Author Topic: Op3 Game Charter  (Read 4342 times)

Offline White Claw

Op3 Game Charter
« on: January 23, 2007, 07:43:45 PM »
This is a damn long post so if you want to post a reply to this, then please read the whole thing! (Especially the end.)  :D

I'm posting this primarily to the OP3 developers in hopes of it helping them. I don't expect any reply, nor do I expect you to do anything I suggest. I just hope it helps you with your own process.

I think a software charter (or whatever you want to call it) would be extremely helpful to the community. It would get a starting point of understanding for new dudes as well as provide guidance for older members/helpers/whoever.

As a basic example:

1) To create what end state and in what character (big picture, or an objective) - The creation of an Outpost sequel set in the Outpost universe. Envisioned as a 3d isoparametric view and improving upon the OP2 baseline.

Now blow apart the objective and explain what you mean.

a) What is the Outpost universe we are trying to model. Define what the setting is. Similar to OP1, OP2, or some sort of combination. Do we know yet?
b.) What is our sequel. Is it after OP2 when the humans left New Terra? What is the timeline? This aids in technology extensions and story ideas.
c) 3d isoparametric view: This might need to be explained so people know what you're talking about. Is it a fixed view? Is it top down? Give the game engine setting.
d) Improvements on the OP2 baseline: Are we talking about adding units? Buildings? Tech? More importantly, how much are we thinking of adding? Are we meerly implimenting OP2 in 3D and we want to know how to make minor game improvements? (I would expand here how much like OP2 it is or isn't.) Or are we looking to build a new tech tree and all new buildings/units. Do we need all new music?

These are all ideas that need to be filled in. But just providing some basic vision and guidance for what you want to do can go a long way. I'm not saying you need to committe this for weeks on end and come out with some polished product. It's just a starting point for people to explore ideas. You don't need to have ideas and perfect information about everything. Just: "This is what we're thinking." Then let people run with it in the forums. Update as often as necessary/able.

With all that being said: The OP3 design team owns the charter, not the forum.

To the OP3 team: Do or do not as you please. It's meerly a starting suggestion. I wish I had a good example to post. Believe it or not, it would probably only take an hour or so because I imagine you (the OP3 team) already have most of this stuff hammered out. Putting it all onto one page for people to reference makes the difference. It might save some of this bickering.  :ph34r:  You may even want to lock it.

To anyone else who wants to post: Your ideas on what should be included in the charter are welcome. But understand this to mean "What information do you want to know?" and NOT "What _I_ think should be in the charter." In other words, don't post "I think this is how the game should be." in the charter section. That's what the forum is for. Post under "Units" "Tech" "General Ideas" etc... That is what the forums are for! Post charter questions such as "Are we looking to add units and how many?" Then come up with the ideas...

I don't know if any of that made any sense.  <_<  

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Op3 Game Charter
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 11:38:25 PM »
Ah yes :).

It's a similar approach to what we have taken as of now. Right now it's in more/less a Novella outline, so I don't think it would be too difficult to do that.

We'll come up with something and post it soon :). We (or me at least..) were so preoccupied with other things that we never thought of making the outline simpler    :heh:

Thank you for the suggestion!!
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline White Claw

Op3 Game Charter
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 10:09:10 AM »
Yes! I can certainly understand busy. Please don't take any of my posting as a slap in the face for any of the developers. The fact that you guys are even trying is excellent.

And I know that most of what I suggested is somewhere in the forums. But people forget. And some people are new so they don't know. (It takes a while to search through thousands of posts.)

BTW: Which is the "official" Novella? There's a few posted and I can't keep up with them all...

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Op3 Game Charter
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 08:30:51 PM »
IF you mean the OP2 novella... then it's the one on OPU's Op2 page... if you're talking about part of Genesis's.. we posted it in a newsletter not too long ago...

Sorry i haven't posted this charter yet, we've been reorganizing some things and it's gotten a little complicated... :) I'll get it to ya soon!
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline White Claw

Op3 Game Charter
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 07:05:23 PM »
My novella reference was for Genesis. I did read the newsletter, but I guess I'd better go back and read it again.

Don't hurry the charter on my account. Besides, I'm sure it will create quite a flurry when it's posted...   ;)