Author Topic: Agridome, Advanced  (Read 8161 times)

Offline TRIX Rabbit

• http://androidar.deviantart.com/
Agridome, Advanced
« on: February 11, 2007, 05:24:07 PM »
I think one of the problems in OP2 was that you needed a lot of Agridome to hold a lot of population, and Agridomes took up a lot of space and resources. Therefore, I prepose the use of:

Agridome, Advanced

Related ideas:

- Larger, more efficient Agridome
- Large colonies
- Small maps

Description:

The Advanced Agridome is the successor to the well known agridome. After the Research of Hydroponic Growing Media, then the (new) research Airponics, and Improved Growing Facilitites, the Advanced Agridome will be available.

- HP: 1000
- Armour: Light
- Workers: 2
- Scientists: None
- Common Ore: 900?
- Rare Ore: None
- Power: 20

This is a good idea, because:

- It saves space by having the output of 2/2.2 Agridomes, but is 1.5 times the size.
- Lowers the amount of workers used for food.
- (optional) Increases morale more, because colonists may also use it as a relaxing garden . (note: This could be done through research)

This is a bad idea, because:

- The player may have to replace the standard agridomes to give space for the Adv. Agridomes.

If possible, could I write research discriptions for this and any other new researches in OP3? That would make my day. I could also think up of new research, and stuff.

Edit 1: added another worker
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 06:12:35 PM by TRIX Rabbit »
I'm more commonly known as AndroidAR now:
My deviantArt

Offline Savant 231-A

• https://www.outpost2.net
Agridome, Advanced
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 05:39:25 AM »
I think Brazillian fan posted something like this.... , however an andvanced agridome would be good.
Gordon Freeman, and mr. Crowbar would own Master Chief in any part of the day.
"Come here citizen."

"From the ashes of the collapse we seek to build a better world for all."

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Agridome, Advanced
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 06:07:41 AM »
If they are indeed bigger they would need at least 2 workers.

Offline TRIX Rabbit

Agridome, Advanced
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 07:50:28 AM »
I always thought that there should have been a "Food" Tech tree. I would say that The Adv Agridome should start off with 2 workers, but after research could go down to 1 worker, possibly. However, if this takes place after OP2, the colonists might have created a more automated food harvesting system.
My deviantArt

Offline Combine Crusier

Agridome, Advanced
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 08:24:56 AM »
Excellent idea sir I must agree.
Fire at will!

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Agridome, Advanced
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 04:28:49 PM »
Meh. Its not C&C. Structures have a modular design. Expanding them would alter their properties, environmental variables and support. You cant simply have a bigger version, it would have to be redesigned. With research agridomes go along evenly with population just like residences. Theres no need for this, perhaps just additional upgrades.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Agridome, Advanced
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 04:46:14 PM »
I dont see what this has to do with C&C.

But anyway A large agridome is plausable mainly because with population increase you need food increase and on some maps in op2 (yes i know this is for op3 :P ) you would run out of room or it would expand your colony beyond what you wanted.  Having a expanded Agridome that takes up a larger foot print wouldnt hurt but it would still have to have more then 1 worker even if semi automated there just are thing that machines cant do.  When you have a farm and you need more from it your expand it.

Offline omagaalpha

Agridome, Advanced
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 06:05:08 PM »
Sound like very good idea todo and Cough plus hate upgrade to building when graphic don't change for it :P
Sorry if my grammar and spelling is bad, but I have disablity with it.
Yes, English is the first and only language that I know.

Offline TRIX Rabbit

Agridome, Advanced
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 06:11:44 PM »
Well then, I think it should have 2 workers; a farm DOES have more workers the bigger. Should the power be the same? I'm also thinking that the food output would be more than double the agridome, 140- 180/200 after research.
My deviantArt

Offline White Claw

Agridome, Advanced
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 07:28:07 PM »
I imagine something in comparison to Residence / Advanced Residence. It would work well as either: 2 workers and a increase of 2 times(?), upgradeable to 2.5 (?). Or only 1 worker and it's worth 1.5 / 1.7 times the amount of a regular agridome. I think the extra expense should be in materials and power (if it's more automated).

I don't know why, but 4 times the amount seems excessive to me.

However, I do like this idea!  (thumbsup) The finer points might be something that would need to be play balanced/tested.

Perhaps if massive colonies are a "goal scenario" in OP3, there might be a need to have many types of advanced structures to make late game colony expansion a little less overwhelming. (DIRT, medical center, rec facility, etc...)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 07:31:23 PM by White Claw »

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Agridome, Advanced
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 05:12:53 AM »
Isnt the difference between the resisdence and advance residence a 35% increase?

I dont think it should be double.  You dont want to completely phase out the smaller domes.  i would say 50 to 60 percent increase of the max agridome.

