Author Topic: Agri-station  (Read 7905 times)

Offline Skydock Command

Agri-station
« on: November 18, 2006, 05:19:19 PM »
Agri-Station

Length: 451m
Width: 391m
Height: 206m

The station is composed of 3 modules. The vertical module is the stations command module. It is here where the command centre, living quarters, personal transporters, primary life support, and primary solar collectors are located. The 2 horizontal modules are the manufacturing facilities were food is grown and recycled from biomatter and water is recycled.

Fresh water is extracted by electrolysis. Breaking water down into hydrogen and oxygen. The hydrogen and oxygen are then reformed into distilled water in fuel cells that also provides additional energy to the electrolysis systems. Thereby saving energy for transporters and food processors. The remaining material is then sterilized by intense X-rays, and separated into organic and non-organic groups. The organic now sterilized are then sent to the food processing areas of the module while the non-organic are then recycled on spot into useable material.

The bio-matter is non-chemically converted into foodstuff using protein resequencers, and shiped down to the surface to feed the people. Protein resequencers can manufacture many forms of fruits, vegetables, meat, nuts and so forth. But due to lack of time and power, everyone receives the same food at each delivery, and often adds some variety to the meals prepared by the agridomes on the station.

The rest of the food is grown is special agridomes. These agridomes have a higher rate of production because of the varitable conditions of the station.

Edit: Forgot about the food part lol
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 06:33:00 PM by Skydock Command »
Savant Computer: Communications link established.
Skydock: This is Skydock Command. We have received your message.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Agri-station
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 12:51:14 AM »
Putting every thing in one building is a very very bad idea.  

IF you want a higher productive agridome call it Advanced Agridome like edens housing.  it would have to be bigger, require more power, and require more workers maybe even a scientist.

I dont know what you mean by personal transporters but it sounds a bit TREKY.  And people dont like in the agridomes they in the Resisdence.  That is just there place of work.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 12:55:33 AM by Freeza-CII »

Offline Skydock Command

Agri-station
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 05:42:51 AM »
Personel transporters is like a small RLV for people to go down and up in. I know they wouldnt like to live there, but this is a big station. Its like haveing two agridomes, a resedence and half a command center. And someone took the solar panels from a Skydock and glued them on top. They probably have a little on the low side with morale. We could add a recreational thing on.

I have a picture of it here but it cant figure out how to show it. The img button doesnt seem to work.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 05:46:04 AM by Skydock Command »

Offline omagaalpha

Agri-station
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 06:12:26 AM »
Well you did put alot thought into it. It usually these types ideas combines function into one building or vehicle not best of ideas . Think kind of rune fun of game by have building does almost all stuff.
Sorry if my grammar and spelling is bad, but I have disablity with it.
Yes, English is the first and only language that I know.

Offline Skydock Command

Agri-station
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 06:26:20 AM »
Its a spacestation, like the Skydock. Not a building. Well, it sortof could be called that...

Offline White Claw

Agri-station
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 12:50:24 PM »
What does this do for the main colony? Is it just a food source? Power too?

Is this a launching ground for having an orbiting colony?

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Agri-station
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 01:16:48 PM »
Its In space That totally defeats the purpose of agidomes.

Offline Skydock Command

Agri-station
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 01:16:58 PM »
It is a food and mabye a morale boost. I dont realy know, it could be used for a orbiting colony, it prety much is one by its self. Remember its like a few agridomes, a command center, a resedence and a receational fasility. I have a pic of it here but I cant get it on the post fr some reason. How would I get it on?

Offline Sirbomber

Agri-station
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2006, 04:34:42 PM »
I have a pic of it here but I cant get it on the post fr some reason. How would I get it on?
Upload it some place, then use the IMG button.

You have to give up on all these space ideas Skydock. They're good, but just not feasible. The colonies can't afford to send people into space when they're needed on the surface, nor can they afford all the SULVs needed to keep such projects operational for extended periods of time. Eden is the only colony that would have a chance at any of this because of their RLV, but that's needed elsewhere, and it would cause too many balance issues (if they can build orbital Agridomes, they can build orbital doomsday devices).
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Agri-station
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2006, 05:02:30 PM »
the bulk amount of materials needed to sustain such a station would be immense, for every ton of food you get out of it, you would have to launch at least 2 tons of supplies because of inefficiency's in the recycling system, like I said on the forums, too much effort for not enough reward, it would be better off just built on the surface

I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Skydock Command

Agri-station
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2006, 05:02:49 PM »
Where should I upload it, and lol. Orbital doom weapons... lol

Offline Sirbomber

Agri-station
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2006, 08:27:40 PM »
The OPU Gallery maybe? There are other places.

If they have the ability to launch and sustain an orbital space station, they could just as easily attach weapons to it. Then you have orbital doomsday devices.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Agri-station
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2006, 09:16:17 PM »
First thing that struck me is the amount of electricity needed to perform electrolysis of water is at least as much as you'd get back from running the hyrdogen and oxygen through a fuel cell. That's assuming perfect efficiency, which just doesn't happen in practice. You could only lose energy from running things in a loop like that. If you've got solar panels, then just use those. There is no point to cycling the water like that.

