Author Topic: Min & Max On Buldings  (Read 3896 times)

Offline omagaalpha

Min & Max On Buldings
« on: February 13, 2007, 03:27:53 PM »
Min & Max on Buldings

TH300 inspire this idea :P

Related ideas:

- none

Description:

As outpost 2 and even outpost 1.5 that number of worker and scientist were set in stone.
What proposing is that building has minimum amount of workers or scientist that required to operate the building but to get to max capacity and best efficiency of builiding then has actual choose that you want add more workers too it.

This is a good idea, because:

- Don't total shut down buildings when low workers and scientist
- Allow you to keep building still working but at slower speed

This is a bad idea, because:

- idle take care of it all

Edit: Grammer correction on post.

Ty to all those take time to read this idea :P
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 05:49:04 PM by omagaalpha »
Sorry if my grammar and spelling is bad, but I have disablity with it.
Yes, English is the first and only language that I know.

Offline chicer_mister

Min & Max On Buldings
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 12:02:17 PM »
i like it, it's realistic

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Min & Max On Buldings
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 01:01:52 PM »
Sounds interesting.  But most buildings go offline because they wont meet there minimum amounts.  But to add morenow i dont see really what that gets you.

Adding more workers to say a resident Forum any of the 3 labs or even a CC really wouldnt get you any thing.  How do they help make things go faster or better when there is a finite amount of space with in the buildings.

Adding more scientists For research the number of scientists is like that to keep the balance But that number of scientists has nothing to do with the number required to keep the building running.  Worker and Scientists are used more as a broad term.

If you could explain how exactly putting more workers/scientists in buildings will improve them.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Min & Max On Buldings
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 01:20:20 PM »
I can understand a select few of the buildings making use of that. But I wonder how you would work this into the user interface in an easy and intuitive way. The method used with labs when assigning researchers I guess isn't too bad, but that's partly because you have very few labs to manage. If you needed to manage the assignments of both workers and scientists in that manner, I think it could get a bit hairy.

Offline Sirbomber

Min & Max On Buldings
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 07:53:11 PM »
I can only see this being particularly useful for the Nursery and University to keep your colony alive after all your Scientists starve and you need workers to replace the Scientists.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline omagaalpha

Min & Max On Buldings
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 09:36:37 PM »
I can understand a select few of the buildings making use of that. But I wonder how you would work this into the user interface in an easy and intuitive way. The method used with labs when assigning researchers I guess isn't too bad, but that's partly because you have very few labs to manage. If you needed to manage the assignments of both workers and scientists in that manner, I think it could get a bit hairy.
When click see amount worker & scientist that building using. It just + and - on it.

Sirbomber think right about Nursery and University but in that case should it not be code behind works to allow them work but at less efficient when not enough full man University or Nursery?      
Then another question is what effect if only worker available for them to use?
Sorry if my grammar and spelling is bad, but I have disablity with it.
Yes, English is the first and only language that I know.

Offline Fenrisul

Min & Max On Buldings
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 06:18:16 AM »
I see the biggest advantage of this is to keep your Idle Colonists low.

Example of usefulness:

Vehicle Factory
3/3 workers
0/2 supplemental workers
0/0 scientists

if you have idle workers, just assign them to those supplemental spots and get say a 10% production boost per worker.

Structure Factories
Smelters
DIRTs
Agridomes
possibly Med Centers (thought of nurses)

^ Would all benefit from "A little extra help" if not only to serve as day/night shift.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 06:21:21 AM by Fenrisul »

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Min & Max On Buldings
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 10:34:49 PM »
This would increase micromanagement significantly, though. I think OP2's got the amount of micromanagement good.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Min & Max On Buldings
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 03:00:04 AM »
workers have jobs like mantainence a floor mopping there grunt work jobs  having more of the in one building wouldnt really help much

Offline Psudomorph

Min & Max On Buldings
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 10:05:12 AM »
There is also the blessing/curse of automation. Any "menial" jobs would quickly be automated in an OP colony, resulting in the need for fewer workers.

I personally don't see any room to increase the efficiency of a building by adding more workers/scientists, because in an OP-style game, all structures would be optimized for efficiency beforehand.

For example: Agridomes and Residences both take only 1 person to operate. That's one person who can take care of 25-50 people or 50 units of food. I imagine that the jobs of those workers in fact consist mostly of watching displays and surveying the operation of the structure while robots do the actual work, maybe occasionally making a repair or stepping in when bots can't handle a situation. There would be no "floor mopping" or "grunt work" to speak of, merely supervision.
Because OP structures would be so optimized for efficiency, two supervisors could supervise twice as much, but could not really increase efficiency by supervising one thing twice as well. You would have to make a new building in order to overcome purely physical limits.

However:
I do see merit in the basic idea, not for getting more efficiency out of structures, but for emergencies when the population is low and there is not enough labor to go around.

What I am envisioning is a situation where in emergencies, one worker can serve multiple structures at reduced efficiency.
Lets say 1 worker can do 10 units of labor, you could divide that between 1 agridome and 1 residence, reducing the agridome to 50% capacity and the Residence to fewer people.
Lets also not forget that in OP3, structures may have other attributes that a decreased number of workers could affect, such as potential for accidents of breakdowns due to incomplete supervision. Maybe making your structure factory run at full capacity is worth the increased risk of a breakdown that could disable your smelter for a few marks, but might not if you are lucky.

Under normal circumstances this process would not be very useful, and values could be left at default. The usefulness of the process would instead come in those few desperate situations where you need every ounce of efficiency you can get, and losing 30% production in an agridome is worth it to get your vehicle factory running at 50% speed instead of 40% speed.

Now that I think about it, here is a related possibility off the top of my head:
Some people like to get as much efficiency out of their colonies as humanely possible, or play neck-and-neck games that are decided by mere seconds, while some people don't like that level of stress or micromanagement. If OP3 is as modular/adaptable/flexible as they say it will be, what if the code for this kind of worker-juggling is not hard-wired into the game, but rather an extension that the most obsessive of us can add to our OP3 copies while others ignore it? (It should go without saying that in multiplayer you could decide beforehand whether to let your opponent use it).

Come to think of it, the extensibility concept could apply to a lot of interface ideas around here...