Offline TRIX Rabbit

Agridome, Advanced
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 08:14:57 AM »
I imagine something in comparison to Residence / Advanced Residence. It would work well as either: 2 workers and a increase of 2 times(?), upgradeable to 2.5 (?). Or only 1 worker and it's worth 1.5 / 1.7 times the amount of a regular agridome. I think the extra expense should be in materials and power (if it's more automated).

I don't know why, but 4 times the amount seems excessive to me.

However, I do like this idea!  (thumbsup) The finer points might be something that would need to be play balanced/tested.

Perhaps if massive colonies are a "goal scenario" in OP3, there might be a need to have many types of advanced structures to make late game colony expansion a little less overwhelming. (DIRT, medical center, rec facility, etc...)
ya, 4 times is a little much, but 100/120 does seem about good, thats like 2 Advanced Residences for every Advanced Agridome. I think other Advanced structures would be good, as they would do more for less. (BTW: Advanced DIRT... LOL) Isn't the advanced Rec Facility called a Forum?
My deviantArt

Offline Savant 231-A

Agridome, Advanced
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 01:11:39 PM »
Hmm.... this problably would work if you add 50% bigger usage of power, higher number of workers (2) (i think 1 scientist would be good (hey, someone has to check that stuff)).
"Come here citizen."

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Agridome, Advanced
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 03:07:07 PM »
I like this whole idea.

When a normal structure becomes too small, one possible way is to build another one. But due to effeciency one may as well design and build a completely new structure which HAS TO be better, because it would be useless otherwise.

I think a food production of 150%-200% of what normal Agridomes produce is reasonable. Depending on how many resources (Workers, Energy, Metal cost, Place on the map, ...) are needed for an Advanced Agridome.

Offline White Claw

Agridome, Advanced
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2007, 07:32:30 PM »
The point of my post was that I don't think it should cost twice the labor if you're not going to get twice the benefit. Why would I build a more expensive but less efficient structure if I would get more out of two "older" models. Metals and power aren't nearly as precious as workers, and the power & metal savings of an agridome aren't that great.

Yea, an advanced DIRT. One that actually prevents a good deal of damage and can cover more structures.

And before we start arguing too much over numbers:

Me:
Or only 1 worker and it's worth 1.5 / 1.7 times the amount of a regular agridome.
Freeza:
I dont think it should be double. You dont want to completely phase out the smaller domes. i would say 50 to 60 percent increase of the max agridome.
TRIX:
ya, 4 times is a little much, but 100/120 does seem about good,
TH300:
I think a food production of 150%-200% of what normal Agridomes produce is reasonable.
These comparisons are very similar. In fact, almost exact. (Except TRIX is still a little on the high side at 200%-220%)

Offline Skydock Command

Agridome, Advanced
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2007, 09:57:08 AM »
How about only a 45% increase so we can keep the old agridome as well. 2 workers sounds good but why would they need a scientist on a farm? Just because its high tech doesnt meen you need advanced training.  
Savant Computer: Communications link established.
Skydock: This is Skydock Command. We have received your message.

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Agridome, Advanced
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2007, 02:17:14 PM »
if you notice the theme of op2 is not like that of other games where advanced efficiency is reached by building higher-tier structures e.g. lvl1 agridome, lvl2 agridome, etc... outpost 2 does this through upgrade research. there are already several upgrades for agridomes that increase their production. an increase like 45% would cut the number you need to run a colony in half. if you look carefully at the size of the agridome, twice the production would mean twice the size. no matter how you slice it, agriculture is proportional to the land it takes up. so considering this, you would be building structures that are twice as productive, but take up twice the space meaning there is no gain. youre just exchanging one handicap for another.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Agridome, Advanced
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2007, 06:12:14 PM »
Dont think so two dimensional.  OP3 is a 3d game and even a 2d game can have Height.

Cities are big and have a lot of people but they take up less land because they are built up.

Offline Savant 231-A

Agridome, Advanced
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2007, 01:11:47 AM »
wasn't this topic closed?

Anyways...

if you notice the theme of op2 is not like that of other games where advanced efficiency is reached by building higher-tier structures e.g. lvl1 agridome, lvl2 agridome, etc... outpost 2 does this through upgrade research. there are already several upgrades for agridomes that increase their production(.....)

Agreed, but with all that research for, for example: Residence: it has i think 2 researches and still people gladly use AR to satisfy the needs of colonists.

an increase like 45% would cut the number you need to run a colony in half. if you look carefully at the size of the agridome, twice the production would mean twice the size. no matter how you slice it, agriculture is proportional to the land it takes up. so considering this, you would be building structures that are twice as productive, but take up twice the space meaning there is no gain. youre just exchanging one handicap for another.

About the "twice space" problem:
Why isn't the building on floors , or adding a basement to fix the problem.

EDIT: ooops.... i just now noticed that Freeza wrote the same thing....
 :heh: uuurmm...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 01:13:29 AM by Savant 231-A »
"Come here citizen."