though.

Savant Computer: Communications link established.
Skydock: This is Skydock Command. We have received your message.