Author Topic: I Must Wait When I Click  (Read 2562 times)

Offline siqueule

I Must Wait When I Click
« on: January 07, 2007, 03:31:23 PM »
hello guys  ;)

I have a very irritating problem with my computer: when I double-click on a file's icon, the sand glass appear and I must wait 6-7 seconds to see the file open.
same thing with a right click to see the menu... it's horrible  :(

my computer use an athlon 64 3800+ and one go of ram and during the waiting, it use 5% of the cpu and a very little part of the memory; I am on a 40-go-partition, cleaned and not split

somebody can help me? please  :)  
attention! ne mets pas tes mains sur la porte: tu risques de te faire pincer très fort
warning! don't put your hand on the door: you risk to be grip very strong

Offline instigator

I Must Wait When I Click
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 05:07:50 PM »
Perhaps your computer needs to be cleaned of temp files? Maybe defragmented?

Download the "crap" cleaner from www.ccleaner.com if you want a simple way to empty out temporary internet files. It also can clean up some registry things, if you so desire.

Offline Sl0vi

I Must Wait When I Click
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 07:32:01 PM »
or maybe just a good old format c: :D
!!!YAY!!!

Offline siqueule

I Must Wait When I Click
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 02:24:38 AM »
I think it's a good idea, format my hdd...

I have search very late on internet and I have see that window's service pack 2 create a lot of problems... and I have sp2  <_<  
attention! ne mets pas tes mains sur la porte: tu risques de te faire pincer très fort

Offline Eddy-B

• http://www.eddy-b.com
I Must Wait When I Click
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 08:24:21 AM »
Are you on a network (intranet) ?
Rule #1:  Eddy is always right
Rule #2: If you think he's wrong, see rule #1
--------------------

Outpost : Renegades - Eddy-B.com - Electronics Pit[/siz

Offline siqueule

I Must Wait When I Click
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 09:25:14 AM »
yes, I have an intranet!

I noticed that when I use safe mode, the problem disappear, but in safe mode with intranet, it don't disappear  :ph34r:  

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
I Must Wait When I Click
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 02:12:27 PM »
Hmm, that might indicate some sort of spyware program or object that is using up system resources.. since the problem doesnt occur in safe mode.

Do you have a real time virus scanner like Norton installed? I know that will scan all files in a directory when the directory is opened, which could be part of the slowdown.

Offline siqueule

I Must Wait When I Click
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 09:41:22 AM »
good idea, I will download an anti spyware ;)  

Offline Eddy-B

• http://www.eddy-b.com
I Must Wait When I Click
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 07:39:23 AM »
At work we have a intranet and we have to wait 10-15 seconds even sometimes!  Nothing really changed from before we had this "bug". Just your regular security updates from microsoft.

We use Windows XP on 2003 servers. We couldn't find much wrong, nor could our IT partners. We've sent the problem to Microsoft. This was 2 months ago. They have yet to come up with the CAUSE of this problem, let alone the solution!!

So this may be related, but this is unknown. As far as i know we have not yet double-checked with other companies to see if they are experiencing simular problems, but our IT partner has not indicated this is the case (which i trust they will if they find out). As for MicroSoft: if this is a more common problem, they'll probly try to keep it quiet as much as possible....
-------------------------

In more detail:
There's a lag every first time we try to access a mapped drive (network path that is mapped into a single drive letter for easy access). Once IN this mapped drive, you can browse and work without a problem. But if you wait several minutes (maybe 5 or 10 mins), the first access (even if your explorer is still residing in that same drive) has this lag again.
Also when changing to another mapped drive. But when you go back to the other drive, you can still access it quite fast.

One odd thing we've discovered; when doing the folowwing steps, there's no problem whatsoever:
Log into your own computer local administrator. Then when you want to access a network drive, you will be prompted for login: now log in as you normally would with your network login/password and all is fine.

Same thing applies when you log into a Terminal Server and from there access the network, so in theory we could get it to work, but this is not what we want. Microsoft has a bug, and we don't want to use work-arounds coz THEY can't find the cause!

oh.. good luck !  (try my suggestions to see if this is a simualr problem - and contact microCRAP if it is - and you have a legal version of windows of course)
Rule #1:  Eddy is always right
Rule #2: If you think he's wrong, see rule #1
--------------------

Outpost : Renegades - Eddy-B.com - Electronics Pit[/siz