Author Topic: Op2 Tech Tree  (Read 14526 times)

Offline White Claw

Op2 Tech Tree
« on: January 20, 2007, 09:01:56 PM »
Well, I started this project on xfir.net so that's where it got posted. Looking for your feed back if you're interested.

It's not finished yet but I was looking for feedback before I sunk any more time into it.

The thread is here.

Here is a sample of my Eden Tech tree. Looking for feed back before I put more work in. This is only half of it. I have the second half in about the same shape, but I'm looking for feedback for this much at least.

Black Text = Standard Lab
Orange Text = Advanced Lab

What it doesn't have:
-It's not color coded yet (for buildings, vechs, improvements, weapons, etc.)
-The tech that is opened up by "Rare Ore Processing" gets messy. I have to clean that up (which is why it is yellow.)
-A legend to explain the color coding.
-Missing about half of the "improvements"

« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 04:05:03 AM by Leviathan »

Offline Leviathan

Op2 Tech Tree
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 04:03:17 AM »
Nice work :)

What software you use to create it?

Can we get a bigger version please.

Id like to print this :D

Thanks

Offline Mez

Op2 Tech Tree
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 06:45:49 AM »
levi, wants it poster sized on his wall!

Offline White Claw

Op2 Tech Tree
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 12:26:54 PM »
It's simply done in Excel. I was going to install the MS flow chart maker but decided I had enough Micro-Crap software on my machine (and it's not flexible enough).

I need to do something about the tech that is opened up by "Rare Ore Processing" though. I'm not happy with the way it is now. There's a few other minor things to clean up too.

This tech tree is smaller becuase I didn't want to post a huge picture. Anyhow, I'm planning on exporting it to a PDF. I was planning a two page version (as it is now) and version 2. What you see above would actually be on a full sized sheet of paper (in landscape) with the rest of the tech on a second page.

What I'd actually like to do for v2 is expand what I have and include some graphics (i.e. picture of lynx chassis, expanded housing, DIRT, etc.). Like the CIV:CTP posters (if you've seen those). Even though it's not as big, the OP2 tech tree is more complex than CIV (if you can buy that).

What I was looking for in posting all this is if there was anything else you guys wanted to see.

Here's my next list of improvements:
-color coded arrows
-shrink down some of the text so that it all fits in the box
-Plymouth Tech
-Try to create a non-color version (other than black and white) for those of us who don't have color printers
-I think I'm going to separate the "Colony Improvement" color into "Structures" and "Structure Improvement" sections.
-Potentially a list of unit & building stats (separate project?)

Offline Leviathan

Op2 Tech Tree
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 01:27:31 PM »
Sounds good.

I allways loved the civ and age of empires tech tree's. I think the pics u should use are the ones the researchs use in game at the lab when they are being researched. Well try that and you could also do another version with what you suggested or something.

Offline White Claw

Op2 Tech Tree
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 04:33:31 PM »
I hadn't thought of using the pics from the lab, but that's a good idea too.

Offline Kontana

Op2 Tech Tree
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 06:12:56 PM »
Take a look at some other Civ tech trees here:
Nethog's Games Page and Civ Fanatics

They might give you some ideas on how to orginize everything or shrink the info. The SMAC and Civ4 tech trees should help alot. Those ones a a bit more complex that the other Civ tech trees. 71 techs for Eden and 73 techs for Plymouth (iirc).

I have a copy of Visio 2002 that I can install later and tinker around with to see what I can come up with. But it won't be til next week since I'm going to be working in San Diego for a few days living out of a suitcase.
~With great knowledge comes great power, and only through mastery of oneself can one aquire mastery over others.~
~Kon`Ta`Na Spellbookworm

Offline White Claw

Op2 Tech Tree
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 06:46:28 PM »
Nethog has some great work. And I like the Civ tech trees on Civ Fanatics. Most of the Civ trees are still very linear with very little crossover.

But you're right, the SMAC tree helps a lot but it's crazy. The main tree fits all on one page but it's a lot to read.

I think somewhere in the middle is what I'm shooting for. Perhaps I will create a more expanded one for v2.0.

I don't have Visio and I don't know what it is. But if you can come up with a better one let me know so I don't waste a bunch of time. Thanks for the point out, it was great!

Offline Chandler

Op2 Tech Tree
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 08:18:20 PM »
Visio is a Microsoft drawing program - very good for doing flowcharts and the like... I don't like it that much, but then I'm an ACAD person...
Chandler

Offline White Claw

Op2 Tech Tree
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007, 08:54:16 PM »
Here is a different style of my Tech tree. It is incomplete but just meant as a demonstrator. I think I like this second one better, but I may combine the two a bit. Let me know what you think.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 07:02:45 AM by Leviathan »

Offline Kontana

Op2 Tech Tree
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2007, 09:32:05 PM »
I like the 2nd version a lot better than the 1st one. One thing I'd look into is changing the line types on some of those from solid to a dashed. That will make things a bit clearer. ie The line from Metallogeny -> Rare Ore Processing can be misinterpeted as also going to Mobile Weapons Platform, Robot-Assist Mechanic, and such.
~With great knowledge comes great power, and only through mastery of oneself can one aquire mastery over others.~
~Kon`Ta`Na Spellbookworm