Secondly, think of the fuel costs to transport food between the surface and the planet. Even with an RLV, that just isn't a feasible thing to do. I know there is no in game cost to using the RLV, but using an RLV to transport food back down to the planet on a regular basis just sounds a little too divorced from reality.

The idea of producing food in space has merit though. There'd certainly be an ample supply of sunlight. Just need proper shielding so it doesn't fry or mutate. I also wonder about that intense xray bit. I've heard of xrays being used to sterilize food, but I doubt they're very intense.

I think this would be more useful to supply the startship with it's stored quantity of food, rather than sending an RLV packed with food to supply the starship. But then, the station that produces the food, is probably a lot heavier and costly to get into orbit than the food you'd need. Nah, the idea is probably most useful if you have some kind of orbital colony that needs to maintain a population. But that just doesn't seem to fit in with the gameplay very well. This seems more like an idea to bring up in the novellas.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Agri-station
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2006, 11:05:28 PM »
yea, about the cosmic rays, not only are there high energy x-rays but gamma too, and those arnt stopped by a magnetic field, so the glass would have to be at least 3 ft thick, 3 ft of glass covering a dome capable of producing food for 200+ people, would weigh in the order of millions of tons, probably more then the starship itself

frankly it would just be a engineering and logistical nightmare
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Agri-station
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2006, 01:24:50 AM »
Its far more cheaper build a bigger Agridome on the ground and get food the the people faster.  Doesnt require rockets constantly taking off and landing.

Offline Sirbomber

Agri-station
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2006, 03:37:42 PM »
New rule: Space does not exist in-game, except in passive reference. You can put something in space, but you won't actaully see it, monitor it, or do anything with it. Your command control is confined to the surface of the planet.

Offline White Claw

Agri-station
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2006, 08:31:01 PM »
My vote: I agree...

Offline Skydock Command

Agri-station
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2006, 03:29:37 PM »
Why cant it be deployed when the starship arives at Cythera? They could have thought of it while they were on there way to the gas giant and built it just after they landed instead of agridomes. You wouldnt realy have to launch RLVs and stuff, it would be automatic.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Agri-station
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2006, 04:19:42 PM »
There space ship already have food in it so all they have to do is start up there agridomes.  What are they going to use to build it in space the materials for the colony there suppose to make on the surface?  The ship is to get there they go to the surface it doesnt matter if they thunk up a SUPER COOL STATION along the way.  They just cant build it.  Again Agridomes in space is a very bad idea both Logisticly and Resouce/Management wise  

Offline omagaalpha

Agri-station
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2006, 09:01:11 PM »
Why cant it be deployed when the starship arives at Cythera? They could have thought of it while they were on there way to the gas giant and built it just after they landed instead of agridomes. You wouldnt realy have to launch RLVs and stuff, it would be automatic.
_____Let me put it this way too you , if they were going todo that with aqriculture then they would be integrate it with starship.  So that they could be produce food supply for them while they get the coloney start on surface.  
_____For it would make since that the starship would be able produce food supply keep them live until got the coloney start to point where knew time when they be out food for coloney that agriculture dome would done. For it be unlike that RLV from startship would enough fuel go back forth into space it more like a one way trip.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 09:01:44 PM by omagaalpha »
Sorry if my grammar and spelling is bad, but I have disablity with it.
Yes, English is the first and only language that I know.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Agri-station
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2006, 02:48:25 AM »
The space ship was made to transport the ore and food for there colony.  It wouldnt have room for this Agridome extension.  Adding it on to the out side is a waste of ore.  They can take the food down to there surface with there rockets which are most likely SULV so they cant go back up till more are built.  Instead of building ships just to get back up to (which require rare ore  <_< ) They would build like 5 agridomes for the same price.  A Space Station isnt needed nor is it a Grand plan to have increased food production.  Not to mention Plymouth doesnt have RLVs so a space station would be a waste for them.

Offline Rags

Agri-station
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2006, 10:53:30 AM »
I agree entirely that this idea is a logistical nightmare and most unlikely yo succeced but for the sake of argument lets say that you don't need a rocket to get food back down, you could just shove it in a container and let it frop back to earth,
but from where would you get the blast proof containers from..........???????

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Agri-station
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2006, 01:51:19 PM »
With the amount of food you would be dropping to make any difference.  It would Burn up on the atmosphere.  You cant just plunge into it you have to come in at angles.  Which means you only going to be able to drop it any where close to the colony once every 24 hours.

Offline Skydock Command

Agri-station
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2006, 05:33:40 PM »
How about a small automated 1 way shuttle thing. Ill try and get a pic. How would I post it in the gallary though?

Offline White Claw

Agri-station
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2006, 06:38:16 PM »
Even with a one-way shuttle type of craft, you still have to get those into orbit.