Author Topic: Web Tv  (Read 1765 times)

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Web Tv
« on: February 07, 2007, 12:06:52 PM »
I think you all have heard of the show "so you think you can dance" ?

Well, here in Norway we have our own version of it aswell. The thing is, last year my GF participated in that show, and theres some clips of her that I'd like to copy to my hard drive. However, I have no clue on how to do this..

The Tv-Channel doing the show has a pay to view thing on their web site, and you have to use Interner Explorer to view the whole thing. Once it starts playing, and you launch it to full size screen, it runs in Windows Media player.

Anyone know how to record this ? (I'm assuming DL'ing the thing is out of the question since I can't find a place to do so..)

Thanks for any pointers.
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Web Tv
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 02:17:55 PM »
Well, one possible way would be to dig through the HTML and find the url of the video which is actually playing.

To do this:
Start your browser, go to the page as normal, and then go to View > Source (or something similar). It should pop up a text editor with a lot of HTML. Search for the text '<object' or '<embed' and look past that till you get to the SRC= attribute. (These are the start of HTML code that tell the browser the page wants to 'embed' an active object in the page, for example the video player).
For example you might see
Code: [Select]
<object name="something" src="/some/path/here/to/the/video.wmv" ....
Take the stuff inside the src= part (the path) and put it onto the URL in the address bar. If it starts with a slash (/) remove everything except the domain name (so if the site is for example, http://members.whatever.com/members/video.html, remove everything after .com and paste the SRC you got there. If it doesn't start with a slash, remove everything after the last slash in the URL and paste the src there.

Browse to the newly formed URL. If all goes well, you *should* be looking at the file directly in the web browser, without the extra page content that surrounds it. You should now be able to use the save feature of your browser (File > Save or something similar) to save the file to your computer.

I hope this explains it clearly enough If you need any help, feel free to ask!

By the way, if you use Firefox and have the Greasemonkey extension, you might be able to find a Greasemonkey script for the site that can add links which will automatically save the video on the page for you. (I know such scripts exist for sites like YouTube which have no save feature directly on the page).