Offline White Claw

Op2 Tech Tree
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 07:21:54 PM »
As for crossed lines, I agree they can be confusing about which are connected when they cross. But I also don't like having mixed solid and dashed lines unless they imply different meanings. I tried to put arrows for lines that actually connect (like Cybernetic Teleoperations to Rare Ore Processing, High Temp Super to Rare Ore Processing)

I'll try the dashed lines and see how they look. Perhaps I'll make a solid circle where actual connections are made. Or a curved bridge (as is common practice in electronics design)

I suppose I'm also making an assumption that there is already some level of knowledge of the tech tree by someone who might read this.

(However, I think I like the second one better also.)

Offline Leviathan

Op2 Tech Tree
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 07:03:32 AM »
Yeah I love Visio. I was thinking of maybe making a version of the tech tree's with it when I got the time.

Offline White Claw

Op2 Tech Tree
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 06:22:59 PM »
Well crap. If you guys are going to make trees then have at it. I guess I'll find something else to do...

Offline Leviathan

Op2 Tech Tree
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2007, 03:51:13 AM »
Please keep doing your work. We dont currently have them for people!

Offline White Claw

Op2 Tech Tree
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2007, 10:01:01 AM »
Okay, you convinced me. (That was hard...) I'm redoing my Eden tree to be more like the second one I posted. There's still a few things I want to iron out that I'm not happy with, and I still have to rebuild the whole space branch. I think I'll get started on it right now since I have some time today. Hopefully I'll have Eden's finished today and I can post it.

Offline White Claw

Op2 Tech Tree
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2007, 05:56:25 PM »
Here's my Eden tech tree (version 1.0). They're both PDF files.

Eden Tech Tree (Removed link)

This is the same one but without a background (in case you want to print it and save toner).

Eden Tech Tree with no background (Removed link)

Check it out if you want and let me know if there are any errors. I checked it a couple times, but the lines started to blur together after a while.  :D

Enjoy! (I hope)  :ph34r:
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 07:23:46 PM by White Claw »

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Op2 Tech Tree
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2007, 06:07:16 PM »
Not bad, considering mapping the OP2 tech tree is a hard task to begin with (since a tech from one part of the tree can depend on five different techs from another area of the tree).

One possible way you might be able to cut down on lines crossing over everything is maybe to use footnotes (i.e. by using [1], [2] on all the techs which depend on each other).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 06:07:27 PM by op2hacker »

Offline White Claw

Op2 Tech Tree
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2007, 06:10:03 PM »
I thought about that (and had something similar in an earlier version), but I guess if I'm going to do that, then it would be about the same as just having a list of techs.

Right in the middle it gets pretty messy. I'll have to take another look at it in a couple days and see what else I can cut down on.  

Offline gpgarrettboast

• Administrator
Op2 Tech Tree
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2007, 07:10:15 PM »
That's actually really cool, and I think it'll clear up alot of confusion (when I get the courage to try eden one day) Thank you so much for your work, its greatly appreciated.

Offline White Claw

Op2 Tech Tree
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2007, 08:28:49 PM »
I've almost completed the Plymouth tree.  (thumbsup)
However, as I was working on it, I realized there are a couple errors on the Eden tree ( (thumbsdown) ). I have already fixed most of these. I'm going to do another check of both trees tomorrow and I will post the corrected Eden and Plymoth tomorrow evening (I hope).

Keep your fingers crossed!  :ph34r:
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 08:29:22 PM by White Claw »

Offline White Claw

Op2 Tech Tree
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2007, 07:22:50 PM »
Here they are.

Eden Tech Tree version 1.1

Plymouth Tech Tree version 1.1

There's still some color coding I don't like. But I don't think they're too bad. I thought the Eden one got crazy in the middle, but the Plymouth one is out of control at the beginning. (I had to make room for the entire arachnid branch.)

(I don't suppose there's a way to change the title of the post in the "File Forum" so it doesn't specify "Eden" or "v1.0" anymore?)

Offline Kontana

Op2 Tech Tree
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2007, 11:36:31 PM »

Eden Tech Tree

I had to split the Rare Ore Processing (ROP) and Large-Scale Optical Resonators (LSOR) tech lines to make it fit, but otherwise I think it looks pretty good. I may consider adding the things White Claw did: the reseach result. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 06:49:17 PM by leeor_net »
~Kon`Ta`Na Spellbookworm

Offline Kontana

Op2 Tech Tree
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2007, 01:57:30 AM »

Plymouth Tech Tree

Basically same as Eden, but had to seperate the spider tech due to lack of room.

Enjoy !!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 06:49:37 PM by leeor_net »
~Kon`Ta`Na Spellbookworm

Offline Leviathan

Op2 Tech Tree
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2007, 10:01:31 AM »
Cool guys :D !

Thx!